Mild Hip dysplasia Detected in my 10 month old gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Mild Hip dysplasia Detected in my 10 month old gsd

Hello everyone.
on 4th october i noticed that my 10 month old Gsd had some problem in walking properly from his rear legs(LEFT to be precise). i took him to my Vet and he told me to get a X ray done.i went for an xray and the doctor who did the x ray said that he has mild Hip dysplasia and it would grow with time.
i took the xray to the vet and he told me that he has very mild dysplasia next to none.
he told me that there are only precautions that i can take and just like diabetes its an uncurable disease and only it can be controlled by giving him proper medicines and not letting him gain extra weight. and also siad that it is very mild.
then i went to the person from whom i bought the puppy he told me that he can guarantee that its not genetically inherited and told me that it is due to the slippery floors.

i am unable to understand that HD can never be developed in a single day and also exactly on 4th october i noticed he had problem. before that he was fine.
but many a times he had the problem of growing pains and it would go by itself in a day or two.
but also he always had growing pains in his front leg..

the vet is saying that he is walking properly but while standing he would not let his left rear leg to stay ont he ground( I MEAN he would keep lifting his rear leg from the ground but as soon as he start walking he would walk perfectly).

there are slippery tiles in my house and i cannot cover the whole house with carpets or rugs but in some major areas i can definitely and will go for carpets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:19 PM

The 10 most important things to know about canine hip dysplasia - The Institute of Canine Biology

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Elite Member

You might seek out a chiropractor.. He might have a subluxation that is pressing on a nerve that affects his leg.. Sometimes, vets (and dr's) give an answer because that is what is expected out of them, not always because it is true... Which might explain the different answers you received... Hope he heals up quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

relax.

the pup is 10 months of age .
this was the comment from the vet "he has very mild dysplasia next to none"

first of all that isn't even a rating -- borderline, mild, moderate , severe .

the diagnosis may be a result of poor positioning -- show the digital x ray if you can

secondly this is not how a dog with dysplasia acts . There are dogs with frank moderate and
some even severe that are only discovered when xrayed .

"but also he always had growing pains in his front leg..
the vet is saying that he is walking properly but while standing he would not let his left rear leg to stay ont he ground( I MEAN he would keep lifting his rear leg from the ground but as soon as he start walking he would walk perfectly)."

this does sound like a dog with PANOSTEITIS - inflammation which is self limiting , leg shifting . Does NOT need surgery .

It has nothing to do with slippery floors. There is a bit of a familial trait (hereditary) in that some lines are regular events. Give the dog natural anti inflammatories , allow the dog to choose his activity level - no abrupt twists and turns and stops and goes (ball play) , no jumping . Protein helps build collagen and muscle - feed regular high quality clean bioavailable protein .

go back and talk with your breeder . If they are good they should be conversant in Pano and growing pains.
They should be made aware that this dog is going through it . Encourage them to reach out to other puppy owners so that there is not a group of concerned and worried puppy owners .

Why did the vet not even consider this ? - so common , so common for male gsd of your dog's age.
grrr

unless the dog is in great pain I would let him feel a little uncomfortable. Pain has a purpose . That is to get one to stop doing something which will damage or prolong a condition. Numbing drugs can get the dog feeling just fine and then he tears around. Let him listen to his body.

the dog may be a little depressed , moppy , go off his food , again normal - but will end (self limiting)

here is the kicker . You can go through it and think Great ! and then you have another bout . This can go on and off till the dog is mature , close to 2 years.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

yep, sounds like pano.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Certainly, keep him lean and let him exercise. But I agree with letting him have some pain, rather than dumping rymidal or other nasty meds into him. It is self-limiting, and he will get over it.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

I will say that I have seen some of the worst cases of dysplasia in dogs under a year--crippling--like they couldn't walk. If I didn't see that first hand I might have a more let's see take on it.

