Need advice on Giardia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Need advice on Giardia

WD is recovering from a major bout of Giardia. He is on Metronidazole (7 day treatment) to get on top of this. It is working and he doing well.
I want to continue the treatment with Kocci Free. Question: can I give this as soon as he has finished his antibiotics? For how long should he be treated with Kocci Free?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Knighted Member

Theoretically as soon as he is done with metronidazole treatment the giardi should be clear from his system.

Also keep in mind giardia is endemic in some areas, it is estimated 10% of dogs in colorado have giardia and dont show clinical signs. Personally I would prefer this as the system adjusts to the giardia.

Its just my opinion that after the metronidazole I wouldnt continue treatment with anything else. However the recommended treatment is 10 days if you do continue. You could even probably do 7 just fine as like I said the giardia should technically be cleared already.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Elite Member

What is Kocci Free?
Stella had giardia when she was younger....ugh. We had to do more than 1 round of metronidazole and panacur before we got rid of the buggers. And then we added a probiotic for her digestive system. I hope to never experience that again.

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Knighted Member

Kocci free is a natural herb supplement used to clear giardia, cysts, and gi bacteria. Recommended to use for about 10 days following diarrhea. From there I dont know much more and dont have any actual experience using it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

I have used Kocci free and it is FANTASTIC. I used it for Chama and for Rafi. It works really well. I didn't use anything else and they both tested clear afterwards.

Re: duration--I followed the directions. Herbs are very powerful so you do not want to keep him on it for longer than they recommend.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

He is clear! The last stools were soft and after eating a lamb neck and the next day a good meal of tripe, everything is fine. I have the Kocci Free available just in case he gets it again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

Good to hear he's clear. How do you think he got giardia?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No clue, he swims in all ponds and streams when he gets the chance, eats (coyote) poop etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page