Fearful Agression in 11.5 MO GSSD (to service dogs) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Fearful Agression in 11.5 MO GSSD (to service dogs)

Hello,
We paid a professional trainer to train a German Shepherd Service Dog for Seizure Alert for our two Sons (10 and 15). She was delivered April 9th at age 10 months. She was not house trained, which took 10 days to correct. On the 16th day, a Realtor came to our home she barked/growled at him. Ears back and cowering, tries to get away. She has done it for every visitor and the last time I brought her in public a man made eye contact and she did it to him. She even started doing it to our eldest Son (23) and my husband on occasion. We have contacted a new trainer that will come assess the situation in mid June. Please, any advice from more knowledgeable people about this? I have it on video and uploaded to youtube if that is allowed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Who was the trainer? There is a "seizure alert" trainer out there that has moved from state to state and committed fraud.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Not going to reveal who the trainer is, until I figure out with a new trainer if this can be fixed. We love our GSD and are wanting to keep her regardless of the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I have learned a lot through research. I know that she is too young, most trainers wouldn't train any dog for Service Dog work until they are at least a year old. Also, I have reason to believe she was over crated. I was told by several trainers the only reason a dog would show fear aggression at 10 months is lack of socialization in early puppy months.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

It wouldn't let me post the video link until I reached 3 post... I know that seeing it will make it much easier than me explaining what is happening. This is Blue reacting to my oldest son walking in the room. She did the exact behavior to strangers who came here and the manager at the store as well. On leash or off, this is how she is acting when anyone except young and female members of our household make eye contact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyBJwL-pAH0
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayerOfFaith View Post
I was told by several trainers the only reason a dog would show fear aggression at 10 months is lack of socialization in early puppy months.
Could be the cause but I would disagree that it's the "only" cause. Genetics are going to play a much larger role in fear aggression than a lack of socialization. Poor nerves are genetic. My dog was a winter baby and had very little socialization in the early puppy months. He has zero fear aggression tendencies. He's overly social.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

oh boy . Sounds like this dog is not cut out for the job.
Some major nerve and confidence issues .

No dog should have been promoted as a "seizure alert" dog at 10 months of age. Not being house trained throws some suspicion on how much socialization this dog has had .

Who selected the dog ? You or the trainer?

Here is the problem and it is a big one --- if this dog is this fearful with fairly normal situations how is it going to act when one of your sons DOES have a seizure ?

There are organizations which have genuinely qualified staff that either have a breeding program, are "pickers" , can raise a dog for the job , and can train , and will release the dog to the right match home , and will stand behind their "product" - including many in home training sessions .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

and now that I've seen the video , this dog is not the right candidate for the job.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM

You really should let us know who the trainer is so others don't get duped. If your dog isn't even house broken it surely has never been trained at all. Your dog is not going to be suitable for the job it has been given. I hope this doesn't mean you will give up on the dog though, the problems you face can be worked through with patience - especially at a young age.

Look for a behaviorist in your area - not a trainer.

Your dog sounds like it is very nervy as someone else already mentioned, she will likely never be an 'easy' dog - but that doesn't mean she can't be a great dog. Part of the nerves may come from how she was brought up. Since she wasn't even potty trained I'm going to assume that anything is on the table including abuse from the previous handler.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with the Breeder, neither the Mom or Dad has shown aggression. The trainer took the whole litter and put them all out as service dogs for various jobs PTSD, Autism and Seizure Alert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page