Escalators - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Talking Escalators

Just introduced Flash to the evil dog eating moving stair case cliff... Part of me felt bad but the other part wanted to laugh at how much he spazzed. He did good though and we went both up and down a few times but he definitely wasn't a fan!

Anyone else experience that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think facilities allow this. It's a wreck waiting to happen.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

We were with his trainer who regularly trains at the store we were at. We were not the first pair of hers that had an interesting introduction. By the end of the night he was going on and off with a wonderfully timed little hop even if he still wasn't truly sure of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

After watching the Japanese lady get eaten by an escalator I am not thinking I will ever use one again. I wouldn't put my dog on one. Good think there aren't any in Ashtabula County, Ohio. Couple of elevators here, but mostly where the dogs don't go.

I did take a couple of my dogs on the elevator at my previous job. So I know they can do them if ever they are necessary, but we're steering clear of escalators. That woman died. She got her kid out of it and it just, ate her, in front of her kid. It was terrible. Malfunction or not.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Ack! That is so horrible! Flash does elevators without any issue but being in a busy city his trainer at least wants him introduced to escalators. I'm happy avoiding them for the most part.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM

I'm with Selzer.. Nevermind the fact my little town only has literally one escalator, and I think I've been on it once in my entire life growing up in this dump. So I don't see Bear ever needing to take a ride on it.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Based on what I have heard over the last dozen or so years the vast majority of trainers and SD handlers say ...

NO to escalators and a big YES to elevators.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Originally that was my thought process, but my trainer was rather insistent. I am perfectly happy with elevators and he handles them without issues thank goodness.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 PM

there's no question that escalators can be a dangerous place but in the interest of service dogs - I do think that it's beneficial to expose the dogs to escalators. some dogs have major aversions to them which I think it's better to know ahead of time... and others that are fine and their handlers may rarely or never ride them but should the need ever arise, both dogs and handlers should be comfortable with all aspects of boarding-riding-exiting... especially since my clients are visually impaired.

when training the dogs there are specific protocols that I follow including an exposure, an intro, then training/conditioning... once comfortable with the technique the dogs are required to ride a variety of escalators in order to generalize, then they are tested with a blindfolded handler.

once issued to a client - the client must ride 3 different escalators under instructor supervision before given a "pass" as far as proficiency. our dogs also wear booties on their rear feet since that's where many foot injuries occur.

it's a lot, and not worth if for some... but necessary for others.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 10-30-2015 at 12:39 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes with trainers you just have to say "No" -- kinda like Mrs. Regan's anti drug campaign...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page