Any experience with Steroids and Antibiotics: Prednisone and Cephalexin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Any experience with Steroids and Antibiotics: Prednisone and Cephalexin

Titan has been itching like CRAZY since we moved to Florida last year, I have had him checked for fleas, skin problems, etc. and they just suggested changing foods and weren't much help. Then it started going away and came back with vengence in the last few months. I have been giving him benedryl but I took him in last Friday to the vets, a new one (who are awesome by the way) when I noticed scabs.

They gave me Steroids and Antibiotics, Prednisone and Cephalexin, to give to him. Steroids are 200 mg, twice a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days and then once every other day for 3 days and so on, just to get him to stop itching, then the antibiotics are for the scabs that he has, 2 pills, 500 mg, twice a day.

Does anyone have experience with these 2 drugs? I have noticed Titan drinking A LOT more which means a lot more potty breaks. He is also really lathargic and just lays around. He didn't even get really excited when I pulled out his leash this morning and last night when he came in from going potty he whined a little whenever I pet him. Just very very strange behavior for him. I did take him for a 2 mile walk this morning and he did fine. When we got to the dog park we played fetch which he initiated then walked back and he ate his breakfast and drank more water.

Are these common side effects of either drug? I am going to do some research on my own and call the vet, but wondered if anyone on here has had similar experiences.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 08-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

The vet should have told you what to expect when giving prednisone. It does make you very thirsty (and hungry) and can have a sedating effect on some dogs. It's only temporary, don't worry. One his skin clears up and you wean him off the predinose, he'll return to normal.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's what I just read too. She did mention the thristy and hungry, but I asked specifically about him being lethergic and they said it shouldn't. but now that 2 sources confirmed, I feel a bit better. I don't like when Titan isn't all bouncy and excited with every move I make.. it's weird!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Yes, the prednisone can make them very thirsty and hungry! As far as the lethargy, I do believe that can be a side effect, just keep an eye on him if it gets excessive, but as long as he is eating/drinking, I wouldnt worry too much.

When our Angel was on antibiotics and prednisone, she wasnt really lethargic, but her play style changed. She no longer had ANY interested in playing in the house - HAD to be outside; lost interest in her soccer balls but now LOVED tennis balls - that was basically ALL she would play with! Once off the prednisone for a day or two, she was back to herself, also playing inside, and ANY ball would do!!
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM

I am all too familiar with them. Mox was on them 3 different times for skin problems. I didn't notice lethargy, but she seriously chugged water. The lethargy could also be from the bacteria dying off faster than your dog is shedding them. "Herxing."

We learned her skin issues were signs of a bigger problem - ehrlichiosis. Hers were recurrent. It wasn't until a routine heartworm test that we found out she had the tick- borne disease. She's on doxycycline now, and there has been a HUGE improvement.

Our little dog had similar skin problems, but his was due to the heat. Once I clipped his hair down really short for the summer, all his itching cleared up.

Good luck! Hope your dog gets to feeling better soon!

Ashley
Beulaville, NC

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How odd! Weird how things can change like that. Titan was all for fetch outside, normal, but couldn't be bothered with a ball inside like normal.

I didn't think much was "wrong" necessarily just because he was eating and drinking still and still went for the whole walk with no problem. I just wondered if others experienced the same thing.. it makes me sad when he isn't boucing off the walls... I am sure I will eat those words later! haha

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
I am all too familiar with them. Mox was on them 3 different times for skin problems. I didn't notice lethargy, but she seriously chugged water. The lethargy could also be from the bacteria dying off faster than your dog is shedding them. "Herxing."

We learned her skin issues were signs of a bigger problem - ehrlichiosis. Hers were recurrent. It wasn't until a routine heartworm test that we found out she had the tick- borne disease. She's on doxycycline now, and there has been a HUGE improvement.

Our little dog had similar skin problems, but his was due to the heat. Once I clipped his hair down really short for the summer, all his itching cleared up.

Good luck! Hope your dog gets to feeling better soon!
Herxing... I will have to google that! lol. As well as Ehrlichiosis. He's alway been itchy, but not the scabbing itchy. Sometimes I have had to take his collar off so I can sleep in peace when he scratches! That's when I knew it was bad! They also suggested changing his food to a LID so I am looking at a new food for him.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Banned

200 mg. of prednisone!?? Does it say prednisone on the bottle??

I had an asthma attack while in Alaska, triggered by a virus that we must have caught on the ferry.
They gave me 40mg. of pred! 40, 40, 30, 30, 20, 20, 10. I think was the recommendation.
I forget. There was only 17pills. I tapered more quickly as I hate being puffy from the pred and I'd gotten over the asthma by day 5 I think.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
200 mg. of prednisone!?? Does it say prednisone on the bottle??

I had an asthma attack while in Alaska, triggered by a virus that we must have caught on the ferry.
They gave me 40mg. of pred! 40, 40, 30, 30, 20, 20, 10. I think was the recommendation.
I forget. There was only 17pills. I tapered more quickly as I hate being puffy from the pred and I'd gotten over the asthma by day 5 I think.
OMG i can't believe i mistyped that! 20!! not 200!! and yes Prednisone is what it says.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned

ok, whew...!
That would be the correct dosage but you will see increased thirst and urination as a result, and also you may see some food aggression where there was none before.

I hate pred. in dogs for that reason. A short burst may not do that though.
Ask about "Temeril- P" for the allergies, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page