CBD oil for skin health - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

FWIW I have been giving my dog HIGH levels of CBD to control his epilepsy for like a year now. I'm talking 250 - 300mg PER DAY.

I once did the math on the cannapet capsules and they came out to approx 5-6mg of CBD each. So I am essentially giving an ENTIRE BOTTLE every day.

CBD does have side effects. Especially at the higher levels, though the do seem less pronounced than traditional medicines. In my own dog I have seen:

Increased Appetite (this is more pronounced when I use products derived from MMJ as opposed to industrial hemp)

Dry Mouth

Mild sedation (he still has his get up and go, but he is just a bit more mellow - less likely to get off the couch if he knocks the toy he was lightly playing with off)

I saw no side effects in him when he was at the lower levels of CBD most people use (Seizure control just seems to take more of the stuff)

Personally, I would NOT be comfortable using something like zyrtec as a prophylactic for staph. A 2015 study found a link between certain types of antihistamines and LONG TERM cognitive impairment. (Cumulative Use of Strong Anticholinergics and Incident Dementia) and of course with zyrtec in particular there is antihistamine dependence and the crappy side effects that go along with withdrawl when you go off of it.

@wolfy dog

I can see CBD oil helping, it's a good anti-inflammatory for skin conditions - so less overall itching and less chance of a scratch letting the buggers take hold on the skin. Personally though, I would do a 2 punch combo. Something like CBD oil internally for inflammation and also an essential oil skin and coat conditioner to reduce overall microbe numbers on the skin it's self. Lemongrass oil has been shown effective against MRSA in studies (Evaluation of Topical Gel Bases Formulated with Various Essential Oils for Antibacterial Activity against Methicillin- Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus - M Shukr, GF Metwally)

Look into wondercide's lemongrass formula. Protect against both the invisible bugs and the big ones

Do the things!

Last edited by voodoolamb; 04-20-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
FWIW I have been giving my dog HIGH levels of CBD to control his epilepsy for like a year now. I'm talking 250 - 300mg PER DAY.

I once did the math on the cannapet capsules and they came out to approx 5-6mg of CBD each. So I am essentially giving an ENTIRE BOTTLE a day.

CBD does have side effects. Especially at the higher levels, though the do seem less pronounced than traditional medicines. In my own dog I have seen:

Increased Appetite (this is more pronounced when I use products derived from MMJ as opposed to industrial hemp)

Dry Mouth

Mild sedation (he still has his get up and go, but he is just a bit more mellow - less likely to get off the couch if he knocks the toy he was lightly playing with off)

I saw no side effects in him when he was at the lower levels of CBD most people use (Seizure control just seems to take more of the stuff)

Personally, I would NOT be comfortable using something like zyrtec as a prophylactic for staph. A 2015 study found a link between certain types of antihistamines and LONG TERM cognitive impairment. (Cumulative Use of Strong Anticholinergics and Incident Dementia) and of course with zyrtec in particular there is antihistamine dependence and the crappy side effects that go along with withdrawl when you go off of it.

@wolfy dog

I can see CBD oil helping, it's a good anti-inflammatory for skin conditions - so less overall itching and less chance of a scratch letting the buggers take hold on the skin. Personally though, I would do a 2 punch combo. Something like CBD oil internally for inflammation and also an essential oil skin and coat conditioner to reduce overall microbe numbers on the skin it's self. Lemongrass oil has been shown effective against MRSA in studies (Evaluation of Topical Gel Bases Formulated with Various Essential Oils for Antibacterial Activity against Methicillin- Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus - M Shukr, GF Metwally)

Look into wondercide's lemongrass formula. Protect against both the invisible bugs and the big ones
Great info! I didnít realize lemongrass was effective against MRSA. Looks like that will be the scent I order next time.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

At what concentration was the lemongrass tested? I wonder if the Wondercide products are high enough? Or else the EO needs to be put in a bottle with a carrier at the recommended level? Any thoughts on whether dogs with grass allergies are excluded from this EO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Great info! I didnít realize lemongrass was effective against MRSA. Looks like that will be the scent I order next time.
Yes! Thyme oil and Tea Tree oil is also effective against staph. Tea tree oil has a higher risk of toxicity though so I prefer it for small things like cuts and abrasions and I couldn't think of a widely available commercial thyme oil product lol

I am sure that there are others that have shown atleast somewhat effective against staph, but those were all I could think of off the top of my head.

Do the things!
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I've fostered or overseen treatment on at least 20 dogs with staph -- sometimes but not always secondary to other skin issues (demodex, allergies, or a wicked combination). Some of them had deep, colonized infections and others just light little patches.

The one thing that allows healing to really begin is to bathe at least weekly or more with a veterinary chlorhexadine shampoo -- there's no risk of resistance with it, and it even kills resistant staph if you leave it on for 5-10 minutes. It doesn't foam and it's designed to not strip coat oils. You can buy it on Amazon for around $10. Follow directions exactly, and NEVER put it on the head (neck and below only, to ensure it comes nowhere close to the eyes!).

