Contacted neighbor about dog attack on our 5-yo. This is their reply: - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Contacted neighbor about dog attack on our 5-yo. This is their reply:

As we figured, their response was that their pit bull service dog is very protective of their children, and that it has a difficult time telling the difference between their girls' play noise and danger noise. That's pretty much her exact words.

She apologized twice and said they will have their girls go out the front door of the house instead of keeping the garage door open. I'll assume these dogs are kept in their laundry room, which opens into the garage. They would usually keep the garage door wide open all day when the girls are outside playing, so if the dog sneaks out too, there is nothing stopping it from running loose through the neighborhood like it did when it chased down our son in our own front yard twice.

And she mentioned that her children who witnessed all of this, never thought it was important enough to tell her. I'm thinking they were afraid of the results. Like I mentioned, we hear them beating their dogs. Who knows what they do to their kids behind closed doors. They think their children are angels, and even told my wife that this particular pit bull is their baby and angel and he could never do any wrong. They are some of the people who are always talking about how amazing pit bulls are and how they always get a bad rap. I wonder why...hmmmm...

It's a classic example of "when the cats away, the mice will play" for both the dog and the children. We are neighbors, so it's difficult to avoid them, but we don't like our children playing with theirs. It's one of those situations where the parents have no clue where their children are, and one time the police even picked up the oldest who had wandered and brought her home.

I also looked up the service dog company that is allowing this family to foster their dogs, and it made me realize that they had a foster dog in-training who died around the same time this family was keeping it. The website mentions that it was a hot summer day and the dog suddenly went into seizures. This was around the same time we heard the neighbors beating their dogs in the backyard. It's a privacy fence, so I can only hear and not see what was actually happening. I put 2 and 2 together and instantly thought (while hoping for the best and not trying to overreact) that this guy might've killed that dog, either intentionally or accidentally, probably by not getting it water or something. Can heat cause seizures in a dog that has never had health issues before? I don't know.

It's sad too, because this SD organization thinks these neighbors are worthy of a PTSD success story SD documentary. If they only knew what was really happening at this home.

We try our best to avoid them until they move. If there is any goodbye discussion before they leave, I will talk to the husband to ensure they know their dog is aggressive and should not be out in public without a muzzle, and should not be a service dog. I'm sure I'll get brushed off like I believe they are doing now. I'm not sure if the wife will even tell the husband about the attack, since she doesn't seem to be taking it too seriously now that we've told her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Aww well ...pretty much what you thought but it does sound like at the very least they will make some sorta attempt to see it doesn't happen again!

And yeah "Fake Service" dogs at best and the company responsible is a "shill" to be generous they are doing a disservice to dogs and people! They should be out of business!

And at the very least those are the types of people that should not own any dog much less "Pitties." It's just sad all around.
MineAreWorkingline and Wulf like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Aww well ...pretty much what you thought but it does sound like at the very least they will make some sorta attempt to see it doesn't happen again!

And yeah "Fake Service" dogs at best and the company responsible is a "shill" to be generous they are doing a disservice to dogs and people! They should be out of business!

And at the very least those are the types of people that should not own any dog much less "Pitties." It's just sad all around.
Yeah, so now that we've contacted the family, we can make our other neighbors aware. There is one in particular who has a 2-year old girl and they are "friendly" with these neighbors who own the pit bull. We will see them leave their 2-year old in the yard of this other family, or will allow their 2-yo to play in their own front yard directly across the street. We feel safe because we live on a military base, but after our son got bitten, it is no longer safe until this family moves. We will not allow our children to play with theirs despite them saying they will keep the garage door closed. Whenever they walk to their vehicles, they have their dogs off leash from the house to the car. I am not sure if this family is thinking on that level, but if we were out in our front yard, would the dog bolt and charge our children again? Probably. I don't think they are looking at the bigger picture and still think their dog is an angel and wouldn't harm anyone (again).

I think once they move and I retire, we're going to contact the SD company to let them know the history of what we've lived next to, and depending on their reaction, possibly report them and get them shut down.

The more I think about this as I type, the more details surface. There are lots of kids who come over to the neighbors house to see if they can play, and they either play in their own front yard or go for bike rides. ALL of these young children come over unsupervised (again, because living in base housing makes people feel overly safe as there is no crime or anything crazy). This could get ugly if people aren't staying on top of the situation.

