New Puppy Assistance Dog Candidate For Me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

New Puppy Assistance Dog Candidate For Me

Well, after over a year of waiting the right pup finally became available for me. His registered name is Pyro vom Wildhaus but his call name is now "Kaleb". He was born Dec. 19, 2014 and flown down to FL on February 21, 2015.

Kaleb is (I am very hopeful) being trained to step in as mascot for my non-profit and demo dog for community activities.
** He is now going through puppy class and will remain there until he is 6 months of age. He is scheduled for his AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy certification in April.
** At 6 months, he will be going into Foundation I Obedience (basic) followed by Foundation II Obedience.
** After he is 12 months of age, he will be going for his AKC CGC Title and evaluation to become a Therapy Dog.

Somewhere in his first 2 years we will be starting AKC Obedience, Trick Class, Nose Work, and Rally Class. We may also check out Barn Hunt and Herding.

Between 1 and 2 years of age, Kaleb will be working toward his AKC Community Canine Certification and AKC Therapy Dog Titles. I also hope to be able to have him ATTS (temperament tested) as soon after 18 months of age as possible.

At 24 months of age he will be finishing up his medical evaluations and if all comes back to our satisfaction on his health certs, he passes his Public Access Test and is able to do his task work to my satisfaction, Kaleb will then begin working as my Assistance (Service) Dog for my mobility issues.

In the U.S. we are very lucky to be allowed to owner train our Service Dogs. For a proper SD, owners should be aware that it is more than the owner having a disability and the dog being potty trained and learning a couple of tasks. There are many hours of work involved in training and should be on-going evaluations from official/professional sources as to health and temperament.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM

I'm currently owner training my service dog, and I'll agree, there's a TON of work involved. One thing that continually amazes me is how intelligent they are, and how quick they are at picking up your needs and finding ways of helping, often ways you didn't even think of.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Keleb is a raw food/home prepared food fed pup.

So far Kaleb has had grnd chicken, beef and pork along with canned plain pumpkin, mashed green beans, banana, chopped apple and grnd chicken bone, beef liver, chicken liver and heart and raw whole egg (egg about 2X per week). He is also getting coconut oil daily.

He is about to get his first serving of plain, no sugar Kefir to go with his lunch. If he likes it I will be making our own Kefir at home.

I am trying to track down some good local sources of goat and rabbit meat along with goat milk cheese.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I tried dehydrating chicken and beef liver in the oven. It was a mess and a half. A friend of mine is gifting an electric dehydrator to Kaleb for training treats. So looking forward to fixing his liver treats that way.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

I'll be taking Kaleb into the vet Monday morning for his 2nd Distemper / Parvo vaccination. He received his first at 8 weeks old and he just turned 12 weeks on Friday. That will leave one more at 16 weeks of age.

If he was not going out for Puppy Class etc. I would consider only 1 more at the 14-16 week range.

He will then get yearly titers.

He will get his first Rabies vac. at 20 weeks of age and then a (3 year) vac. 1 year later.

His schedule is very closely based on Dr. Jean Dodd's 2012 schedule.

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Dr. Dodds' 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
I tried dehydrating chicken and beef liver in the oven. It was a mess and a half. A friend of mine is gifting an electric dehydrator to Kaleb for training treats. So looking forward to fixing his liver treats that way.
So happy to hear about Kaleb! AND that he is a "Raw Fed" dog!

I've got an easier way to dry/jerk chicken or beef liver for treats. You can leave them soft or dry them out for a crunchy chip. I've used the dehydrator too but I prefer these. After you make them for the first time, and get the hang of it, it's EEEEZY PEEEEZY!

Dutch's LIVER LEATHER TREATS FOR DOGS AND CATS

You will need the following:
1 pounds raw calf liver or chicken liver
1 can sardines packed in water (drained before use) OPTIONAL
Pam Spray
Cookie sheet at least 12 x 16" non-stick with sides on it. If the cookie sheet isn’t a non-stick one, line it with oven-safe parchment paper that is purchased at the grocery store. It’s a white non burning paper made especially for the oven.
Blender
Garlic powder or salt (optional)
Scissors

Preheat oven to 190 degrees.

Procedure:
Place liver, drained sardines (optional), and a few shakes of garlic powder together into the blender. Pulse in small bursts to get it started and once it gets to the chunky stage, leave blender on for about 20-30 seconds to fully blend. This will create a thick paste.
NOTE: If your blender is small and low horse power, do this in smaller batches,. You don’t want to overtax your blender motor.

