Out of the blue Yelps - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Out of the blue Yelps

I am concerned about Bear. The last couple of days he'll yelp, for no reason at all. I played with him, patting everywhere, shaking his legs, and tail, to see if it triggered it, but he didn't yelp at all. I thought maybe his toenails were getting caught in the carpet, they do need to be clipped, but, later, he was just laying in front of the fridge and yelped. I noticed he did have tapeworms again, and started treating them, again.
Can they cause pain? His yelps started before we started the treatment, so I don't think it's a reaction to that. Today, he was laying in front of the couch and yelped, then started scratching his belly with his hind leg, about like he's strumming a guitar when we rub his belly.
Wife had wondered if maybe he swallowed some gravel from the drive, he's bound and determined to carry one stone for his walk, even after we get him to drop it, he'll find another one down the road. In every other aspect he is fine, he's still playing, eating, running, no signs of pain, but out of the blue, there's a yelp again. I am taking him to the vets on Friday, but not sure what they can do if he looks and acts perfectly fine while he's there. So, I thought it was best to post, and ask you, the experts!

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!
Free food and care to rescues just takes one click a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Out of the blue Yelps

Good for you for wanting to take your sweet fellow in to the vet to get him checked out! Perhaps ask the vet to check his eyes very thoroughly. Bear may have been startled, not in pain. Sending good thoughts for a good vet report, or at least answers and a gameplan you and Bear can do well with!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for your good thoughts! If he was just laying down, inside the house, no movement, no noise but the tv, there should have been nothing to startle him. He would bark if startled. Great ears, can hear the neighbors way up the road, shut their car door to leave.

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

"Today, he was laying in front of the couch and yelped, then started scratching his belly with his hind leg, about like he's strumming a guitar when we rub his belly."

Fleas?

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

He does have some fleas, vets says thats where the tapeworms come from. We are treating him for this, but a loosing battle with a cat that's inside / outside. I really didn't see any where he was scratching. Would that be enough for a yelp?

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Never dealt with fleas...but I would say so.
If you let your cat outside...I would keep her on flea/tick meds and also HW meds...as if a cat gets HW...there is no cure...

Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Baby - Crazy cat
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

...and your dog should be on preventatives as well.

That will do the trick

Ava - Princess GSD
Baby - Crazy cat
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like fleas to me.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

The safest anti flea med for cats is Revolution, it will prevent HW as well & is also effective against some internal parasites ('worms').
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page