OT - Stupid question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

OT - Stupid question.

I thought this may be the best forum to ask my question to, even though it's not for service dog purposes.

I am purchasing a harness with the detachable Velcro patches for my rescue dog who has some fear aggression. I'm purchasing one that is light reflective because we often walk at night, with the patches that say DO NOT PET. It's not to pass her off as a service dog, it's a warning to people not to get close. We do also walk during the day, and often get people wanting to pet her, and it's just really not a good idea. I do let them know when they ask, but too many people try to approach without asking, and I have to tell them she bites, and then get an ear full about my rudeness or how wrong I am to take out an aggressive dog.

Anyway, to my question. The site I am ordering from needs her measurements, and I'm not sure where I am supposed to measure. They are asking for chest size. Can someone tell me from what area to what area I am supposed to measure? She is a tiny girl, so I don't want to go off breed size suggestions.

Thanks in advanced for any help! And I apologize if this is the wrong board for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM

Sorry, can't help on the vest sizing... but if people come over to your dog and close enough to read/notice the "Do Not Pet" badge... seems like they're already too close!

Is this an adult GSD?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes, 3yrs old. The patches are bright orange, I'm hoping it will make it more obvious. I have zero issues telling people to keep their distance, I'm just hoping the patches will deter at least a 4th of the people who normally approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:32 AM

I have an ezydog vest that has 'in training' patch on both sides. People do not approach to pet Ruby. Curious people ask me what we are training for, tho. I have had parents tell their kids "that dog is training so you can't go up and pet." Also the ezydog vest is adjustable, but I'm sure at 3 your dog is done growing. You just want to make sure she doesn't gain weight as she ages, if it's a fitted non-adjustable vest.

The other thing that helps keeping people at bay, is walking with authority or with a purpose and a bit aloof, put yourself in the training mode as well. :-)

Last edited by Ruby'sMom; 07-14-2015 at 10:36 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Can I tell them "not to bite" if they ask what she is in training for ?. The vest I'm ordering is adjustable at the stomach, but not the chest. Should I just go with a fully adjustable one? I thought her chest would be as broad as it's going to get by 3yrs old?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Knighted Member

If you post a link to the vest you are looking at, maybe someone can tell you exactly how to measure.

When strangers ask if they can pet Bash, I tell them we are training him to ignore strangers. It usually does the trick! He's fine with people and doesn't bite, but I don't want him to think he's going to meet everyone who walks past him. With Lyka, I don't know if I would say you are in training not to bite, but maybe you could say she was rescued from a bad situation and that she doesn't trust people yet. Though, that could backfire with the "but all dogs like me!" crowd. It's rough! I'm sure you'll be able to make great strides with Lyka as time goes on!

Train the dog in front of you.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Master Member

I always just keep Wick on my side in a heel away from people and walk with a purpose fastly and do not make eye contact so they get the message that we are not going to interact. After doing this I have never had anyone try to pet him, if they come too close I just turn and walk the other way. Wick barks if I talk to people that he is supposed to be ignoring (still working on this it's getting better) so I avoid any sort of interaction at all, you'd be amazed how easy it is to get strangers to ignore you and your dog doing this stuff haha. I have found that wicks reactivity went away once he understood none of these strangers were going to have anything to do with him, which I think is why the talking still upsets him.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I forget my iPhone emojis don't work on the forum. I put a crazy face after the "bite" comment, but it comes out as a ? Instead. It was my poor humor, I was completely joking.

I have the link saved at the office, I'll post as soon as I get my lazy but into work.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned

And I'm not actually worried she will bite, she hasn't to date, I'm just aware she CAN bite, and is not comfortable with people she doesn't know. I've tried saying she is shy, she doesn't like people, we are training, she's a rescue and am not sure of her attitude, and people seem to take that as a "well let me try it, dogs all LOVE me crap." So, I've found saying "she bites" keeps people at bay.

I don't want her to get to the point where anyone can walk up and pet her. I don't want her to be a big cuddly ole bear. I just want to get her non reactive to people, so she isn't so stressed on walks when we do encounter people, which is every single walk we take.

I do maintain my stride, but dang, people can be persitant and have even had a few people jog up behind me to ask questions about her. She'll give a warning bark or two, and I've learned to say "sorry, she bites" and keep on walking.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Knighted Member

BTW Jschrest-- There is no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page