Steroids and Odd Behavior....Linked? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Steroids and Odd Behavior....Linked?

Some of you know Zoe has been on prednisone for the last 2 weeks for severe itching. We started at 40mg's a day for 4 days, then 20 mg's for 6, and now 10mg's for 3, then 5mg's for three as a semi slow wean from them. Her first full day on them she leaped up and tore a pillow literally in 2 for no reason...she's never destroyed a pillow in her life much less right in front of me. Since then she has taken to shredding trash, flinging cat litter everywhere, eating food from the counters, eating the cats food, and eating half of my daughter's poetry project yesterday. She's been out of her chewing stage for some time though is crated when we are gone but since she's been on these meds has been busting out of the crate,lol

I know the meds up her appetite, but seriously is all this normal? I gate my kitchen where the crate is but since she can open doors she can still access the trash, my food in the pantry, and in the fridge- yes the fridge!! I even bungee corded the door off my kitchen where the trash and food are and she chewed right through it in the 5 hours I was gone to work and that is of course AFTER escaping her crate grrrrrrr.

So will this go away when the meds do, or has she developed a nasty new habit? I just got new zip ties to tie the crate secure for tomorrow hoping they will hold and have moved the kitchen trash outside for now...any other bright ideas i am missing. The vet did say some dogs have such severe side effects they have to be taken off quicker but while this is obnoxious I wouldn't quite call it severe,lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
DnP
Elite Member

I have found that a side effect of prednisone is a change in personality. I saw it with Dakota. He became less loving and just "off", not his normal self. He also was a lot less toleratant of stuff that never seemed to bother him before the pred. However, once we were backing down off the high doses, I noticed he became more of his old self and then back to his old self about a week after we stopped the pred.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thats promising,lol She is still as loving if not even more obnoxiously at my tail end all day just being naughty and trying to eat everything she knows she shouldn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

Prednisone Side Effects

Dogs that get prednisone as a short term treatment (i.e. 1 to 4 weeks) may not experience any side effects. However, if the treatment is lengthy, prednisone may cause a number of side effects, including:
  • Immunity suppression, which makes the dog more susceptible to infections; the immune system cannot protect the dog, so his health must be carefully monitored and secondary diseases must be treated as soon as they occur
  • Increased appetite, that leads to weight gain
  • Increased thirst and more frequent urination
  • Water retention, caused by the sodium in the salt, in case the dog has a diet rich in salts
  • Fluid in the stomach
  • Myocardial arrest
  • Oily skin, which may be due to hormonal imbalance
  • Coarse hair, unhealthy looking coat
  • Sudden aggressiveness
  • Irritability
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Nausea
  • Kidney problems
  • Ulcers, stomach problems
  • Colitis
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Hypertension

Read more: Prednisone Side Effects in Dogs

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Felony, the pit-bull, has been on pred since last August. She has a droopy belly and the fur that was shaven for biopsys and I.V. has not grown back. She is also losing her nose and ear fur because thats where we pet her most. She's like the velveteen pit-bull.
Her appetite is huge and she is a bit grumpier than she used to be, but most people wouldn't even notice that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Great so my dog is just turning into a naughty brat,lol Guess it's time to go back to treating her like a baby and following her around like it's my job
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Steroids do ugly things to people, so it stands to reason with me that the same might happen with dogs. Sorry you're going through it but the good news is, once the pred is stopped, so should the behaviors!

Dee
Caretaker of Ezra the Wonder Dog &
Maxx, Pooch Extraordinnaire
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Well she must have known I was talking about her because she's been an angel for the last 16 hours,lol.....at least I think I really do hope this is pred related and not that she's turning into a brat. She's getting into anything food related regardless of whether or not she's aloud....whining at my daughters pancakes and sausage now,lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

She just chewed my favorite pair of new underwears.....I'm going to strangle her today wth? My daughter was having breakfast in bed with me and I told her it was time to get dressed.....Zoe was an angel last night but decided to slink out of bed and chew my girlie wears. I hear mom your going to be mad as she comes in with the evidence and Zoe puts her ears back and crawls to me like "don't be mad mommy". Grrr I can't wait to be done with these meds!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page