Service Dogs: Intact or S/N - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Service Dogs: Intact or S/N

A question (or some times a statement) that comes up from time to time is concerning does a dog need to be spayed or neutered?

There are a couple of ways to look at this topic. Are you going by law or by an individual organization's policy? Maybe you are just basing on your own opinion?

I was in a discussion earlier as to if SDs are required by U.S. Fed Law to be spayed or neutered. The answer to this one is shocking to many.

Q. Does the ADA/Dept. of Justice Title II or Title III require a SD to be neutered or spayed?

A. There is no law under the DOJ addressing this issue so the answer is NO. An individual program or trainer/handler have the option to work intact dogs if they wish.

Added fact: There is an in-house regulation of the ADI (Assistance Dog International) that requires organizations in seeking to become a part of ADI's Coalition to agree to have all dogs be spayed or neutered. So this is a regulation of ADI and only affects its members or potential members.

There are many individuals who have made the decision not to early spay or neuter their SDs (especially those to be used for some types of mobility work) but to wait until the dog reaches maturity and growth plates close. The popular consensus, in my opinion, seem to be with the wait until the dog is at least 24 months of age. So this would mean that SD Candidates, SDITs and possibly even some SDs may still be intact until a certain point of maturity is reached.

There are also legally working SDs that remain intact throughout their career.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

I would try to side step it, in regards to the individual SD organization.... especially if you are dealing with a vet/issue that could affect your dogs individual growth and progress.
Dogs need their hormones to be structurally sound, and being intact is important for the growing/maturity of that.
There must be a way around it, waivers and vet recommendations. If it is mandatory, then obviously the dog will be culled from service, which is a HUGE disservice.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-10-2015 at 11:19 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I would try to side step it, in regards to the individual SD organization.... especially if you are dealing with a vet/issue that could affect your dogs individual growth and progress.
Dogs need their hormones to be structurally sound, and being intact is important for the growing/maturity of that.
There must be a way around it, waivers and vet recommendations. If it is mandatory, then obviously the dog will be culled from service, which is a HUGE disservice.
Programs generally do not place a dog with a handler before 2 years, so by then it's safe to S/N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

More and more owner trainers are waiting longer to S/N their dog. If the dog comes from a rescue there isn't anything that can be done about their policy, but if from a shelter or a breeder the owner has the final word. I would also say (based on my talking to a large number of people) that while many decide to wait, very few ever allow their dogs to breed in that time.

As to programs, some S/N their candidates before formal training begins while others will wait longer. Again, there is no law that states that a SD needs to be S/N, there are only policies within groups or organizations that decide when.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
More and more owner trainers are waiting longer to S/N their dog. If the dog comes from a rescue there isn't anything that can be done about their policy, but if from a shelter or a breeder the owner has the final word.
It's not always a rescue "policy." Some state laws require public shelters and rescues to speuter before releasing dogs. This includes pediatric speutering.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Elite Member

If you ever plan to sell a dog for working applications or use the dog for work at some point do not Spay or Neuter. You remove all the value from the dog when you do this.

Bastian the Beast

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

When it comes to Medical Assistance / Service Dogs in the vast majority of cases it is better to S/N the dog before they are taken out and worked as a fully trained SD.

* A good number of handlers have never owned a dog much less a working dog before.
* Many handlers do not have the strength to control the situation that could arise with a male approaching their in-heat female. (These females should not be taken out to work at this time, but they still need to be exercised and taken to potty.)
* Working an intact male could be dicey if approached by another intact male.
* It is not uncommon for an intact dog to behave out of normal character or to seem to forget some of their training at this time. It takes a firm hand to keep these dogs working properly.

Going through a program for a dog, the handler doesn't normally have any choice when their dog is S/N, so that is a point to either owner train or for the owner to hire a professional to train the dog.

It will take on the average of 18-24 months to raise and train a SD. So many non-program dogs are S/N at that time period based on the tasks the dog will be doing, the breed and the overall temperament of the dog.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM

I have a Legal SD that stayed intact until he reached 2 1/2. I took the advice of his trainer to make sure he was fully developed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 PM

My female SD is still intact; I'm saving up for an ovarian-sparing spay so that she'll continue to get her hormones without the risk of puppies or uterine infection. When she goes into heat we are Queens of the midnight and 4am dog-walk, and we cut our public outings down to the absolute minimum or none at all. An ordinary spay would rob her of the hormones her body needs to best cope with the demands of mobility assistance tasks, and there's been a study that shows female GSD's who were recipients of a standard spay are actually more reactive than the non-spayed counterparts--- even among working dogs.

My SD is a Shepherd mix, not a purebred, but having her temperament altered towards reactivity isn't something I'm willing to risk. Until I can save up for the spay that will leave her hormones, and her temperament, intact---she will be too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Crowned Member

How long does a female in heat have discharge? I have never owned an intact female. My female SD was spayed under a year old.

SDs must be strictly house trained in order to work so a female having discharge should be kept home. Having to not use your SD for 3 weeks by choice would be a pretty big deal.

Having a female out in diapers would send the wrong message big time and that would be a hygiene issue that the public shouldn't deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page