Kira not a poop eater, but licking poop may be the cause for concern. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Kira not a poop eater, but licking poop may be the cause for concern.

I'm wondering if this is the cause for Kira's recent intestinal inflammation?

Kira has never been a poop eater. Even when our Maltese poops on her wee pad, Kira may occasionally sniff it, and walk away.

However, I just saw kira lick "animal poo" in my rear yard. It may have been from a cat, because we do have a couple strays in the neighborhood, and I have seen them on my property.

Yesterday, I took Kira for a walk around a local lake. It was a beautiful scenic trail, and there were no people or dogs. However, there were geese, and geese poop. And yep, in a flash, I caught kira licking it.

What's this attraction to cat and geese poop?

I'd also bet the farm that she had a little picnic in my backyard, and it was the cause of her intestinal infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Knighted Member

I think some dogs just like it. Unfortunate for us humans . My dogs love goose poop.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have never had critter poop cause any problems. I even asked the vet about it because mine are in the woods a lot and I have caught them snacking on deer poo before I say leave it. My observation is the dogs seen to like deer, rabbit, goat poo and avoid coyote and fox scat..........but they do sniff. Prolly figure those herbivores give them a nice dose of benefiical bacteria.

I was concerned about cross contamination (worms, bacteria) and the vet was not too concerned. Leptospirosis is shed in urine and she said most animal poo is actually pretty safe.........but that was one vet.............

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

I almost wish I could use goose poop for training treats for Cheyenne. She is not food motivated, so training has always been a challenge trying to find a high value treat that works for her. But she LOVES goose poop! Hmmmm...

-Jessica

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
I almost wish I could use goose poop for training treats for Cheyenne. She is not food motivated, so training has always been a challenge trying to find a high value treat that works for her. But she LOVES goose poop! Hmmmm...
Interesting.

Nice to know we're not alone.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

My friend actually DID use goat poop for training treats! It was the only thing her dog went crazy over. Ick is all I have to say on THAT matter. We just have not really had any exposure to goose poop with the current dogs.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
My friend actually DID use goat poop for training treats! It was the only thing her dog went crazy over.
At least goat poop is in nice, dry, hard little berries that are relatively inoffensive to handle!

My dogs love goat poop, goose poop, chicken poop, cat poop, horse poop... any kind of poop will do. Fortunately I haven't had one that eats its own poop. I just worm regularly and don't worry too much about it. It's gross, but not really harmful as far as I know.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

OMG I would do just about anything for my dogs, but training with poop is about ten steps over that line.

The only kind of wildlife poop I have hear that is dangerous is raccoon poop. It has some nasty stuff in it.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page