What's The Difference Between a Service Dog, Therapy Dog and an Emotional Support Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

What's The Difference Between a Service Dog, Therapy Dog and an Emotional Support Dog

The link below goes to one of the best videos that I have seen on the topic. Just this point -- a SD does not have any type of rights over those normal rights given to canines in a specific location, such as proper care of a dog. When speaking of "Public Access Rights" (Civil Rights) you need to remember that the rights belong to the disabled person to take their SD into this location with them.
-- Example: A SD is not allowed into a no-pets-store by itself or with a friend or family member of the handler. The SD receives its legal standing by virtue of working for a person with a disability for whom the dog was individually trained.
Bottom line is the PA rights belong to the disabled handler and not to the dog.

I bring this point up as it is a major thing to remember when reading any law dealing with a SD. It is also a huge point in the law if someone ever finds that they are involved in a legal dispute.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Master Member

Except a trainer or someone training the SD is allowed to do PA with a service dog in training.
JessicaR likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
Except a trainer or someone training the SD is allowed to do PA with a service dog in training.
Depends on the state. Some states grant SDiT the same public access rights as trained SDs other states do not.
Thecowboysgirl and Zimom like this.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 12-30-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Master Member

I thought this video would talk about the people the dog helps rather than just laws. Could someone explain that? I understand like a blind person or a person in a wheelchair would have a service dog obviously, but what about the other 2

I've seen dogs that are trained to help people with specific conditions and helps calm them. One example was a girl who would start hitting herself and the dog would force itself between her body and arm. The other example was a soldier who has PTSD related anger and when he starts to get very angry, the dog will get up on his lap and lick his arms and face to calm him

What kind of service dog would those people have? (I use "service dog" as more of the general description of the dog regardless if they're actually a service dog or just emotional/ therapy dog)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I thought this video would talk about the people the dog helps rather than just laws. Could someone explain that? I understand like a blind person or a person in a wheelchair would have a service dog obviously, but what about the other 2

I've seen dogs that are trained to help people with specific conditions and helps calm them. One example was a girl who would start hitting herself and the dog would force itself between her body and arm. The other example was a soldier who has PTSD related anger and when he starts to get very angry, the dog will get up on his lap and lick his arms and face to calm him

What kind of service dog would those people have? (I use "service dog" as more of the general description of the dog regardless if they're actually a service dog or just emotional/ therapy dog)
In both scenarios you mention, those would most likely be service dogs... not all have an all encompassing descriptive name such as guide dog, mobility dog, seizure alert dog (although one could say they’d fall under medical alert dogs).

An emotional support dog is a dog with no task specific training and it’s mere presence helps their owner who may have depression, anxiety, etc, but not to a debilitating degree.

A therapy dog is one who’s presence provides comfort to others, not their handler.
ksotto333 and Nurse Bishop like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 12-30-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:39 PM

To compliment my above post.
Attached Images

ksotto333 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
In both scenarios you mention, those would most likely be service dogs... not all have an all encompassing descriptive name such as guide dog, mobility dog, seizure alert dog (although one could say they’d fall under medical alert dogs).

An an emotional support dog is a dog with no task specific training and it’s mere presence helps their owner who may have depression, anxiety, etc, but not to a debilitating degree.

A therapy is one who’s presence provides comfort to others, not their handler.
Thanks. That was a lot more help than the video was

Infographic is great
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Quote:
Depends on the state. Some states grant SDiT the same public access rights as trained SDs other states do not.
The one good thing about me living in California lol
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post

those sound like psychiatric service dogs

My partner will be training a medical alert and mobility dog next year.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
those sound like psychiatric service dogs

My partner will be training a medical alert and mobility dog next year.
Cool. The most I'll do is CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page