Looking at lumbosacral stenosis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Looking at lumbosacral stenosis

So Jasper went today for his yearly exam and the issue of his limping in his left rear leg.

About 10 xrays were taken today, so far his hips/ACL look fine, however there is a spot of concern which my doctor wants to have checked out. It's in the spine area, this is what she thinks is a possibility.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vet...e/detail/169902

My doctor is going to send out the xrays to a ortho and a neurologist for all the xrays taken.

She was suprised from his signs/symptoms, and how the hips turned out. I had asked her prior to the xrays to take them of the spine as well, due to my concern about the DM (mentioned in my other thread).

I should get an answer hopefully tomorrow.

This was Jaspers first time at my vets, since I just started working there.

LOL, they were so impressed at how friendly he is, they called him a Love bug

His weight was 90lbs, his muscle mass in his left rear is not as great as the right side.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share.

Note: she did have 2 other docs look at the xrays, they weren't totally on board with what she was seeing

Symptoms,

middle toe nails down
slow to sit
limping on left side

holding up left rear leg time to time (but not like an ACL injury)-doesn't hold up that high

bunny hop

slipped on stairs last week
slow to get up, lame on left side upon getting up.

I am giving him Tramadol for now, I won't put on NSAIDS. His Adequan I am sure is helping somewhat, he got that injection today.

He is so out of it, I had to carry him in from my truck, and Loki won't leave his side

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Looking at lumbosacral stenosis

I feel for you. Oxana has this but she's 11. Tramadol for now is working.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Angela, how long has Oxana had this? Has she had any surgeries, and other meds for this?

Thanks, and I am sorry.

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Knighted Member

Hi jack-I would just add a word of caution /advice that pain relief meds can confuse an accurate diagnosis of what is going on.I am not saying your dog should be in pain but do not treat because YOU think he is in pain.Symptoms of pain in dog are panting -restlessness-not eating.Pain medication CAN cause an animal or human to overexert (most common in race-horsing).I have experience with my last rescue (racing greyhound)with bad spinal stenosis(hip disease almost unknown in breed)-he died at 15 yo with spinal stenosis but that was not what killed him in was over-medication to make me feel better.I spent at least 2 years walking him and picking him up when hind end gave way-it did not bother him it bothered me.No dog should be in pain but dogs do not seem to obsess and maybe deal with it better.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

She was diagnosed last year so I didn't want to do surgery for her. I alternate between nsaids and pain pills.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you ttalldog,

I was going to actually hold off on the pain meds anyways. He just got the Adequan, and since I have seen his pain level much worse, I wanted to see what the outcome was. I am going to rest him the rest of the night as well

I agree with what you mention, I just don't want to push him until I know whats going on, and if I pushed him, he would be in some pain I don't want him to be in.

Thanks for mentioning this.

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Angela,

I know my crew doesn't do well on NSAIDS, so its just adequan, tramadol and his supplements.

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Knighted Member

I really hesitated to relpy the way I did cause our dogs will sometimes bluff through/cover their pain to do what they think we want from them.People don't do that.I know you will do the best you can -every dog teaches us a lesson maybe that's why we love them so much.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ttalldogI really hesitated to relpy the way I did cause our dogs will sometimes bluff through/cover their pain to do what they think we want from them.People don't do that.I know you will do the best you can -every dog teaches us a lesson maybe that's why we love them so much.
Totally,

For me, I can just see it in Jaspers eyes...I would rather rest and keep the pain away if possible, then drug him. This is why I brag so much about Adequan (much better then other stuff).

I also know with his elbows, I have to go easier on him, not to mention I try to be as hollistic as possible.

I appreciate you straight forward approach, always have

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

My GSD mix Bonnie had LS stenosis (cauda equina syndrome). She was diagnosed in 1999 when she was 11 years old. Bonnie couldn't tolerate NSAIDS so we started with neutraceuticals, rehabilitation and short courses of steroids for when she flared.

Bonnie went to rehab basically for 7 years, walking on an underwater treadmill twice weekly, with hot packs, ice and NMES when she was stiff. As pain management techniques developed so we changed what medications we gave (Gabapentin and Amantadine), with admission to hospital for IV pain meds during her "bad" times.

When Bonnie was 16 years old we got her a wheelchair so she could still go on walks. She used it every day until a couple of days before she passed away aged 19.

Yes, LS disease is horrible, but it is manageable.

Wishing you the best

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page