Need advice choosing a prospect - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Need advice choosing a prospect

So, I've already somewhat chosen the prospect I want, but there have been some complications.
My trainer already had a very well-bred GSD puppy ready for training, and I really want to choose him. However, I would need to pay $15,000 for him. Money is tight, so I can't even afford a quarter of that, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to raise enough money in time by crowdfunding (I only have $200 so far). Because of this, I've been thinking about going with my original plan, which would be adopting a prospect from a shelter, but the washout risk is so high, especially for rescue shepherds being trained as psychiatric service dogs, even if my trainer were to evaluate an older puppy.
I'm really in a sticky situation here, and it's stressing me out. I really want a service dog to have with me for next school year, but if I go with a shelter dog, there's a big risk of constant washouts, plus I can't just keep pulling dogs from shelters to try again.
Should I take a chance with a rescue shepherd, or continue to try raising money for my trainer's prospect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Please tell me that price tag includes the 12 - 18 months of training...

If not. then 3rd option:

You can also go to one of the MANY other breeders across the country that produce well bred, solid, service work capable, dogs, who's puppy prices are a 10th of what your "trainer" is quoting you.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Knighted Member

I'm stuck on crowdfunding a dog.

But yeah, what voodoo said. That's good advice.
angelas and Aly like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Master Member

Why not go to a a breeder? My partner is paying 1500 for a prospect that is being chosen for her. We are fundraising by doing pet portraits, fundraisers at restaurants, raffles, and other stuff. We have raised 800 in less than a month. I would suggest getting creative, but it is a lot of work.

In my opinion you need a very specific dog for service work....especially psychiatric!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Master Member

CCI and little angels service dogs provide service dogs for free. The process is long though.
For 15000 dollars I would expect a fully trained dog....not just a prospect.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
CCI and little angels service dogs provide service dogs for free. The process is long though.
For 15000 dollars I would expect a fully trained dog....not just a prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Please tell me that price tag includes the 12 - 18 months of training...

If not. then 3rd option:

You can also go to one of the MANY other breeders across the country that produce well bred, solid, service work capable, dogs, who's puppy prices are a 10th of what your "trainer" is quoting you.
The price is for the dog itself, the expenses she has paid for the dog's care, and full training, including task training. She said that she would probably need to wait a while for another litter from the shepherd breeders she buys from, and like I said, I really need an SD by next school year. I don't know of any other nearby trainers, but I suppose I can talk to her about it. I'm visiting her on Saturday, so I'll have to discuss options with her.
To Kona, I have thought about going through a free program, but like you already stated, it's a long process, plus I'd like to be really involved in the dog's training.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonflower2 View Post
The price is for the dog itself, the expenses she has paid for the dog's care, and full training, including task training. She said that she would probably need to wait a while for another litter from the shepherd breeders she buys from, and like I said, I really need an SD by next school year. I don't know of any other nearby trainers, but I suppose I can talk to her about it. I'm visiting her on Saturday, so I'll have to discuss options with her.
To Kona, I have thought about going through a free program, but like you already stated, it's a long process, plus I'd like to be really involved in the dog's training.
If the price includes full service dog training... then it's closer to fair. There are still red flags and things that would need to be established... this pup hasn't gone through any training yet right? It is still a prospect... Would the 15k be up front? What happens if the GSD pup washes? Personally I would feel more comfortable paying for the dog separate from the training...

Which brings up another point... even if you went the shelter dog route, found a suitable prospect, you'd still be spending many thousands in training. It's not going to be much of a $$$ savings.

I think you might need to temper your expectations a bit. The reality of finding and then training a young dog and have them ready for full time work in less than a year's time... Is daunting at best. If you absolutely, cannot live with out a dog, NEED one by next school year... Purchasing an already trained adult is the only sure fire way. The 5 digit range is common for that.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Master Member

Trust me I know how it is. My partner really needed a service dog before this current semester. Long story short we aren't even getting a prospect until feb/march. It takes a long time to find the correct breeder, then once you do you have to wait usually.

She takes all online classes and night classes. She works with the school and her teachers to help with her disability in the meantime.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
If the price includes full service dog training... then it's closer to fair. There are still red flags and things that would need to be established... this pup hasn't gone through any training yet right? It is still a prospect... Would the 15k be up front? What happens if the GSD pup washes? Personally I would feel more comfortable paying for the dog separate from the training...

Which brings up another point... even if you went the shelter dog route, found a suitable prospect, you'd still be spending many thousands in training. It's not going to be much of a $$$ savings.

I think you might need to temper your expectations a bit. The reality of finding and then training a young dog and have them ready for full time work in less than a year's time... Is daunting at best. If you absolutely, cannot live with out a dog, NEED one by next school year... Purchasing an already trained adult is the only sure fire way. The 5 digit range is common for that.
He has gone through training (when I say prospect, I mean a prospect for me personally). He's already had his first public access experience as well. And the payment would not be upfront. I would be paying after his full training.
My expectation of having my SD by next school year is the exact reason I have my heart set on the prospect that she already has. Because he's already gone through training with such flying colors so far, he should be ready by the summer.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonflower2 View Post
He has gone through training (when I say prospect, I mean a prospect for me personally). He's already had his first public access experience as well. And the payment would not be upfront. I would be paying after his full training.
My expectation of having my SD by next school year is the exact reason I have my heart set on the prospect that she already has. Because he's already gone through training with such flying colors so far, he should be ready by the summer.
Then it sounds like you have already answered your own question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page