We just have to hang in there another 2 weeks and they said they will be gone to their new house in another town. I hope they don't have neighbors there with young children.
Chip18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
As we figured, their response was that their pit bull service dog is very protective of their children, and that it has a difficult time telling the difference between their girls' play noise and danger noise. That's pretty much her exact words.

She apologized twice and said they will have their girls go out the front door of the house instead of keeping the garage door open. I'll assume these dogs are kept in their laundry room, which opens into the garage. They would usually keep the garage door wide open all day when the girls are outside playing, so if the dog sneaks out too, there is nothing stopping it from running loose through the neighborhood like it did when it chased down our son in our own front yard twice.

And she mentioned that her children who witnessed all of this, never thought it was important enough to tell her. I'm thinking they were afraid of the results. Like I mentioned, we hear them beating their dogs. Who knows what they do to their kids behind closed doors. They think their children are angels, and even told my wife that this particular pit bull is their baby and angel and he could never do any wrong. They are some of the people who are always talking about how amazing pit bulls are and how they always get a bad rap. I wonder why...hmmmm...

It's a classic example of "when the cats away, the mice will play" for both the dog and the children. We are neighbors, so it's difficult to avoid them, but we don't like our children playing with theirs. It's one of those situations where the parents have no clue where their children are, and one time the police even picked up the oldest who had wandered and brought her home.

I also looked up the service dog company that is allowing this family to foster their dogs, and it made me realize that they had a foster dog in-training who died around the same time this family was keeping it. The website mentions that it was a hot summer day and the dog suddenly went into seizures. This was around the same time we heard the neighbors beating their dogs in the backyard. It's a privacy fence, so I can only hear and not see what was actually happening. I put 2 and 2 together and instantly thought (while hoping for the best and not trying to overreact) that this guy might've killed that dog, either intentionally or accidentally, probably by not getting it water or something. Can heat cause seizures in a dog that has never had health issues before? I don't know.

It's sad too, because this SD organization thinks these neighbors are worthy of a PTSD success story SD documentary. If they only knew what was really happening at this home.

We try our best to avoid them until they move. If there is any goodbye discussion before they leave, I will talk to the husband to ensure they know their dog is aggressive and should not be out in public without a muzzle, and should not be a service dog. I'm sure I'll get brushed off like I believe they are doing now. I'm not sure if the wife will even tell the husband about the attack, since she doesn't seem to be taking it too seriously now that we've told her.

DID you ask for proof of rabies vaccine???? I would be concerned. Did the dog look and appear to be healthy etc? Anytime skin is broken rabies is something to worry about.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:07 PM

Or did you ask the company having them foster the animal proof of rabies vaccine?
maxtmill and Wulf like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

If this dog mauls and disfigures a child, or worse, do you know what these people are going to say?

"We had no idea. He never did anything of the sort like this, ever."

If your neighbors are beating their dogs, what is preventing you from calling the police when one bites your child? You want to be friends with these people?

There should be a record, and the dog should be quarantined for a number of days. What this will do, is it will make it very official, and the people will not be able to just believe Putsie is just wonderful.

The way it stands, the dog is very likely to have another incident. The owners are not serious about safety with this animal, that is "very protective" of its girls. Well it has targeted your boy, and I think the odds are better than not that it will gain access to your son or another child.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Knighted Member

Shouldn't a service dog worth its salt be able to discern regular old kid noise from a threat? Am I off base?
Wulf likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
the service dog company
First of all, I suggest you not to press on pitbulls, because pitbulls can be real service dogs, they can be really sweet dogs. But this
Quote:
when it chased down our son in our own front yard twice.
is unacceptable even for untrained puppy, saying nothing about trained service dog! Though... I think it's a joke:
https://www.servicedogcertifications.org/
You can punish them by removing their dog's registration, report them as cheaters. I believe, you can find means to do so, just don't know how. Shame... Others try bringing their service dogs to perfection, discuss subtleties, and in the end... it happens that their dogs are of no difference than somebody's beast trampling down through neighbour's garden chasing their child.
Chip18 and Wulf like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

What Selzer said!!!

And...their move will not stop them from beating and possibly (allegedly) killing another "service" dog
The animals in this situation also need intervention
Chip18 and Wulf like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
if this theory is true... wow..
Wulf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page