Elbow shattered kind of Cujo LONG - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Elbow shattered kind of Cujo LONG

A couple of weeks ago, my parents' dog, Cujo had a couple of nasty siezures. My dad told me last night that during one of them he fell down the basement steps landing on the concrete, knocking over the ironing board, etc.

He started limping right after having the siezures, at first barely perceptable, but steadily getting worse.

They took him to the vet right after the siezures (of course this happened between Saturday night and all day Sunday). And they did blood work and changed his meds. The said that the weed killer that my dad sprayed around the day before and the missed dose of phenobarbitol the night before the siezures could not have been the problem.

Well a couple of years ago when he had his first set of siezures, he developed a hitch in his back leg. He would walk along and the leg did not go the same all the time. It went away with a little time on its own.

Well this time, his limping got worse and worse until he was seriously favoring his one leg. I took him in today for pictures.

Well, some of the boney area in the elbow disengaged and is now digging into his elbow. We are giving him pain/anti-inflamatory meds while they send his x-rays to the place where he will have his surgery.

Here are my questions:
1. Comments about weed killers welcome. The dog is not outside much, 10 minutes at a time, and my dad shortened the chain for 24 hours so he could not get to the place the weed killer was. Hours after he let the chain back to its normal length, Cujo was lying close to me when he started his first siezure.

2. With the epilepsy, is putting him under for surgery a serious risk?

3. Has anyone had to have them clean out an elbow before, and did the dog recover nicely and did he do well afterwards? Did it cause more problems down the line. How much did the surgery cost?

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions just wanted to say I hope and pray Cujo will be okay. I would guess weed killer could trigger a seizure, but I always "thought" that once it dries it's safe (or maybe it's just safe for normal animals without a history of seizures).

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM

1. I don't use any types of chemicals on my lawns so can't answer.
2. I would think any surgery would be a risk, but never having had epilepsy in a dog can't answer that either.
3. I have had two dogs have their knees bascially scraped out, bone chips, etc, both recovered just fine.

Hope everything goes well for cujo

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page