Reaction to Rabies Vaccine - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Reaction to Rabies Vaccine

ARGH - I waited as long as possible to give our GSD her first rabies shot. She is 8 months old. She was vomiting yellow bile yesterday (3 times) which was about 32 hours after the shot. She is still eating well but a bit lethargic. Shall I let the vet know about the vomit? I am so glad I never have to give her another shot. Will titer test every three years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1422 View Post
ARGH - I waited as long as possible to give our GSD her first rabies shot. She is 8 months old. She was vomiting yellow bile yesterday (3 times) which was about 32 hours after the shot. She is still eating well but a bit lethargic. Shall I let the vet know about the vomit? I am so glad I never have to give her another shot. Will titer test every three years now.
Yes. Definitely let the vet know. My lab has reactions to the vaccine and there are meds they can give to offset it, since we don't have the option of not giving rabies vaccine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

It could also be something that was picked up at the clinic and not the actual vaccine.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

Absolutely call your vet. If this is a reaction to the vaccine, you'll want it noted so you can get an exception from further Rabies vaccines.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Called my vet - they said 32 hours after the vaccination would not cause vomitting due to her rabies shot. Any reaction would be within 15 mintues of the vaccination or if later it is a lump/soreness at the injection site.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel1422 View Post
Called my vet - they said 32 hours after the vaccination would not cause vomitting due to her rabies shot. Any reaction would be within 15 mintues of the vaccination or if later it is a lump/soreness at the injection site.
Keep a close eye on her. Honestly, I'm not surprised the vet said that, most really don't want to connect reactions to vaccines.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

I think your vet is incorrect on the time slot for reactions. I found this but you may want to do more research on your own before accepting that answer.

Rabies Vaccination Reactions in Dogs | eHow.com

Quote:
Late Reactions

• Other serious reactions may not occur for days or even several weeks after a rabies vaccination. These reactions can be physical as well as behavioral. Physical reactions include skin problems, muscle weakness, seizures, allergy developments and digestive problems. Behavioral reactions may include separation anxiety, obsessive compulsions (such as excessively licking paws), aggression, self-mutilation and eating foreign objects such as wood, dirt and rocks. Autoimmune diseases may develop, including those that affect the central nervous system, skin, eyes, liver, kidney, blood cells and bone marrow. Polyarthritis, a serious joint inflammation disorder, can also develop long after the vaccination takes place.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

Vaccine Reactions in Dogs: Your Dog's Yearly Shots May do More Than Protect Against Disease | Suite101.com

Quote:
Symptoms of Severe Vaccine Reactions in Dogs

• Weak Pulse
  • Low Blood Pressure
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Facial Swelling
  • Pale Gums
  • Cold Limbs
  • Seizures
  • Shock
  • Collapse
Much more common than severe vaccine reactions are mild reactions. Unlike severe vaccine reactions, mild reactions tend to occur at home after a few hours.
Symptoms of Mild Reactions in Dogs

• Fever
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Pain at the Injection site/Limping
  • Lethargy
  • Sleeping More
  • Swelling at Injection Site
Usually these symptoms resolve and get better within 48 hours. In some cases, pain at the injection site my last up to a week. Even though the reaction is mild, it is best to consult with a vet so the reaction is recorded on the dog's chart. So now that you know your dog is prone to vaccine reactions what happens next?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Yellow bile is probably the number one sign of hunger in a dog...she might just have an empty stomach. Give her something she really likes and see if she'll eat it happily.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Keep a close eye on her. Honestly, I'm not surprised the vet said that, most really don't want to connect reactions to vaccines.
Courtney - Thank you for your honesty. I am feeling the same way. The vet said it must be something else causing the vomitting. (I.e. $$, another vet visit).

I am confused on what to do with my vet. They were great when I said goodbye to my two feline friends and are never quick to overcharge plus I have been going to them for 15 years. BUT since getting our Shepherd from the breeder and finding this wonderful forum, my eyes have been opened a lot. Especially to over vaccinating and my vet pushing for early spay (mammary cancer) and then saying to me her rabies vaccine is good for a year only.

I am being pushed in a lot of directions by my husband, the vet and what I feel.

Anyways, point being - should I cut ties with my vet and look somewhere else?? Or stay firm to what I believe, keep using them then for titer testing go to a different clinic (my vet doesnt offer this).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page