While we're discussing aggressive service dogs, dobermans, pit bulls, etc... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

While we're discussing aggressive service dogs, dobermans, pit bulls, etc...

Quote:
Residents may not board dogs of any breed (including a mixed breed) that are deemed “aggressive or potentially aggressive,” unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler/trainer or approval is obtained by the Installation Commander in writing. For purposes of this policy, aggressive or potentially aggressive breeds of dogs are defined as a Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Bull Terrier), Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, Chow and wolf hybrids. Prohibition also extends to other breeds of dogs or individual dogs that demonstrate or are known to demonstrate a propensity for dominant or aggressive behavior as indicated by any of the following type of behaviors: 1) Unprovoked barking, growling or snarling at people approaching the animal, 2) Aggressively running along a fence line when people are present, 3) Biting or scratching people, and 4) Escaping confinement or restriction to chase people.
I found the above on an official military website. It helps answer some of the questions from the previous thread. It also proves this neighbor's service dog is breaking multiple rules at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for the information.
Wulf likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

There are exceptions if the dog is a service dog.

I have always found it interesting and baffling that the Doberman is not allowed on Posts and Bases while the GSD is. The number of bites doing bodily harm in a study from the Doberman is 23 and the GSD is 113.
http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-atta...ifton-2014.pdf
Wulf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
There are exceptions if the dog is a service dog.

I have always found it interesting and baffling that the Doberman is not allowed on Posts and Bases while the GSD is. The number of bites doing bodily harm in a study from the Doberman is 23 and the GSD is 113.
http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-atta...ifton-2014.pdf
Thank you ... that was the question I was trying to ask. Why the Dobbie?? By and large most people don't even know they are around anymore??? I never saw a single Dobbie in San Jose population 900,000 at the time.

And I have only seen one in Dayton ... and she was hugh (113 lbs???) and a very sweet well behaved dog ... who was clearly not trained by the owner! She was on a flexi leash??? And wondering about to and fro at will, Rocky was in Place and she walked over to greet him ...yep no I got between them on general principle. But no growling or misbehavior by either dog. The owner clearly did not train that dog but the Dobbie was a sweetheart. OS and all ... she did the Breed proud!

I never got into "Dobbies" myself ... I view them as tall narrow Boxers with funny faces. Hardly Breed Bashing in my view?? I was merely curious as to what changed in "military housing" with "Dobbies??"
Wulf likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
I found the above on an official military website. It helps answer some of the questions from the previous thread. It also proves this neighbor's service dog is breaking multiple rules at once.
Ugh ...not a lawyer ... I find that confusing?? Is it a "Breed Ban" or is it a badly behaved "Dog" ban???
Wulf likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Army Replies, Just Following Orders ? But For Families, Either Live Off-Base, or Lose The Dog | Steve Dale Pet World

In 1996 the military privatized housing. Basically, housing is no longer under the auspices of the military despite being on Post or Base. My guess is a way to save money due to all the budget cuts the military has had handed to them.
Chip18 and Wulf like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Army Replies, Just Following Orders ? But For Families, Either Live Off-Base, or Lose The Dog | Steve Dale Pet World

In 1996 the military privatized housing. Basically, housing is no longer under the auspices of the military despite being on Post or Base. My guess is a way to save money due to all the budget cuts the military has had handed to them.
Uh ... wow thank you! And that decision is truly both heartbreaking and despicable in my view!

If I chose to service my country ... I may lose my dog, if I have the wrong "Breed!" That flat sucks!!!!
Deb, car2ner, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:54 PM

A dog by its aggressive actions toward people shows that it is NOT a Service Dog. Doesn't matter what the owner says. The Department of Justice , HUD, and the Department of Defense are all in accord on this.
Deb and Wulf like this.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
A dog by its aggressive actions toward people shows that it is NOT a Service Dog. Doesn't matter what the owner says. The Department of Justice , HUD, and the Department of Defense are all in accord on this.
What about aggressive actions toward domestic animals?
Wulf likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
"No right thinking human being" would disagree with that.

If a dog is functioning as a "Service Animal" ... people should not know the dog is there aside from seeing him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page