Help! Protein in Urine! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Accepting diet deficiency/imbalance a quick google search for reasons a dog would spill protein in the urine I came up with this based on OP's health history of his young dog.

"He had bit of issues with ALP in his liver test when he was young. It was 160 or so." [/COLOR]

ALP levels can however be higher than normal in growing young dogs due to bone growth. So this may not be of any significance.

"In december'16 I got his x-ray and scanning done. Mild increase in liver density was shown in x-ray but the scan came out normal"

*Lipemia- basically High Cholesterol can be a cause. High cholesterol can be from to much fat in the diet and the wrong types of fat.

*Hypothyroidism can be a cause of high cholesterol.

*Diabetes can also cause high cholesterol. (This doesn't seem likely based on age.)

*A more benign explanation is strenuous exercise can cause protein in the urine as well. If you are exercising the dog or playing hard before the vet visit this could also explain protein in the urine.

Op you might be looking at the wrong organ. It may not be the kidney's but rather the liver. What color is your dogs poop? Is is greasy looking? Mucousy? Solid? Mushy? Yes yes we really want to know about the poop.

Should the protein spillage be do to lipemia it is likely of dietary origin and easy enough to fix with dietary changes. Since you state he had a scan that was normal you can likely rule out more serious liver diseases at this point.

I feel like such a young dog shouldn't be having these issues.

Ziva 03.07.2013

Last edited by Springbrz; 05-10-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Master Member

Ok I just wanna go lab by lab here before OP gets too excited about his dog having liver problems. Ops lab values in parenthesis after normal range

Potassium - 3.6-5.5 (3.7)
Creatinine - .5-1.6 (1.3)
BUN - 6-25 (16)
Calcium - 8.9-11.4 (9.2)
Phos - 2.5-6 (3)
ALP - 10-150 (160)
Mag - 1.5-2.5 (2.7) * and trending down

So as you can see all lab values are in a normal range minus ALP and mag. Now as said ALP can be elevated due to the pup growing and it isn't far outside of normal. Mag is also slightly elevated, however I'm going to say this isn't an issue for 2 reasons. 1 it doesn't appear that your dog is having any complications from it - which would be pretty serious - and 2 it's trending down which is good. So back to the kidney issue - like your vet said he's fine there. The excess protein in the urine is 99.99999% likely to be caused by the excess protein in his diet. Like I said it has nowhere to go but out and it does that thru urine. It's completely harmless unless the dog is dehydrated and then it can be hard on the kidneys. The vet also ruled out any liver issues through labs and imaging. So I'd say he's good to go there.

I think op should focus on fixing his diet and then maybe after a few months of a balanced and complete diet revisit the vet.
Springbrz likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
All of the tests that apply to your dogs kidneys look like they're in normal range. Bun/creatinine are fine. Phos and k aren't elevated to indicate any problem with kidneys. I'll echo what your vet has said and said there's nothing wrong with his kidneys. Why don't you trust what he says? I'm just curious here. I think your priority should be getting the dog on a balanced complete diet. Is there anything other than the dog being more lethargic and peeing more often that's got you worried? I mean does he seem healthy to you?
He poops once or twice a day. The quantity of poop seems larger to me. Feels like he defecates almost as much as he eats. On top of it, that p+ and this mild increase in creatinine everytime. I feel the vet(vets, actually, all of them) ain't bothering since the problem is mild right now.

The dog is very active and doesn't pee often either. It's just the quantity of pee that worried me earlier but you guys dispelled that. He eats well. Hunger is fine. He is a bouncy li'l fur ball otherwise.

Just that poop problem and minor glitches over the time like mange, ear infection, pooping, gastric reflux which worries me.

Maybe I should give his immunity time to develop. And of course, the changes/improvements in diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I think your priority should be getting the dog on a balanced complete diet
agreed

the answer has been given so many times -- the dog's diet is nutritionally deficient .
Yup. Working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 AM
Master Member

I think you're on the right track with fixing the diet. I don't think your vets are ignoring a problem because it's mild tho. Typically the earlier you catch something the better the outlook so I can't imagine why they would ignore it til it gets worse. Keep us up to date and if kibble is out of the question good luck with the diet. I'm sure people will steer you in the right direction as you go
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
Accepting diet deficiency/imbalance a quick google search for reasons a dog would spill protein in the urine I came up with this based on OP's health history of his young dog.

