Update: Vomiting/Anorexia Every 12th Day - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

How do you make bone broth? I'm not a meat eater, so I don't really know the first thing about any of that.

He had off and on diarrhea/loose/soft stools but for the most part they have been well formed lately. Actually better now than he was when he first got sick.

I really feel like I'm in over my head and overwhelmed.

Where would I get betaine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

I believe the Ziwi will be a lot cheaper if you get it directly from Chewy on the auto ship program than from your local store. You can stop the "auto ship" at any time.

Notes about Bones for Broth:

“Perhaps the most important caveat when making broth, whether you're using chicken or beef, is to make sure they're from organically-raised, pastured or grass-fed animals. ” (Mercola)

Sally Fallon of Weston Price Foundation: “Chickens raised in confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs) tend to produce stock that doesn't gel, and this gelatin has long been valued for its therapeutic properties. Besides that, CAFO animals are fed an unnatural diet that is not beneficial for their intestinal makeup, and they're also given a variety of veterinary drugs and growth promoters. You don't want any of these potentially harmful additives in your broth, so make sure to start off with an organically-raised product.”

Choose bones of the meat you will be weaning on to.....in your case it would be Lamb Bones.

If your dog does not have any sensitivities, you can use a combination of bone types. But since you are going to be feeding a limited diet, you will only want the bones of the protein you choose.

Bone Broth
*Purchase about 3 pounds of the bone type you will be using.
*Place into large stock pot and cover with about 4 quarts of purified water.
*Add 2 Tablespoons of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. The Organic ACV helps draw the minerals out of the bones.
*Bring to a full boil then reduce the heat to low, setting it at a very slow simmer for about 12 hours. I put a lid on the stock pot for most of the time, then leave it off or canted (so steam can escape) for the last couple of hours.
*Let it set until cool

*Strain with a mesh strainer so that there are not any small pieces of bone in the broth
*P
lace in the refrigerator to cool.
*When broth is colder, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can spoon it out. Below will be the "jelly" you want.
*At this point it depends on how quickly you will use what you have. You can leave what you made in the fridge (it will be good for about a week or so) or you can transfer to jars and freeze some then un-thaw one when you need it, and just spoon out desired amount.
I transfer the "jelly" into 9x13 pans (that have been greased with olive or coconut oil) and return to the fridge until it is "set" and hard. Then, I cut them into squares, and transfer the squares on to a greased cookie sheet, freeze them, then transfer the broth cubes into a freezer zip lock bag. I keep them in the freezer and pull out what I need for the day.
I've also put the un-harden jelly into ice cube trays, freeze, pop out and place the broth ice cubes into freezer zip lock baggies and return to freezer.

You have to go with a "weaning on diet" that YOU are comfortable with and makes sense to YOU and your particular dogs problem. This way you won't feel "overwhelmed". One step at a time! You can do this!

Moms
kimbale likes this.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
I believe the Ziwi will be a lot cheaper if you get it directly from Chewy on the auto ship program than from your local store. You can stop the "auto ship" at any time.

Notes about Bones for Broth:

“Perhaps the most important caveat when making broth, whether you're using chicken or beef, is to make sure they're from organically-raised, pastured or grass-fed animals. ” (Mercola)

Sally Fallon of Weston Price Foundation: “Chickens raised in confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs) tend to produce stock that doesn't gel, and this gelatin has long been valued for its therapeutic properties. Besides that, CAFO animals are fed an unnatural diet that is not beneficial for their intestinal makeup, and they're also given a variety of veterinary drugs and growth promoters. You don't want any of these potentially harmful additives in your broth, so make sure to start off with an organically-raised product.”

Choose bones of the meat you will be weaning on to.....in your case it would be Lamb Bones.

If your dog does not have any sensitivities, you can use a combination of bone types. But since you are going to be feeding a limited diet, you will only want the bones of the protein you choose.

Bone Broth
*Purchase about 3 pounds of the bone type you will be using.
*Place into large stock pot and cover with about 4 quarts of purified water.
*Add 2 Tablespoons of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. The Organic ACV helps draw the minerals out of the bones.
*Bring to a full boil then reduce the heat to low, setting it at a very slow simmer for about 12 hours. I put a lid on the stock pot for most of the time, then leave it off or canted (so steam can escape) for the last couple of hours.
*Let it set until cool

*Strain with a mesh strainer so that there are not any small pieces of bone in the broth
*P
lace in the refrigerator to cool.
*When broth is colder, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can spoon it out. Below will be the "jelly" you want.
*At this point it depends on how quickly you will use what you have. You can leave what you made in the fridge (it will be good for about a week or so) or you can transfer to jars and freeze some then un-thaw one when you need it, and just spoon out desired amount.
I transfer the "jelly" into 9x13 pans (that have been greased with olive or coconut oil) and return to the fridge until it is "set" and hard. Then, I cut them into squares, and transfer the squares on to a greased cookie sheet, freeze them, then transfer the broth cubes into a freezer zip lock bag. I keep them in the freezer and pull out what I need for the day.
I've also put the un-harden jelly into ice cube trays, freeze, pop out and place the broth ice cubes into freezer zip lock baggies and return to freezer.

You have to go with a "weaning on diet" that YOU are comfortable with and makes sense to YOU and your particular dogs problem. This way you won't feel "overwhelmed". One step at a time! You can do this!

