German Shepherds Forum banner

Sanus Biotex

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tropicalgirl72 
#1 ·
Does anybody have experience using this for a dog with DM?

Reactions: patriciadavieau
#2 ·
If this is the stuff that came out a few years ago, most of us didn't think it would be of any help. Dr Clemmons, who did the first DM research on GSDs through the University of Florida years ago, had some compounds I ordered for my first DM do back in the late 90's early 2000's. It came from Westlabs. Two were RX compounds, the other partial compound of the vitamins and supplements he recommended. I tried it once but still had to add too much. He was the only vet that ever came up with a protocol for trying to keep DM dogs mobile. If I can find the link, I will post it here. He is no longer doing the research, which was pretty much unfunded except by private donations. He may have retired from the university also.

Reactions: carmspack
#4 ·
Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds This doesn't look like it will work. let me know. I can maybe send you a private link? Not good with some computer stuff. You could try to google Dr Clemmons and DM and see if you can find it
Reading with interest here as we may be starting this journey. The last update to the site is 2002. Does anyone here know of any more recent studies and/or treatments? I will keep googling Dr. Clemmons' work and post if I come across anything.

#5 ·
there are many things which can affect peripheral nerve sensation loss .

DM is often the diagnosis that is given - assumed .

I read Clemmons throughout the years he was doing research .

now we have other things on the horizon such as faulty gene deletion .

this is a copy of some stuff I shared with the forum going back to 2016

perspective Degenerative Myelopathy - Using the DNA test
excerpt from above link
" For breeds with a high frequency of the DM mutation, it will take wise use of the test and several generations to maintian a healthy and diverse gene pool while reducing the prevalence of DM. It is important for breeders and owners to keep in mind all the traits present in an individual dog, and not to simply breed a test result. We encourage breeders to DNA test potential breeding stock and consider the results of the DM test as part of their evaluation and decision-making process."

outside influences , your management , basic good idea no matter what
copy from same link
" Factors that may influence the age of onset of symptoms are the topic of current research - at this time we cannot predict which of the genetically at risk dogs will have an early appearance of clinical signs, and which will have a delayed onset."

Diet -- inflammation is a key initiating factor in many degenerative diseases, including joint issues and the nervous system.
Degenerative Myelopathy is suspected to have an auto-immune connection.
When the digestive system is flawed , several problems including allergies, sensitivities, IBS, and more serious
inflammation driven ailments happen.
DM is the immune system turning on itself .
Even if the dog has a chance of DM you can suppress the disease process .
Put these dietary aides to use ---- antioxidants , fish oil EPA/DHA , phosphatidylcholine sourced from egg YOLKS, sunflower seed lecithin, liver* -- full 8 compound vitamin E , http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/12592...German-shephep
quick quote from above link "However, there are indications that vitamin E deficiency may be involved in the pathogenesis of DM. Therefore, we analyzed the expression and the nucleotide sequence of the canine alpha-tocopherol transfer protein (alpha Ttp) of German shepherd dogs with DM in order to determine whether a deficiency or a defect of the alpha Ttp could be a primary factor in the pathogenesis of DM"

* more on liver --- one of those offal foods that have fallen out of disfavour in our own diets .
Liver is a great source of Vitamin B 12 . Neuropathy and a deficiency of this vitamin do have a proven link.

somewhere in the forum archives there should be some of my posts covering nutrition and DM

**************'
back to 2018 --- those neuroprotective fats are so important - from prenatal right on through

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.