Getting a service dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By konathegsd
  • 1 Post By JamesAndFido

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Getting a service dog

Hello everybody!
I am currently in a progress of getting a service dog.
I have already found an organization that is training (specifically ptsd) service dogs. Due to the already horrendous costs that come with this needed decision, I have decided for the training option of letting him grow up at my home and having the trainer come weekly helping me train him. Despite the advantage of only having to pay 1/3 I was also thinking that it might be a good idea as I have a currently 4 month old puppy, resulting in providing both of them with a good playmate from the beginning.
Has anyone of you used a similar way of training your service dog and has anyone advice on whether it is actually a good idea to raise them together?
Thank you for your input in advance

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Master Member

I am currently training Vasko (14 weeks) myself.

Honestly I do not think this method would work out to well unless you really knew what you were doing. Who is the breeder? Who is picking the dog for you?
With a service dog everything has to be very specific and structured. I minimally let Vasko ever play with my other dogs. He is very often tethered to me or crates. Raising a service dog is nothing like raising a normal puppy.

You are getting a puppy to train as a service dog for you....not so he can have a playmate with your other puppy. The last thing you want is to have the pup become too attached to your other dogs.
lhczth, ILGHAUS, wolfy dog and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
I am currently training Vasko (14 weeks) myself.

Honestly I do not think this method would work out to well unless you really knew what you were doing. Who is the breeder? Who is picking the dog for you?
With a service dog everything has to be very specific and structured. I minimally let Vasko ever play with my other dogs. He is very often tethered to me or crates. Raising a service dog is nothing like raising a normal puppy.

You are getting a puppy to train as a service dog for you....not so he can have a playmate with your other puppy. The last thing you want is to have the pup become too attached to your other dogs.
This post is quite old by now but I just wanted to clear up a few points as I feel like I worded some things badly. I met up with the breeder twice so far. He frequently has dogs go into therapy work and had a few go into service dog work and rescue work. I have a trainer that mostly trains guide dogs but also other service dogs (they just aren't that asked for here). The playmate part was more of a second thought. I dont want them to be a playmate to each other and the trainer and I are going over how much contact he will have to my current dog and other family members. The trainer will also be the one driving to the breeder testing the puppys and taking in the input the breeder has as by now he has a good amount of knowledge about what puppys fit where. I am waiting for a litter that is expected to arrive around easter and the trainer and I feel like the current dog and I are at a point where it isn't a problem to indtroduce another dog. I feel like my first post sounded like I was taking this as a light task so I wanted to clear that up. We will have three training appointments per week over the first few months and then two per week until the training is "finished".
CactusWren likes this.

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 PM

No knowledge to share, but good luck on your journey. My dog trains at a school which specializes in helping people train their own dogs to be service dogs. Apparently it is more economical. It would also seem to help create a better bond between dog and owner, and certainly create a more dog-knowledgeable owner, but I don't have any information about how it actually works out. For us, Jupiter is just a pet, but I felt the place had a good vibe for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page