left ear and left leg - not sure what is wrong - Long! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

left ear and left leg - not sure what is wrong - Long!

I'm not sure what's going on with Ava, but curious to hear your thoughts and thought maybe some of you have experience this with your GSD.

Ear - Monday while we were out on our afternoon walk I noticed it was time to clean her ears, so I wiped them out and while I was doing the left ear she would not sit still and finally jumped off the couch. Which was a little unlike her, she has been getting her ears cleaned since she was a baby and is always good and patient while I do this. Now, granted it's not her favorite thing but she tolerates it. So, when she jumped down, I thought that was a little odd but didn't think much of it. There wasn't too much build-up so again I didn't think anything about it. Well, Tuesday morning she wakes me up EARLY whining, she wouldn't settle down and finally she got in the bed with me and I rubbed her belly until she fell asleep. While I was getting ready for work, she just kept crying, she has NEVER done this before. When I get home from work that evening she is doing the same thing just walking around crying ... I had no idea what is going on with her. This is completely out of the norm for her. So, I put her on my bed and checked her out, to make sure she didn't have a bite or something that was hurting her. I didn't find anything and I checked her ears and they seemed fine. Well, last night while I was cooking dinner I glanced over at her and her ear is BRIGHT RED and puffy! More towards the base of the ear and also there is black build up in her ear. Does, anyone know what this is? ear infection? She has never had an ear infection before as I keep her ears clean.

Leg - she took off running and when she finally stopped she help her back left leg up and hopped around on it for a minute? She has done this every once in a while ... comes and goes. Anyone know what this could be?

Thankfully, I'm taking her to the Vet tomorrow morning for her yearly exam/vaccinations so I will definitely have him check it out. But, right now I'm just a concerned Mama!

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Ear cleaning will help prevent an ear infection, but it's no guarantee. It sounds like that's what she's got.

The back leg thing could be anything.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDgirlAL View Post
.....Leg - she took off running and when she finally stopped she help her back left leg up and hopped around on it for a minute? She has done this every once in a while ... comes and goes. Anyone know what this could be?

Thankfully, I'm taking her to the Vet tomorrow morning for her yearly exam/vaccinations so I will definitely have him check it out. But, right now I'm just a concerned Mama!
Glad you are going to the vet.

The leg could be a knee, could be a back issue (a K9 chiro can help with that), it could be a tick disease, etc.

Yearly vaccinations? Those aren't needed anymore - lots of recent threads on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It was indeed an ear infection. She's on some ointment for 14 days that I have to put on it, she is not thrilled about that.

He messed with her leg and said that everything felt fine but if it happens again he wants to do some xrays.

She doesn't get the vaccinations yearly, the rabies along with the DHPP is every 3 years.

Thank you for your replies!

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page