Delta Airlines - More Stringent Requirements - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Delta stated it would require proof of training for ESAs if I am not mistaken but the definition of an ESA is that it is not trained. So, I am not sure what that means.

Even going to a dog trainer doesn't necessarily help because I can say with firsthand knowledge that plenty of dog trainers don't know what laws apply, where to find them, or the legal difference between a SD, an ESA or a therapy dog.
This is basically what many people are writing in various groups and blogs, but it is not what was part of Delta's new policy.

The 3rd of 3 forms must be signed and submitted by the owner/handler of Emotional Support Animals and Psychiatric Service Animals.

They are not asking that the Emotional Support Animals be trained tasks or work. Tasks or work are not even on this form for Psychiatric Service Animals. Delta is saying that these animals must be trained (worked) to be safe to take into the public. This would be not to make excessive noise, no jumping at or on people and other good manner work. The owner signs off on the form which states that they know how the animal must behave and if the animal does not remain under the control of the owner then it can be denied access to the plane or be removed after boarding.

Delta has made a short list of examples of what will not be allowed.

Inappropriate Service or Support Animal Behavior
We know that service and support animals are highly-trained working animals. We will only refuse transportation of the animal if it engages in disruptive behavior such as:
  • Growling
  • Jumping on passengers
  • Relieving themselves in the gate area or cabin
  • Barking excessively, not in response to a handlerís need or distress
  • Eating off seatback tray tables

3rd required form is Confirmation of Animal Training

I confirm that this animal has been trained to behave in a public setting and
takes my direction upon command
(Mark check box to confirm.)

I understand that if my service animal acts inappropriately, that it will be
considered not acceptable for air travel and will be denied boarding or will be
removed from the aircraft.
(Mark check box to confirm.)

Links to actual paperwork that must be downloaded, completed and returned to Delta are given in previous posts.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

Seems very simple, to me. Check two boxes, dog behaves like a service dog should, and you are good to go. Or am I missing something.

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Seems very simple, to me. Check two boxes, dog behaves like a service dog should, and you are good to go. Or am I missing something.
I was completely on board with the policy because I have seen so many ESAs that are badly behaved, disruptive, just not suited for public access (and that I frankly think are fakes, "certified" with a letter purchased on the internet). But @ILGHAUS brought up a really good point that I hadn't considered: The 48 hour advance notice needed for Delta's paperwork for a service dog (not an ESA, but an actual service dog) could well be a problem. I've flown for funerals where I didn't have 48 hours lead time. I think I had maybe 20 hours. That had never occurred to me, but she's right, that could be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

It's easy to think it's simple, no prob, if you don't depend on a service dog and access with that dog like everyone else to be able to live your life.

Easy to think it's simple, no prob, if you don't have to divulge private information to total strangers just to board an airplane.

Yes, this is all because of fakers and ill behaved dogs. But instead of addressing those people somehow, more burden is placed on the rest of us.

And frankly, it's probably not going to work until the bigger issues are addressed, which in my view is overwhelming ignorance about the dogs, training, law, etc, by doctors, nurse practitioners, mental health providers, AND the general public.

What about requiring people with dogs to check in an hour early? I already have to deprive my dog of food, water and bathroom from security check until baggage claim and now I have to arrive an hour ahead of even that.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Knighted Member

It's a complicated issue. I completely understand why Delta is doing what it is. Frankly, I think it's a pretty sneaky/brilliant legal and PR maneuver: It simultaneously makes them look like they truly care about passenger safety AND passes the liability off the airline onto the dog handler. They look good to the public, they don't really bear either the logistical or financial burden.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Crowned Member

It's not going to look so brilliant if they are in fact bending or breaking the law.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Knighted Member

True. But if they're not, it was pretty slick. Caveat: I don't mean to say I think that's necessarily GOOD - for one thing, it could really limit what can be recovered by a dog bite victim on a plane, and said victim would deserve to be made whole. And it does make things harder for legitimate service dog/handler teams. So it's definitely debatable whether it's good or not.

But if it's legal, it's brilliant.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

Our local news did a story on a blind guy who has lost the use of his service dog. His dog was attacked twice with the second attack being too much for the dog to recover from. Both attacks were perpetrated by fake service dogs, the last "event" took place on a city bus. Some Businesses are cracking down on fakes as best they can, however the two allowable questions do little to curb the problem. Businesses can give the dog the boot for poor behavoir, however few are willing to intervene unless that behavoir is extreme and at this point the public is at risk. The current system is far too easily abused, something needs to change.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Until there is an official licencing association, the airlines, restaurants, shops etc can't do anything.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Our local news did a story on a blind guy who has lost the use of his service dog. His dog was attacked twice with the second attack being too much for the dog to recover from. Both attacks were perpetrated by fake service dogs, the last "event" took place on a city bus. Some Businesses are cracking down on fakes as best they can, however the two allowable questions do little to curb the problem. Businesses can give the dog the boot for poor behavoir, however few are willing to intervene unless that behavoir is extreme and at this point the public is at risk. The current system is far too easily abused, something needs to change.
Service Dogs being attacked happen often and the results are not uncommon where the SD must be retired.

As far as businesses go, too few are willing to stand up for their rights. I am an advocate for SD teams, but also try to let business owners and management know they have rights to protect their stores (or services) and customers.
lhczth and mnm like this.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page