German Shepherds Forum banner

My Girls are acting funny - need some advice

708 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  krystyne73 
#1 ·
Long time reader first time poster so sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I have two GSDs females from the same breeder. Mackenzie my oldest is 2 years 6 months and Laney my baby is 11 months.

Here's whats been going on. Saturday I took both my girls to the groomer (which Mackenzie Hates but Laney could care less). While they were there I sprayed Ortho Max Bug Killer around the outside of my house including the back part that's their area. Bugs and ticks have started to get bad here in KY and I hadn't done it this year yet. I also mopped my basement with Lysol and let it dry. After that I mopped with white vinegar to cover the dog urine smell because Laney is almost totally house broken.

About 3-4 hours after I was done I went and picked up the girls at the groomers and came back home. The bug killer had dryed and vanished, and is supposed to be pet safe, so I let them play in their yard. We just hung out at the house the rest of Saturday.

Anyway Sunday morning I awoke to dog poop all over my bedroom floor, hallway, and in my basement. The bedroom and the hallway are very unusual but the basement is not uncommon. I cleaned everything up and later that afternoon I let the girls out for about 30 minutes. It was about 90 degrees so I won't let them stay out long during the day and would rather have them in the AC. When I walked out they were both looking at something on the ground so I immediately thought it was a snake and starting to walk over and kill it.

Laney went insane when she saw me and proceeded to run the perimeter of the fence (1 acre) twice very fast. Mackenzie and I looked at her like she was crazy since she was barking the whole time. When she stopped at the back steps I started walking towards her and she backed away like she was scared and started barking at me. This went on for a few minutes until she calmed down and we all went back inside.

Later that night I left for a few hours for work and when I came home giant gooey piles of poop again in my basement. Monday I cooked boiled chicken and rice for them which they ate and gave each one a pepto pill in cheese. The rest of Monday was fine. This morning neither dog wanted to go outside to use the bathroom which was a first for me, but they did go out for about 30 minutes this afternoon. After which I fed them and went to a business dinner.

Both the girls are playing fine but for some reason they don't want to go outside which is not like them. I'm at a total loss on this one. I feed Orijen, buy frozen Marrow bones, and if I do feed them human food its steak/chicken/cheese. They also both get heartgard and frontline for ticks. I think I should take them to the vet tomorrow afternoon but is this normal? Do your GSDs ever freak out? Is this something I did and they are reacting to it? I love my girls and I have never been mean, neglected, or hit them. Other than work I spend most of my time at home with them, but this last week I haven't been home as much as I normally am. Honestly I worried and would love some feedback.

Thanks, CaptainMack

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi thanks for posting back. To answer your questions their poop has "firmed up" a little since I posted last night but its still not what it usually is. As for the weather it did go from cooler temps 75+ to 90 in a short period of time. I'd say it is a little warmer then last year but not a lot. They've been to the same groomer about a dozen times and I spoke with him today - nothing unusual there. I've got a vet appointment in the morning so I'll post back what he says. They are outside right now so I'm hoping maybe it was some sort of bug that worked itself out - like a 24 flu.
Thanks again CaptainMack

#4 ·
I do know mopping with Pinesol can cause problems with cats...maybe your dog licked the floor and ingested some cleanser?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.