Knocking down the microbe count topically allows the body internally to catch up and start healing. It helps us keep many of them off months-long cycles of antibiotics, esp. if we catch it early -- and this is a HUGE benefit. It also protects the people because staph is zoonotic.

If the staph is secondary, simply controlling it with antimicrobial topical baths will allow you to address whatever is going on internally that's creating an environment hospitable to the staph -- whether its allergies, parasites, etc., there is nearly always some immune or auto-immune underlying illness that is at the root of it. Solve that, and the skin heals.

Until the skin heals, though, I would recommend that you not fool around, or you may end up with a human catching it -- and if you're not sure whether it's already resistant, your vet can send it out for a culture. There's a lot of resistant staph ALREADY out in the community, and it can be very, very hard to treat once it's too late for topicals (deeply colonized), so I prefer be aggressive with topicals before that happens and avoid bigger problems later.

Vetericyn (hypochlorous acid) is also supposed to help with staph, so in between baths, spot-spray several times a day! They also just came out with a new shampoo foam, so that may offer another option for the antimicrobial bathing -- I haven't tried it yet though! It doesn't have the same active ingredient as the spray though, so I've contacted them to find out if the medicated version has been tested on staph.
I am using that shampoo and continue it after the 5 day Bethagen spray( antibiotic + cortizone) treatment that cleared it up nicely. Now it is wait and see. Her skin looks good. How long after do you quit the shampooing?
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Do you have any links for the correlation to lyme?
I will try to find links --

Know of 2 Lyme literate clinics that use it --
know of a vet who uses it when with concerted effort , all options used,
does use cbd oil -- relatively new appoach , appears to help -- watch out
for herxing ---
the itchies could be from any pathogenic infectious agent https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ple/415809001/

lyme is a broad name - tick borne diseases have many many co-infections,
many many pathogens including bacteria , viruses and parasites
mycoplasma , anaplasmosis , spirochetal organisms "malaria like"

last point about spirochetal diseases show that anti-malarials such as quinine and cbd oil are ibeneficial

artemisin another anti infective -- usnea an anti infective

I have every book written by Buhner and several others specializing in Lyme .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tea tree in a salve made it very aggressive.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

It depends on the dog. If it's a one-off little patch, I'd go maybe a couple of weeks. If it's recurring, I'd keep it up at least a month, though I'd be more cautious about using cortizone long-term (which is what you are using) -- check with your vet about that.

Make sure you are also washing dog bedding in very hot water -- a capful of tea tree oil or some other disinfectant is a good idea for the laundry too. There shouldn't be enough left after the rinse cycle to risk toxicity (unlike direct application). If your washer has a sanitize cycle, definitely use it for the dog laundry!

Household cleanup is an issue too when a dog with staph is around. If you are trying to reduce chemical loads, Seventh Gen now makes a spray disinfectant with the active ingredient in thyme oil (designed to be used kind of like Lysol spray), and it's labeled as 99.9% effective on staph, e. coli, salmonella , flu, etc. I've been using it for cleanup in the dog meat-prep area, and it doesn't trigger breathing problems for me even if the windows are closed (I'm pretty sensitive). It costs under $5 at Target (and is frequently on sale there). (Otherwise a 10% bleach solution should work too, but only if left wet for 10 min, and it's critical to open windows and put a fan on with that stuff -- it's rough on the airways.)

Last edited by Magwart; 04-20-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Elite Member

Zyrtec, Claritan, and a few others I have tried REALLY mess me up. Like too punchy to safely drive. I was given for....wait for it....my dog allergies lol

Another thing besides CBD oil that may help all that ails you without any known adverse side effects is LOCAL raw honey. It has all natural little fighting things in it that are specific for your area. Has to be from local hives.

My son has seizures, and am thinking of trying CBD oil with him. They are focal point seizures related to autism though. He just blanks, and then has to go to sleep. No tremors or eye rolling or anything. Sometimes he wets himself.

After reading this I think I am going to try it for my pit.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
At what concentration was the lemongrass tested? I wonder if the Wondercide products are high enough? Or else the EO needs to be put in a bottle with a carrier at the recommended level? Any thoughts on whether dogs with grass allergies are excluded from this EO?
The MIC in that study for lemongrass was 30 μl. Wondercide lemon grass is 1.5% lemongrass essential oil. If I did my math correct that is pretty well above the MIC, albeit the carriers are different.

Not a substitute for something like chlorhexidine while fighting an active infection, but if we are talking about a long term prophylactic against staph - IMHO better to go EO route than have the flora on your dog develop resistance to the big guns. Yes chlorhex resistant staph is rare at just under 2% - but it is still not worth the risk to me. I personally would feel more comfortable using Chlorhex for a few weeks after confirmed out breaks and then an essential oil year round for dogs prone to staph infections.

Taxonomically lemon grass is as far from good ole' kentucky blue lawn grass as maize is. Same family, different genus. Safe money that grass allergy dogs would not react, but of course YMMV. Always spot test to check for allergies first.

Do the things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page