In this case xrays were done and it was determined to be hip Dysplasia by a vet, so why think it's anything else? Sure some dogs never show signs, others show subtle signs and then there are those that it comes out of nowhere.

Is there a reason to not trust the vet or not treat it for what it was diagnosed?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Form the site mentioned above... "Puppies raised on slippery surfaces or with access to stairs when they are less than 3 months old have a higher risk of hip dysplasia"
Wow, thats kind of nerve racking.... Wish I had known it was such a risk, I'd have paid better mind to where and what my pup was doing... Unless this is just over paranoia?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I will say that I have seen some of the worst cases of dysplasia in dogs under a year--crippling--like they couldn't walk. If I didn't see that first hand I might have a more let's see take on it.

In this case xrays were done and it was determined to be hip Dysplasia by a vet, so why think it's anything else? Sure some dogs never show signs, others show subtle signs and then there are those that it comes out of nowhere.

Is there a reason to not trust the vet or not treat it for what it was diagnosed?
why ? for the reasons I have stated .
Positioning is very important.

plus the vet said "almost none" --- dog not even finished growing

plus the dog doesn't want to bear weight (standing) but when weight distribution shifts (motion) there is no problem . Dog's with a hip problem tend to show it more in motion.

if there is a problem I am the first to recommend an x ray. My history on the forum bears this out.
My own dogs are usually x rayed at 3 times in their life . A young preliminary to make an informed decision as to what their future may be . Certification , although most of my dogs leave and go to work before they are old enough for this - but will be xrayed again as a sale condition , so usually 18 to 20 months, and the third time is as an older dog - say 6 years , one at 8 to see what and if there have been changes.

the x ray can always be shown on the forum and sent to ofa for other input.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen hip dysplasia in a youngster. But the x-rays were definitely hip dysplasia and it wasn't a nothing yesterday and not holding weight on it today type of thing. It sounds like pano, age is right, more common in males, and it can cause fever, lack of appetite, lethargy, etc, or just a slight limp. If the x-rays did not look significant, then I would definitely look for something else. There is no rule saying it can't be pano on a dog that is slightly dysplastic. Slightly dysplastic usually doesn't have any symptoms at all. moderately dysplastic may not have any symptoms. So you want to know if it is the structure of the dog (dyplasia) or pano which should be evident as well with x-rays.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
why ? for the reasons I have stated .
Positioning is very important.

plus the vet said "almost none" --- dog not even finished growing

plus the dog doesn't want to bear weight (standing) but when weight distribution shifts (motion) there is no problem . Dog's with a hip problem tend to show it more in motion.

if there is a problem I am the first to recommend an x ray. My history on the forum bears this out.
My own dogs are usually x rayed at 3 times in their life . A young preliminary to make an informed decision as to what their future may be . Certification , although most of my dogs leave and go to work before they are old enough for this - but will be xrayed again as a sale condition , so usually 18 to 20 months, and the third time is as an older dog - say 6 years , one at 8 to see what and if there have been changes.

the x ray can always be shown on the forum and sent to ofa for other input.
From experience I can tell you that sometimes it's so subtle it is not seen. I never seen it come with my golden. He ran, played, jumped, never had issues getting up or down, did dock diving and all that stuff without any signs. At 15 months(he was not done growing either) he went outside to play and came back in with a dislocated hip. I cried when I seen the xrays. I felt like the worst dog owner because I never seen it, it just wasn't there to see. I wish I did xrays earlier--going firward I will with any dog I get.

With my GSD, kinda the same thing. Per the xrays they operated on the worse hip. Within 6 months that second hip was so full of arthritis and inflamed it became worse then the first hip. That was with swimming twice a week and supplements. The vet couldn't believe how bad it got so fast.

So all I'm saying is that its not impossible. It's not something that should be ruled out. Get that second opinion, get another xray etc. figure it out for sure and don't assume that it won't get worse.

The dog might only need supplements if it's not bad, but to do nothing is not an answer.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 10-06-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page