Q&A -- What is the responding difference between pet and SD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Q&A -- What is the responding difference between pet and SD?

Q. When I am having a panic attack I find it comforting to snuggle with my dog and she licks my face until it is over. Could this be counted as a task?

A. No, such behavior is a benefit of owning a dog for any owner when we become sad or upset.

It is the manner in which a dog responds to panic attacks that makes the difference between the actions of a loving pet and a task trained SD. Both pets and SDs can cuddle, lick and snuggle which is all part of being our companions.

A trained SD will know what to do such as bring meds or other needed items. They may go alert another member of the household. They may have been trained to retrieve a phone. They may lead you to an outside door if you begin to panic in a crowded store. They may have been trained to find a quiet area for you.

A loving companion is passive with a "hold your hand" type of approach while you are going through your attack while a trained responder does something active to try to keep your attack from escalating and also going into a work mode to bring it down to where you can again handle it.

The trained SD knows how to work in such a situation and react as a partner while a companion basically hangs in with you while waiting for all to be well again.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 12-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

Very well put!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Master Member

At first I thought SD meant "show dog" very informative! Well writen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Crowned Member

Ive heard of people talking about how their service dog is trained to lick the person's face or lay across a person during an anxiety attack. The reason being for example bring them out of it, "ground" the person or to or stop dissociation episodes. Would this be a task and how is this different from the licking/snuggling mentioned in the OP?

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Knighted Member

I wonder if the training to lay across them comes from the stuff Temple Grandin figured out with the squeeze shoot. Babies feel naturally more comfortable with swaddling - being wrapped snugly in a blanket so maybe the pressure from the dog laying on a person having a panic attack works the same way. I suffer from panic attacks but don't like to be held down, but maybe if I trained Raina to help me like that it might help. I know this isn't what the thread is about but it did bring the thought up. Of course pet dogs can lick and cuddle but like it has been said, trained assistance dogs do other stuff as well such as getting help or helping the person to a door.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
I wonder if the training to lay across them comes from the stuff Temple Grandin figured out with the squeeze shoot. Babies feel naturally more comfortable with swaddling - being wrapped snugly in a blanket so maybe the pressure from the dog laying on a person having a panic attack works the same way. I suffer from panic attacks but don't like to be held down, but maybe if I trained Raina to help me like that it might help. I know
this isn't what the thread is about but it did bring the thought up. Of course pet dogs can lick and cuddle but like it has been said, trained assistance dogs do other stuff as well such as getting help or helping the person to a door.
Wonderful person!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Master Member

I think the term for a dog helping with grounding is deep pressure therapy. Certain target points are used to help the person. In public, they would likely need to be led to a quiet place or out of the crowded area/store before any kind of DPT. Least that is my knowledge for those I have talked with about it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

So for a personal perspective, Kaiju does DPT for me and also grounds by licking my face, interrupts a compulsive self-destructive habit by licking my hands, and alerts to highly elevated stress/anxiety by nosing my hands.

After teaching him these, it's easy to see where they differ from normal pet cuddling/licking. It is still licking, but because it's a method of conveying information, Kaiju's been taught not to give up until I give him a certain word that lets him know I understand what he's alerting me to. So even if I push him away or yell at him, he'll keep doing it until I can convey that I understand. A normal pet would probably cower/turn away if they were pushed/yelled at, but Kaiju's been conditioned so that it just rolls off his back because his job isn't to comfort me, it's to make sure I know "hey, if you keep this up, you're going to have a panic attack."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

Pax, what is DPT? This is a wonderful thing Kaiju does, how long was her/his training, and which organization did Kaiju come from, or did you do the training? What else does Kaiji alert you to?
Sorry so many questions, its very interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
So for a personal perspective, Kaiju does DPT for me and also grounds by licking my face, interrupts a compulsive self-destructive habit by licking my hands, and alerts to highly elevated stress/anxiety by nosing my hands.

After teaching him these, it's easy to see where they differ from normal pet cuddling/licking. It is still licking, but because it's a method of conveying information, Kaiju's been taught not to give up until I give him a certain word that lets him know I understand what he's alerting me to. So even if I push him away or yell at him, he'll keep doing it until I can convey that I understand. A normal pet would probably cower/turn away if they were pushed/yelled at, but Kaiju's been conditioned so that it just rolls off his back because his job isn't to comfort me, it's to make sure I know "hey, if you keep this up, you're going to have a panic attack."

Enjoy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

Deep pressure therapy?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page