giardia and coccidia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

giardia and coccidia

friend got a pup from a breeder ( not a GSD) and I'm wondering if some issues are attributed to breeder. Not wanting to get breeder in trouble, don't even know who they are, but my daughter thought about gettiing a pup so wonder if the following would disqualify the choice.

First the friend was told to pick up pup at 7 weeks then the pup has puppy tested positive for giardia and coccidia.

I think I would look elsewhere but looking for more opinions.

Thanks

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

My breeder said Cocidia was in her soil and she always treated all pups for it and sent us home with medicine to give daily for a week. Two weeks after the litter was broken up, she called to say a pup had tested positive for giardia and to watch for it. My breeder was proactive which makes a difference, just my opinion.

Moriah
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Not a deal breaker for me- once giardia gets established... well hard to get rid of. but they should tell you about it and be proactive like Moriah said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 12:06 AM

these sound much scarier than they are.... almost anytime a dog has diarrhea and someone suggests "it's probably just a bug" - these are the "bugs". coccidia is more common in puppies where as giardia can affect anyone, including humans. symptoms are generally diarrhea or loose stools (blood, mucous or both can be present) but coccidia also carries the potential of vomiting or hives. hydration is key. and puppies should absolutely be treated where as some adult dogs can resolve it themselves.

fecal matter is the culprit, even the tiniest bit, so yeah it can be difficult to control/eliminate once established.

I work in kennel with an elaborate cleaning routine that takes place multiple times a day with a very expensive product and we still get a handful giardia cases per week.

to consider it a deal breaker for a breeder would be similar to pulling your kid from a daycare because they caught a cold.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 10-23-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page