Q&A -- Exercise for Assistance Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Q&A -- Exercise for Assistance Dogs

I haven't posted one of these for awhile ...

For those dogs who are In-Training or working as part of a SD team, do you have an exercise program in place for them? If so can you share some of the details? Do you see any difference in the movement or thinking process since you started having your dog "work out"? How often do you do the exercises on your program?

Often a SD may be expected to lay quietly for a long period of time while the handler holds an office job or the handler is attending a meeting. People get stiff and so would a dog that is expected to lay around at such a job.

Canine Side Bends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C5jiwUuapc

Remember, if doing something like the above exercise start slow and easy. Check with your vet that the dog's overall health would allow the dog to begin doing exercises. (Of course if the vet finds a concern against exercising your dog, your dog should be removed from many types of training or active work.)

The above and other exercises like it may be useful to do for a few minutes at a time just to help get the kinks out. On days off, such exercises may be done for longer periods of time or as part of a warm up before a more in-depth exercise workout.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 02-12-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Link not working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Banned

Hello.

I have some questions for Assistance/service dogs.
I know this is an Exercise thread.
Sorry if I go a bit off topic.

I have an aunt who would like to own a dog.

Predominantly for companionship.

I could Image ways it could help her. However the vital thing here is that the dog never puts her in danger.

She is not very mobile and although can walk independently she does not have good balance at all, and is brittle. Basically under no circumstance can the dog get into her feet or jump on her ever.

Is it possible or feasible to have a service dog that will never make a small mistake like this even once? Or is it just not practical?

So before looking into it further, would like to know if those expectations are even possible.

Thanks

Last edited by Lykoz; 02-12-2015 at 06:09 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Dogs just like people are not 100% reliable in their jobs. There is no guarantee that a dog would never jump on her. I had days where my mind wondered and so do dogs.

I think if you aunt wants a dog for either a trained companion (pet) or as a medical Assistance Dog she would be better with a toy breed. As to the small size for an Assistance Dog it would depend on the task the dog would be needed for.

If you are interested in discussing your aunt's situation more please go ahead and start a new thread, and we will see if we can come up with some type of a solution for her.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page