GSD SD questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

GSD SD questions

Hello everyone.

I was looking to get some information on using a GSD as a service dog. For some background, I am a veteran with some mental and physical impairments. None are super debilitating, but there are some tasks that I have troubles with. Many people have thrown out the idea of me getting a service dog, so I wanted to get some information about it. I know there are non profits out there that help veterans and others receive/train SDs, but I haven't noticed any that train GSDs or let you choose your dog. I know that there are other breeds better suited for SD work, but my heart is fairly set on a GSD. I grew up with an Akita and Shepherd mix, so I definitely biased towards larger dogs. I was wondering if anyone had information or experience using a GSD as a SD, as well as some known breeders/trainers that they would recommend? (I live in UT for reference) I'd like the dogs main tasks to be deep pressure therapy as well as medication retrieval. I know public access is a big thing to watch out for especially with GSDs as they tend to mirror their handler's emotional state, but I would be primarily be with the dog at home. I am fortunate that my conditions are not as debilitating as others, but I feel that having and SD would still greatly improve my quality of life. Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Master Member

Gsd and psychiatric issues, especially ptsd and anxiety are a horrible mix. This is why you do not see many gsd’s as successful psych service dogs. My Sd is a gsd but he is a medical alert/mobility dog. I would never reccomend a gsd for psych work. A golden or a lab is much better suited for the job. I understand the want for a gsd but the service for you disability is more important than the breed.

German Shepherd feed of their handlers emotions a lot and this is why it is not reccomended.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM

I agree with KonatheGSD. As you mentioned, other breeds are better suited. I bet if you found yourself accepted into a service dog program you'd fall in love with the match they'd give you.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page