Malignant Dermal Melanoma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Malignant Dermal Melanoma

Dear All,

Two weeks ago my Chandra, a 7-years-old German Shepherd, went through a surgery to remove a black oval lump between the two digits of her left paw. The surgery went well and we sent the champ of the nodule for further examination. Today we received the result of her histological test... NO GOOD NEWS... :-(

The diagnosis is dermal melanoma, moderately differentiated, and infiltrating... The prognosis is highly restricted... She, however, despite her test result, seems to be in excellent shape and she has never had serious problems in her entire health history.

My boyfriend brought her to live with us in May after his divorce and the black lump had been there for almost one-year-and-half (Chandra used to live with his ex-wife; it is a whole long story). I have no idea why for heaven's sake they did not bring her to the vet before the lump grew into the size of half ping-pong ball...

I find it difficult to digest, the professor claims that the surgery will perhaps involve amputation of her two digits (we schedule the X-Ray on next Monday to check her lungs and lymph nodes).

I would be very grateful if there were someone here who would kindly share his/her experience with dermal melanoma...

Thank you,

Jacqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry to hear this, cancer sucks and is far too common

I would look into modifying the diet and changing to an anti-cancer diet. There is a sticky at the top of the forum here with some info, and also some info here:
Cancer - GermanShepherdHome.net

I believe that tagamet is used for melanoma (some info here):
Skin Cancer Forum - Cimetidine (Tagamet) as a treatment for melanoma

IP6 too: IP6 - A Rising Star in the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer
As published in Journal of Surgical Research, June 2006, researchers reported that IP6 had previously been shown to have significant inhibitory effects against pancreatic cancer in vitro. They hypothesized that IP6 would significantly inhibit cell growth of cutaneous melanoma in vitro. Melanoma cell lines were cultured and treated with IP6. The findings were that IP6 significantly decreased cellular growth and increased late apoptosis in melanoma, suggesting its potential therapeutic value.

I am hoping that you will be able to manage this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page