Kong hazards? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Kong hazards?

Hi there,

Feel free to move this post if need be. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I have read a number of posts and even found some recipes for stuffing and freezing a Kong. I really like this idea, however I'm having some problems with it. Please have a look at this story before responding:

http://thechaistory.blogspot.com/200...hai-story.html

Granted a Kong is not the same toy but it does have a hole in it that a tongue could get caught in and swell and you can see what can happen. If one stuffs a Kong and plugs the small end hole (which many recipes I've see call for doing) you are then creating the potential for a vaccuum effect just like the Pimple Ball story. Even if you don't plug the small end hole, as the dog tries to get the treat out of the Kong it's getting it's tongue into the Kong's hole and could potentially swell.

My husband and I are afraid to do use the Kong toy, especially stuffed with really yummy stuff and frozen. I tried it when I was home one day and the dogs loved it but hubby had a fit when he learned about it and reminded me of the Pimple Ball story which I'd managed to forget. Kongs have been banned from use at this point. I'm home alone a LOT - if they were to get their tongue stuck in a Kong I would have no clue how to take care of this emergency.

Next question - I know if I have a popsicle or eat ice cream to fast my mouth will hurt like it's burning. Some people get ice cream headaches under the same circumstances. I would tend to think dogs could have the same reaction(s). Yes, no?

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Kong hazards?

I've never experienced a prob with stuffing a kong, the only prob I've seen is when it takes an odd bounce while some of our more drivey dogs twist about to get at it causing injury. as for brain freeze, dogs ain't that stupid to repeat things that hurt

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Crowned Member

If dogs want to hurt themselves, they can be very creative. At the end of he day there is no dog-proof toy, crate, house, anything, and a stuck tongue (stitches included) is the lessen of my worries. I had a dog you could leave with any toy and she would be fine, they would last months and she never swallowed pieces, with Diabla I use the same toys we used with the polar bears when I worked at he zoo, and only under supervision. You have to know your dog.

Dogs will keep inventing new ways to hurt themselves every day with every new thing in the world. Sticks hurt hundreds of dog mouths every day and yet wolves manage to survive in the woods, if cases like Chai were 10 every year I would start to be concerned, if not, is a sad accident. Diabla ripped her lower lip playing with a rope toy, lots of blood and until today the lip hangs in an odd way, but it isn't the toy fault, it just happens.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I have heard the "suction" noise when Renji was working with his stuffed kong and knew his tongue was creating suction. We never give him a completely stuffed Kong unsupervised, though, and the suction is very brief, he never reacts to it. Plus, the hole on the kong is a LOT larger than the hole on the pimple ball. Because of that, I think it would be very difficult for a tongue to get stuck in there. I'd be more worried about an overzealous chewer demolishing the kong and ingesting pieces, resulting in a clogged bowel.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So far Kongs are one of the toys they don't destroy. Riley has a cute thing he does with a stuffed Kong and one other toy that makes music when it hits the floor and that is he runs around dropping them on the floor. This brakes up the stuffing in the Kong and lets it drop out and the other makes the music as he travels the house dropping/chasing it.

One of the stuffings I have tried is to mash up canned carrots, add some boxed potato flakes to make balls and put a few in and freeze.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page