itty bitty brag... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

itty bitty brag...

Couldn't find a better place for this. An old breeder once said, it is not what you do with your dogs, but what others are able to do with your dogs. And so, here goes.

I have a friend who has a bunch of my dogs. Yes, 4 is a bunch. She had five of them, but let one go to a friend with a small kid. Two of them are not really mine, as she bred the two she got from me, and they are two of them. But it still seems like a bunch of my dogs. And she has found sent me many friends and customers and acquaintances for dogs.

She works, owns, does a lot with people with physical and mental challenges. She has often told me how she is working with an autistic client and QT (the pup she let go to her friend). And she sent me a photo of Gus (the boy she got from me) in the midst of about 45 young clients.

The other day, I was talking to her, and she and her trainer and one of the folks who works for her or with her, who has another of my dogs, are using my dogs to teach the people that they work with how to approach dogs, and how to walk dogs. These people really can be a problem for dogs, because they do not understand that they should not run right up to them or put their arms around them, etc. And, some have motions and stuff that can make dogs a little nervous as they are odd to dogs.

I guess it is cool to hear how QT, Nova, and Gus have been used to help people with challenges. A good dog is a good dog. Our dogs do not all have to be willing to sink their teeth into a helper to show proper temperament, and have the kind of solid nerves that make them capable of being trusted around people that may not be predictable all the time.
ksotto333, car2ner, Femfa and 1 others like this.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Couldn't find a better place for this. An old breeder once said, it is not what you do with your dogs, but what others are able to do with your dogs. And so, here goes.

I have a friend who has a bunch of my dogs. Yes, 4 is a bunch. She had five of them, but let one go to a friend with a small kid. Two of them are not really mine, as she bred the two she got from me, and they are two of them. But it still seems like a bunch of my dogs. And she has found sent me many friends and customers and acquaintances for dogs.

She works, owns, does a lot with people with physical and mental challenges. She has often told me how she is working with an autistic client and QT (the pup she let go to her friend). And she sent me a photo of Gus (the boy she got from me) in the midst of about 45 young clients.

The other day, I was talking to her, and she and her trainer and one of the folks who works for her or with her, who has another of my dogs, are using my dogs to teach the people that they work with how to approach dogs, and how to walk dogs. These people really can be a problem for dogs, because they do not understand that they should not run right up to them or put their arms around them, etc. And, some have motions and stuff that can make dogs a little nervous as they are odd to dogs.

I guess it is cool to hear how QT, Nova, and Gus have been used to help people with challenges. A good dog is a good dog. Our dogs do not all have to be willing to sink their teeth into a helper to show proper temperament, and have the kind of solid nerves that make them capable of being trusted around people that may not be predictable all the time.

100% , Congratulations!!

Kim
selzer likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Knighted Member

That's a great point, solid nerves is the key really for all types of work. Congratulations!
selzer likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:

Excellent point - I'm always delighted to hear how versatile our GSDs can be. I volunteered with St. John Ambulance Therapy Dogs for many years and we had a couple of standout GSDs on the roster. They were very engaged with the elderly in long term care facilities and calm around wheelchairs, medical equipment and unusual behaviours. Many folks we visited were rural people, and our GSDs reminded them of farm dogs they had grown up with and loved.
Congrats to QT, Nova and Gus for their special talents and training!
selzer likes this.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

It's nice to hear good things about stable dogs with good temperaments. Go Browns, but most of all Roll on Tribe, this is a fun season!
selzer likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:50 PM

I love your stories. My big boy does well with people, too. He doesn't seek out attention but accepts it graciously...and if he gets bored he might get a bit impish and try to get a smile out of someone. My mom is recovering from leg surgery and we were able to bring him into the rehab center. That means it will take a good 20 minutes to get down the hall with all the "Is he friendly?" and " may I touch him?" and such. He did so well with the busy staff and the wheel chairs and laying down to wait while we chatted before even getting to see "grandma".

