Need Advice ASAP finding an SD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need Advice ASAP finding an SD

Ok, so I've been looking for a GSD I can train to be my service dog and this will be my first time going through the process. I've been visiting various breeders, looking through ads on Hoobly etc, and suddenly this morning one of the breeders who didn't have any puppies to offer a few days ago calls me and says she has a pitch black GSD who is 2 and has a wonderful personality for 2000 dollars. The Dog is female and was used to produce litters. I think she only went through a couple pregnancies if that. The breeder is very reputable and seemed very nice and caring.

My concern is that I have a female 4lb chihuahua (she has been around GSD's before and did fine with them). As long as they weren't competing for food she didn't nip or anything. Is it risky to bring in an adult female GSD with such a small female chi? Should I bring a GSD puppy with her instead so they grow up together?

Also is 2K a fair price? She's not from champion lines or anything but seems like a solid dog.

Should I raise a puppy instead in terms of training a service dog? The dog will be alerting me to blood sugar lows and anxiety attacks.

Thanks so much! I'm meeting her tomorrow to see the dog and wanted to get some advice from people who are a bit more knowledgable. This will be my first GS purebred dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Master Member

A 2-year old has already been used for breeding? And you think "only a couple pregnancies", and she's 2! How old was the dog when first bred? A reputable breeder will not breed a dog so young multiple times and without any titles or health clearances.
Since you want a service dog, not just a pet, you need to look for a breeder who breeds working dogs, that means dogs with titles and health clearances. For $2000 you should absolutely be getting a puppy/dog from titled parents. Keep looking.
RoseW, CometDog and Joys like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares

Last edited by asja; 10-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, run! There seems to be service dog breeders coming out of the woodwork everywhere.
CometDog and Joys like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your advice Asja and wolfy dog! I was about to leave to purchase a puppy from another local breeder (after researching them a great deal) and right when I was about to leave to meet and possibly purchase dog, she let me know it was her pick of the litter and she had grown very fond of him (he was the last one because she had considered keeping him). In order to purchase him i had to come back (an hour and a half away!) and have her train him and board at her place, and I had to keep her up to date on his progress and health. I passed because he didn't really feel like "my dog" if I had to report to her and use her training facility in order to keep him. It sounded very crazy actually! I was very disappointed since she didn't state this stuff up front. This has been very tiring and difficult process with flakey breeders, or ones that had massive egos and were extremely rude.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have moved this to the service dog section and altered you title a bit to see if you can get more responses.

ADMIN Lisa

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Master Member

Do you know what to look for in a puppy that is going to be a Sd ? It takes a very specific dog. It took us many months to find a breeder for a Sd prospect. And now we have to wait about 6 months.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Master Member

Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend breeders near you. You can also import.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 AM

^^^ this
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM

As far as I know...a dog cannot be trained for awareness to blood sugar lows; they either innately have the skill and & the empathy to want to do something about it, or not. IF they sense the change, and start behaving differently trying to get your attention/snuggle/cuddle, ect... that can be trained to a specific method of alerting you. I might be wrong, but that is my impression.

The nice thing is diabetic alert dogs (and many other kinds of medical alert dogs) can be any breed-- this particular skillset isn't breed specific, and not every member of the breed will be able to perform that task---even if you know another dog of the same breed that can.

GSD's aren't necessarily the best breed for handlers prone to anxiety--especially if you've never had any experience with the breed or other large dogs before. You are the best judge of your condition, and what motivates or triggers it--but if it's fear, please know that GSD's protective instincts typically motivate them to look for the source of that fear; and that can have unfortunate consequences.

You might consider looking for a dog that's already demonstrated the capacity to function the way you need it to, and it might be good to consider other breeds beyond GSD's for the best chance to get an SD asap. If time constraints are at all an issue, I strongly discourage getting a puppy--- SD's typically take 18months-2years before they're ready for a life of service; and the risk of washing out is pretty high even when you've done everything you can to stack the deck in your favor. Good luck.
CometDog likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixZen View Post
As far as I know...a dog cannot be trained for awareness to blood sugar lows; they either innately have the skill and & the empathy to want to do something about it, or not. IF they sense the change, and start behaving differently trying to get your attention/snuggle/cuddle, ect... that can be trained to a specific method of alerting you. I might be wrong, but that is my impression.

A dog can be trained to alert for high or low blood sugar levels. Some are trained to both. For those dogs who are trained for Diabetic Alert, they are also worked with so they give a distinct alert sign to their handler.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page