Spray your non-stick cookie sheet with a small amount of Pam making sure that you rub it into the corners of the pan with your fingers. Or, line the cookie sheet with the Parchment Paper that you’ve cut to fit the pan. If you use the Parchment Paper, it may “curl” up and not stay flat on the pan. For this you can put a dab of water in several spots on the cookie sheet then lay the Parchment on top of the water drops and smooth down. The water will hold it in place.

Pour the mixture on to the cookie sheet. It’s thick, so you can use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the blender to get it all. Spread it out evenly to edges. Your goal is to avoid hills and valleys.

Place in 190 degree oven to bake.

Check pan after 40-50 minutes. If the liver mix has shrunk away from the sides, feels dry and rubbery to the touch and there is not any "stickiness," to it, you are ready to remove it from oven. If not, return to oven, and continue to check it about every 10 minutes or less if it is on the verge of being done.
NOTE: It may create a large bubble in the middle of the pan. Just take a butter knife and poke a few holes in it and continue baking.

Remove from oven and loosen the sides first, then under it and let cool for a few minutes so that you can handle it. It may break apart in places so don’t worry about that. Place rubbery liver sheet on cutting board, and cut into about ¼” strips with scissors. Then cut strips to create small squares about the size of a dime or nickel (they will shrink when you re-dry them). You can either keep them soft or you can place the cut squares back on to the cookie sheet, and return to oven to dry further for approximately an additional hour or longer , but keep checking so as not to burn them. This will create a dehydrated chip.
Place them in a container or baggie after being completely cooled and store in the refrigerator. If you leave them soft, divided into baggies and store in freezer until you need them.
“Bone” Appétit’ Kaleb!

Moms
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Kaleb went to the vet this morning. He weighed in at a bit over 21lbs at 12 weeks. He is getting longer every day. At this age it is so funny to watch them as all body parts don't grow at the same rate.

He is beginning to understand some basic commands such as:
No teeth -- No teeth touching people skin
Box -- get into crate
Place -- jump onto placeboard
Sitz -- sit
Platz -- lay down

He also is starting to stand still to have his harness snapped or unsnapped.
Sitting to have his slip lead put on or off.

Puppy Class tomorrow evening. Four more puppy classes and he will be eligible for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Certificate.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Kaleb is growing up too fast. Last visit he had his 3rd and last Parvo / Distemper puppy round of vacs and weighed in at 39lbs.

He will go back to the vet just before he turns 20 weeks of age for his Rabies Vac in compliance with FL State Law.

No more vacs then until May of 2016 when he will receive his adult 3 year Rabies vac. He will also at that time receive a Parvo / Distemper titer.

He will also soon be having a complete blood panel along with full Thyroid testing done so we have a baseline to compare future testing.

He has completed his first round of Puppy Class and will begin a second round next week. He is scheduled to take his AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy in May.

He started his first round of Foundation I Class yesterday and did very well. I expect him to go through one more round of Foundation I.

I am thinking about attending a two day workshop with Jeff Gellman next month.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

My little guy is growing where we swear that we can see the growth every day. We started him also on fish several weeks ago and like everything else he loves it. Quail is going on sale this week, though still quite pricey, but I am going to get him a dozen. This will be his first quail meal. If he really likes it, I may get him some more but it will be like one quail per week. I'm still looking for some goat, lamb and rabbit in the area. I may have to begin raising my own rabbits again.

Kaleb will be testing for his AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy on Sunday but then returning to Puppy Class the following week. The pups are all learning to really play with each other during the designated play time. I want to keep him in Puppy Class until he ages out.

He also is in Foundation Class and is learning but not enough to be able to graduate from it next week. But I had already planned on him taking it two or three times. The class is mostly feisty young dogs (some just out of Puppy Class) and others that have never been to a class yet. So there is enough distractions in the class to make it a good learning experience itself.

Kaleb and I are sometimes in our own little bubble watching the others and then doing things at our pace. I have to also do things differently with him as he will be my Service Dog (Mobility). When the others are learning to do automatic sits when the handler stops walking, Kaleb is to remain standing at stops. If we are standing there for a bit I sometimes have him sit and sometimes I do not. When we walk I also do not have him in a "heel" position but slightly ahead of me. He is to learn two different walking styles and speeds. "Easy Walk" is loose leash with him a bit further in front than what is normally taught and "Easy Pull" is when I would reach to the short handle on the back of his harness and he is to lean into it to help me as needed. He is just being taught the foundation of the Easy Pull command and will not use it until he is a full 24 months old and had elbows, hips, spine and legs all X-rayed and approved for the work.

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 05-05-2015 at 02:48 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

This is a great resource for people looking to train their own service dog

I wish you all the best and look forward to more updates as he grows

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page