We don't necessarily want to our beloved GSDs to be "pointy nosed Labradors" but having one with good people skills is wonderful!
selzer likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
It's nice to hear good things about stable dogs with good temperaments. Go Browns, but most of all Roll on Tribe, this is a fun season!
Yep, I am smiling ear to ear, 101 wins and counting. Having the Indians is perhaps a recompense for what we will have to endure until December wears away, and we can look at draft picks and hope, yet again for next year. But the Indians, what a ride this year has been. I want a that meme of Chief Wahoo, tastefully done, nude, with the words, We're Streaking! on a T-shirt. Would I wear it to work on a scruffy Friday, that is the question.
ksotto333 likes this.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I love your stories. My big boy does well with people, too. He doesn't seek out attention but accepts it graciously...and if he gets bored he might get a bit impish and try to get a smile out of someone. My mom is recovering from leg surgery and we were able to bring him into the rehab center. That means it will take a good 20 minutes to get down the hall with all the "Is he friendly?" and " may I touch him?" and such. He did so well with the busy staff and the wheel chairs and laying down to wait while we chatted before even getting to see "grandma".

We don't necessarily want to our beloved GSDs to be "pointy nosed Labradors" but having one with good people skills is wonderful!

I know labs are very popular. More litters and pups registered than any other breed by leaps and bounds, for what 10 years? 15? 20? I find a connection with shepherds, even brief ships passing in the night, something about the expression of intelligent emotion that maybe I don't see in other dogs, because other dogs rarely interest me at all. Goldens have it. The labs I have seen just don't. They will shove their soggy ball in your lap a hundred times in a row, and I suppose some might find appeal in that. I like a shepherd who has to decide whether you are worth a sniff and a polite tail wag, whether you deserve to pet their sleek but hairy coat, and if they should ask you to scratch their butt.

Yes, they are not pointy-nosed/ear'd labs. A good shepherd is not a bull in a china shop around old people or the very young. They do understand stuff, or they read us extremely well. Moreso than other breeds. I have seen hyper young shepherds change in a moment into the perfect nurse or nanny around a frail person or a baby/small child. And even young dogs, untrained, that were not raised with children, can just know to be careful with the small ones. When I remember the not yet 2 year old Cujo walking carefully with a little girl, just learning to walk, hand on his butt, following him through the house -- there is something there, something alive and working in the noggin of a German Shepherd.

When I was a kid, long before I had any purebred GSDs, my mom brought home a stray bitch-pup that her aunt had been feeding. The dog was a shepherd-hound mix. She was a great dog. Bit the Dominos guy who ran up onto the porch to deliver a flier, and startled my brother and the dog who were sleeping on the porch. But she had those soulful eyes of a shepherd. That expression that said she understood stuff. The water lady had to read the meter, and so she went on the porch to ask my mother to bring the dog in. My mom sent my six year old sister, who was always small and sickly, out to bring the dog in, while the lady hit behind the car. Princess. Could have dragged Lisa down the street after the lady, but she didn't. I was a teenager when we got Princess. I would take her out rambling in the woods, or down the streets of the village at night. She would run up on people's porches and eat their cat food. And when we got down to Lawson's she would wait outside for me and get a day-old chocolate donut for waiting. One day a small child was walking her mother, and asked me, "May I pet your dog." I could not say no, so I said yes, a little nervous as to how Princess would behave. She was perfect, very quiet, very careful, accepted the girl's pets politely. I dunno. Some people really don't want the crazy ball-dog.
car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 AM

amen Selzer

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yep, I am smiling ear to ear, 101 wins and counting. Having the Indians is perhaps a recompense for what we will have to endure until December wears away, and we can look at draft picks and hope, yet again for next year. But the Indians, what a ride this year has been. I want a that meme of Chief Wahoo, tastefully done, nude, with the words, We're Streaking! on a T-shirt. Would I wear it to work on a scruffy Friday, that is the question.
Wear it! No one will frown. Can't wait for October games to start.
On the other subject my lovely 6 year old will sit in front of anyone with her ball in her mouth or under her paw for hours. Nothing makes her happier than the thrill of the chase, worse than either of the Labs I had. Della loves fetch but only when we want to do it. So different from each other.
selzer and Nigel like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page