VA to resume study of PTSD Service Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

VA to resume study of PTSD Service Dogs

VA To Resume PTSD Service Dog Study - Forbes

Quote:
The Department of Veterans Affairs plans to restart a study evaluating the use of service dogs to assist veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
The study was suspended in August 2012, for the second time, when VA alleged that a vendor violated its contract and endangered the health of its dogs. At the time, according to my reporting for The Atlantic, VA had paired 17 veterans with service dogs. The goal of the study, which was mandated by Congress in 2009, was to serve as many as 200 veterans.
VA expected to resume the study in less than a year, following an investigation and changes to the study design.

In early November of this year, the agency indicated it was ready to revive the study when it published a request for market research from service dog organizations. Gina Jackson, a national VA spokeswoman, confirmed to me that the study will be restarted, with the first new dog pairings scheduled to take place as soon as May 2014.
The appeal, otherwise known as a “request for information,” indicates that VA is prepared to make significant changes to the study.

The contract for service dog providers, for instance, will be five years instead of three. One of the new stipulations requires dogs to meet standards set by Assistance Dogs International or the American Kennel Club. There are now strict rules prohibiting the non-profit provider from requesting financial support or donations from a veteran, a concern that had been raised in the study’s previous iteration.

The study will also include emotional support dogs in addition to service dogs. The former may have a therapeutic effect, but is not covered by the American Disabilities Act, which guarantees the right of a service dog owner to bring his or her animal into private or public facilities.
So there's alot more to the story you can read for yourself at the link I posted above ... my question is regarding this statement:

Quote:
One of the new stipulations requires dogs to meet standards set by Assistance Dogs International or the American Kennel Club.
Ok, WHAT?!?! The AKC 'standards' talk about what a specific breed should look like. From the little I have read on the ADI website they talk about the HOWS of service dogs.

How could those two organizations possibly have similar 'standards'. The new stipulation says " ... meet standards set by Assistance Dogs International OR the American Kennel Club.

So, in theory, I could use an English Bull Dog as a service dog even if it was dog and human aggressive because it meets the AKC standards.

Sounds like someone was NOT doing their research!! Why don't they have dog knowledgeable people making the rules??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Yeah, the AKC Standard bit jumped out at many. Seems like more incomplete reporting at work.

What was referred to by the VA was the new AKC Program The Companion Canine (CGCA) as part of their testing requirements instead of the older standard used by many - the CGC.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 AM

There is a fella working on a project for ptsd service dogs called Battle buddy while his dog is a GSD named Atlas I see lots of breeds represented in the pictures

Pack List
Hannah GSD
Odin Plott Coon, Bear, and Cat chasing maniac
Moon Plott Coon, Bear, and Cat Terrorist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page