"He had bit of issues with ALP in his liver test when he was young. It was 160 or so." [/COLOR]

ALP levels can however be higher than normal in growing young dogs due to bone growth. So this may not be of any significance.

"In december'16 I got his x-ray and scanning done. Mild increase in liver density was shown in x-ray but the scan came out normal"

*Lipemia- basically High Cholesterol can be a cause. High cholesterol can be from to much fat in the diet and the wrong types of fat.

*Hypothyroidism can be a cause of high cholesterol.

*Diabetes can also cause high cholesterol. (This doesn't seem likely based on age.)

*A more benign explanation is strenuous exercise can cause protein in the urine as well. If you are exercising the dog or playing hard before the vet visit this could also explain protein in the urine.

Op you might be looking at the wrong organ. It may not be the kidney's but rather the liver. What color is your dogs poop? Is is greasy looking? Mucousy? Solid? Mushy? Yes yes we really want to know about the poop.

Should the protein spillage be do to lipemia it is likely of dietary origin and easy enough to fix with dietary changes. Since you state he had a scan that was normal you can likely rule out more serious liver diseases at this point.

I feel like such a young dog shouldn't be having these issues.
I got his LFT done too.

ALP, SGPT(ALT) were 151, 44 last time(feb). Now, it is 113 and 70. SGPT increased but still in range. SGOT(AST), Protein, Albumin, Goblulin, A/G ratio were all almost same/normal as earlier. Direct Bilirubin is 0.3. His total Bilirubin was always 0.9-1, since puppyhood, same now.

I got his Cholesterol, Triglys tested in Feb, almost @ lower end of normal. Did not get it checked now.

@ poop: Yup. I understand the importance of poop. It is usually solid with mushy/semi-solid poops coming now and then. Color varies. Usually, yellow to brown. On chicken and rice, it's brown. It he has milk or other light coloured food, it's yellow. No mucous.

Earlier, he used to have bit of grey-ish mixed in his yellow poop. That is gone now. But once a week or so, I do see li'l paleness in some parts of his poop.

I am already giving him liver/kidney cleanser since few months. Will milk thistle help? Don't want to dump him with too much medication.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok I just wanna go lab by lab here before OP gets too excited about his dog having liver problems. Ops lab values in parenthesis after normal range

BUN - 6-25 (16)
Calcium - 8.9-11.4 (9.2)
Phos - 2.5-6 (3)
ALP - 10-150 (160)

So as you can see all lab values are in a normal range minus ALP and mag. Now as said ALP can be elevated due to the pup growing and it isn't far outside of normal. Mag is also slightly elevated, however I'm going to say this isn't an issue for 2 reasons. 1 it doesn't appear that your dog is having any complications from it - which would be pretty serious - and 2 it's trending down which is good. So back to the kidney issue - like your vet said he's fine there. The excess protein in the urine is 99.99999% likely to be caused by the excess protein in his diet. Like I said it has nowhere to go but out and it does that thru urine. It's completely harmless unless the dog is dehydrated and then it can be hard on the kidneys. The vet also ruled out any liver issues through labs and imaging. So I'd say he's good to go there.

I think op should focus on fixing his diet and then maybe after a few months of a balanced and complete diet revisit the vet.
Calcium is 8.7. It was 9.2, went to 8.4 increasing again now.

ALP - Also, it came down to 113 now. It was in 160's initially, that's when I got the scan done which was last november.

As i mentioned in the post before this, only SGPT(ALT) values showed variation this time. Up to 70 from 44.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiap View Post
Quote:

BUN - 6-25 (16)
Calcium - 8.9-11.4 (9.2)
Phos - 2.5-6 (3)
ALP - 10-150 (160)

Calcium is 8.7. It was 9.2, went to 8.4 increasing again now.

ALP - Also, it came down to 113 now. It was in 160's initially, that's when I got the scan done which was last november.

As i mentioned in the post before this, only SGPT(ALT) values showed variation this time. Up to 70 from 44.
ALT normal range is 5-107 so your dog is within normal limits there too. When mag gets too high it acts as a calcium channel blocker and probably explains the lower calcium. Bouncing back is a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page