Moms
Thanks. I hate to support chewy over the local store but if I have to, I will... They don't yet have the Tripe & Lamb flavor.

In the meantime, he is doing well and LOVES the Answers raw goat's milk. He also liked Ziwi enough for me to use it as treats. I will have to actually worry about over-feeding him if he's eating Ziwi!

Side note, we went today for a run-through of the Therapy Dog International certification test and he did AMAZING. The only shepherd out of the 12 dogs that will be testing in three weeks. I'm so proud of him and so happy that he's doing well enough to be able to go to classes and continue our training!
lalabug and kimbale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
Side note, we went today for a run-through of the Therapy Dog International certification test and he did AMAZING. The only shepherd out of the 12 dogs that will be testing in three weeks. I'm so proud of him and so happy that he's doing well enough to be able to go to classes and continue our training!
W O W !!!

That is FANTASTIC !

Congratulations!!!!

post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I hate to support chewy over the local store but if I have to, I will... They don't yet have the Tripe & Lamb flavor.

In the meantime, he is doing well and LOVES the Answers raw goat's milk. He also liked Ziwi enough for me to use it as treats. I will have to actually worry about over-feeding him if he's eating Ziwi!

Yay Liffey!!! What a great boy!! So glad you will get to move on with the testing! Sounds like you found a winner with the Ziwi and goats milk... fingers crossed for you that this works for him!!

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
Yay Liffey!!! What a great boy!! So glad you will get to move on with the testing! Sounds like you found a winner with the Ziwi and goats milk... fingers crossed for you that this works for him!!
I don't know yet whether the goat's milk is making a difference because anything I try has to work for him for over 2 weeks, but I do know these things...

We are on Day 19 without throwing up. Previous record was like 13.

Poops have been good for awhile. Better than before he got sick. No diarrhea in ... I can't remember the last time!!!!

He likes the Fromm Heartland Gold and I think this is the most compatible food that we have tried. But it has soooo many protein sources... I'd like to narrow it down. I hate to switch foods when this one is "relatively" good, and sort of working for him. I have a bag of Acana limited ingredient Lamb but I'm so hesitant to throw it into the mix. I think I'll wait another few weeks and see what happens with the combination of goat's milk, Ziwipeak, and Fromm.

@lalabug how's your girl doing???
lalabug likes this.
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know yet whether the goat's milk is making a difference because anything I try has to work for him for over 2 weeks, but I do know these things...

We are on Day 19 without throwing up. Previous record was like 13.

Poops have been good for awhile. Better than before he got sick. No diarrhea in ... I can't remember the last time!!!!

He likes the Fromm Heartland Gold and I think this is the most compatible food that we have tried. But it has soooo many protein sources... I'd like to narrow it down. I hate to switch foods when this one is "relatively" good, and sort of working for him. I have a bag of Acana limited ingredient Lamb but I'm so hesitant to throw it into the mix. I think I'll wait another few weeks and see what happens with the combination of goat's milk, Ziwipeak, and Fromm.

@lalabug how's your girl doing???
YAAAASSSSSSS!!!! I count that as a definite WIN!! I really really hope Liff continues on this track and you can eventually see a complete healing. The cycles drove me insane with Ghost and I know your struggle is just as unnerving.

She is doing absolutely amazing... a completely healthy and happy dog. There were dark times when I was at wits end thinking I was just going to have to throw in the towel and live with 'diarrhea dog' for the rest of our lives. Since starting the LID food with the pre/probiotics and Feedsentials... everything has been great! Hang in there! Liff is so lucky to have you so determined to get him well again!! <3

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

hey Lala. Very pleased but not surprised by the results.

The Sunday Sundae paved the way by taking care of the entire digestive system which does include liver and gall and mucosal lining and leaky gut , and taking away the inflammation.

Feed-Sentials is providing whole food , mineral and vitamin rich , nutrition .

I wouldn't be concerned with needing a limited ingredient main food base anymore.
lalabug likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

sat through a webinar last night that featured gut problems and probiotics --- Leaky Gut

I am even more convinced that this is a gastric problem and that hcl -- changing the acid level for digestion
which includes the use of betaine will help turn things around.
Momto2GSDs, lalabug and Liffey like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

It's been 12 days since he felt sick, knock on wood. He's getting 4 cups of Fromm Heartland Gold, a few tablespoons of raw goat's milk am and pm, and a handful of Ziwipeak treats.

The first two photos are when he weighed 77lb in December, and the last two photos are today, April, he weighs about 85-86lb. Any thoughts on this?

He's actually been eating more than I am willing to feed him. I used to leave his bowl full and he would sort of self-regulate but now he's been emptying his bowl and I don't feel like he currently needs more than 4 cups a day (Fromm guidelines says he should eat about 3.5-4). Im happy he's enjoying his food again but a little worried (I am always paranoid now) that his increased appetite is an indication of something else.

I also got a water filter that supposedly filters out lead (we have a problem with it here in Pittsburgh)... And filters a bunch of other things.

It's been a day over 3 weeks since he threw up. I am hesitant to change anything since he seems okay for the most part. When I worry, I give him some canned food with Pepcid. I think we're on the right track? I actually think he does not need to gain any more weight. At his lowest, he weighed 74 lb, and now I think 86.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4480.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	416769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	416777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6036.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	416785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	416793  
lalabug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page