Fleas - already treated for fleas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Fleas - already treated for fleas

Sage had his frontline about a week ago but still managed to get fleas

I spoke to the vet about what to do since he's already had a monthly flea treatment.

She suggested a pill, Comfortis to kill the fleas on him. Said it would be safe.

Also, suggested Mycodex to spray on furniture, the car, etc.. (not Sage)

She had left a voicemail which I just got (stupid phone) so I am unable to ask her more about these items until they open in the morning. Has anyone used these items?

Is it safe to give him a flea bath too? What is a safe flea shampoo?

Any other tips on removing fleas welcomed.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

I was going to suggest the Comfortis. It is effective within hours and has nearly complete kill in 24 hours.

Be sure you do not double up on chemical agents or over do treatment.

There are natural treatments also. Perhaps some will write about those options.

Diatomaceous earth is one thing I used in the past to treat the house in TX.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Yes, Josh is on Comfortis, it comes in a 6mo supply like Heartgard but it costs a lot. May get a prescription and send off for it next time. I know it's supposed to kill them fast. The only side effect of it that they told me was that sometimes dogs will throw up after their 1st dose. Josh didn't. We also use a natural flea shampoo, it smells really strongly of cloves that's what keeps the fleas away.

We've been having real trouble with Frontline down here in Texas, seems fleas are becoming immune to it.

Judy

Josh (GSD)- 8/10/10
Daisy (ragdoll cat) 10 yrs old
Romeo (ragdoll cat) 9 yrs old
Caspurr (ragdoll/snowshoe mix) 8 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I was going to suggest the Comfortis. It is effective within hours and has nearly complete kill in 24 hours.

Be sure you do not double up on chemical agents or over do treatment.

There are natural treatments also. Perhaps some will write about those options.

Diatomaceous earth is one thing I used in the past to treat the house in TX.
Thank you! I will have to pick up the Comfortis in the morning and I will talk to the vet then.

That is something I don't want to do (use a lot of chemicals) I was planning on switching from frontline but have 2 viles left. Just want to make sure once they are dead they are not coming back.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

if you can find some eucalyptus leaves you can put that under your furniture all over the house where animals cant get to it and that will help repel fleas. Also there is a member on here who uses sulfer you get a places like TSC in your yard and thats supposed to work. We're gonna give that a shot when we get to maryland and have the house. I cant remember the name of the shampoo i use for them but its got essential oils in it that help repel fleas as well. I'd recognize it if i saw it. Its packed up now so i cant go grab the bottle. But it works and makes the dogs smell pretty.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

okay, its not the same shampoo i use but our neighbor used it on her newfie when they had fleas and it helped a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FBotanical-Dog-Natural-Eucalyptus-Shampoo-17%2Fdp%2FB000Q0AVFS&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

another you could try.

How to Bath Your Dog in Eucalyptus Oil for Fleas | eHow.com

this may also help you some as well since you want natural remedies.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...eas-ticks.html

Has some recipes in it for essential oils sprays you can make to help repel fleas and ticks. Lavendar also helps. If you plant lavendar its supposed to help repel bugs in general.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 05-26-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page