DSMO (for canine arthritis) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

DSMO (for canine arthritis)

http://www.dogdiseases.net/dogarthritistreatment/

verdict?

this was recommended to me today (for Gia's hip dysplasia) by a gentlemen who uses this on himself (carpal tunnel, bad back & knees) and swears by it... its also commonly used for horses. the above article states to acquire it through prescription only - locally its available at several health food stores and equine/feed stores. i'd be interested to hear any thoughts.

scary/technical stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Crowned Member

Re: DSMO (for canine arthritis)

It can relieve pain. But it's a solvent, and can be irritating to the skin, particularly used on a regular basis. I have used it on my knee. I don't know how you would use it on a dog, with their fur??? I would try it on yourself on a regular basis before trying it on another being. Use with caution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

would you personally risk it on your dog Lisa? i suppose i could shave a small area on her thigh or tummy for application. trying it on myself is fine... however i'm not sure i'd be able to gauge its effectiveness since i dont suffer from any muscle or joint pain. (or did you mean to test for a skin reaction?)

she's currently on springtime longevity, additional gluc/chondr/msm, ester-c, and i pop her an aspirin as needed. we went to the beach for about an hour today... no excessive running, jumping or hiking. a little fetch, some swim time and one stair climb at the end. i got home this evening (after she'd been resting) and it took her several seconds to get up from bed. i gave her a squirt of metacam a couple hours ago, and just before posting this thread i had to help her up the stairs

her hips are bad, really bad...

*i cropped and highlighted her cauliflower of a femoral head the femur appears short because we could not manipulate her legs any straighter than that... these were her last (3rd) set of x rays, so we pretty much already know what to expect, hence me opting out of sedation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Crowned Member

Bad joints and hips suck, and it's heartbreaking.

I was thinking on yourself for the skin reaction, so you know how it feels on an ongoing basis. I honestly don't remember how effective it was. I know it helped, but I also know I stopped using it because something about it was irritating or uncomfortable. It was quite awhile ago.

Have you tried Cetyl-M? Any bodywork (acupunture or chiro?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Have you tried Cetyl-M? Any bodywork (acupunture or chiro?).
we've done hydro therapy, and we saw a chiropractor a couple of years ago when she was having this undiagnosable-sporadic-lameness-spasm-almost seizure like-non neuro-issue. after seeing no obvious improvement, we discontinued the sessions. the vet ruled out neuro, as i mentioned... dm... and myasthenia gravis... and equated it to an odd symptom of the HD. she's since adjusted her gait and the way she plays, sits or lies down... i havent seen an "episode" in well over a year. she used to have them anywhere from 2 a day to 2 a month.

anyway, off topic...

i have not yet tried acupuncture or cetyl-m... i didnt want to run out of options too soon since she was still so mobile and active. but it looks like its time to step up her treatment. there is an awesome acupuncturist that my neighbor sends her IG's to... i will shoot her and e mail now and see what she thinks.

this dsmo isnt expensive, so i think i'll go ahead and grab a small bottle tomorrow and see how it feels (one link mentions you being able to taste it once applied weird!)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Crowned Member

Let us know what you try and how it works out!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Master Member

if you get it, get the roll on, its easier to apply. i have used it successfully on horses as a solvent to draw other meds into the body
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 AM

Years ago, we had an injured dog and the Vet prescribed DMSO as part of treatment. She told us to be careful not to get it on our skin and warned about the taste. Of course, it's near impossible to not get it on yourself (the roll-on would have been great - but not available then). I remember it just creeped me out that I could touch something with my hand and it seemed almost immediately the garlic/onion taste was in my mouth. Yecchhh....

Martie
Luther GSD 3/18/08
Otto Mix Spring 07
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Knighted Member

<span style="color: #000099">You may want to ask your vets about drug interactions (if the dog is on a pain killer etc)

You can get a 70% DMSO that has aloe...I would (and do) use that on myself. It doesn't irritate.</span>

Zephyr vom Eichenluft
Storm and Jazz waiting at The Bridge.

Independent Beach Body Coach

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Do you want to get healthier?
Do you want to make money from home?
I can help you for FREE.
Contact me.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Master Member

Here is some information from the Material Safety Data Sheet for DMSO -

http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/07770.htm
Potential Health Effects
Eye: May cause mild eye irritation. Two drops of &gt;50% DMSO in the rabbit eye caused a temporary burning sensation and vasodilatation, but concentrations of &lt;50% exhibited no effect. DMSO produced slight erythema of the conjunctiva over the first 3 days of the study, and a low level of key scoring was also recorded for chemosis, iritis and corneal opacity. The degree of eye injury described by these key scores would not result in DMSO being labelled as an eye irritant according to EEC classification. (ECB - Elf Aquitaine)
Skin: DMSO readily penetrates skin and may significantly enhance the absorption of numerous chemicals. Increased absorption of these other chemicals could lead to their increased toxicity. Skin sensitization was not observed with DMSO in human volunteers or in guinea pigs. Non-immunological whealing and flaring have been observed in animals and humans following short-term contact. Skin absorption of DMSO may result in a garlic-like breath and body odor, and CNS effects such as headache, nausea and dizziness. Undiluted DMSO applied topically to mice twice a week for 30 weeks failed to produce dermal injury. (EBC - Elf Aquitaine) Skin sensitization has not been reported in hundreds of human volunteers participating in a DMSO clinical trial. DMSO's ability to increase the absorption of other chemicals is its most significant occupational hazard.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause central nervous system effects. May cause garlic smell on the breath and body.
Inhalation: Material has a very low vapor pressure at room temperature, so inhalation exposures are not expected unless material is heated or misted.
Chronic: Long-term skin application of 80-90% DMSO has produced CNS effects (such as fatigue, nausea, vomiting, sedation, dizziness and headache), and dermatitis (such as redness, dryness and scaling) in volunteers. A garlic-like breath odor has been noted.

If you are going to try this on your dog, consider the possible ingestion effects, since if the dog can reach the area of application she may lick it. I would use it very sparingly if it were me. (And I use the solvent occasionally in my job, but wear gloves to avoid skin contact.)

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page