How easy is it to "Register" a SD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

How easy is it to "Register" a SD?

Don't know how long it will stay up but to go along with the posts that I have already made about on-line "Service Dog Registries" ....

The owner of this horse does in fact have a SD but got into a discussion of how easy it is for people to fake having a SD. So the next time you read a newspaper article or hear on the news about a REGISTERED SD or someone flashing their OFFICIAL Service Dog ID -- please keep this in mind.

Her case in point was that it took her less than 5 min. to have her horse registered on-line as a Service Dog. Where it asked for breed she put in "Thoroughbred". She submitted a picture of her horse along with the required on-line application and received back further info on how to purchase official ID, patches and a certificate for her now registered SD.

You searched for OTTB Lov - Service Dog Registration Of America

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 10-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

The above shows the horse as being registered with the Service Dog Registration of America (SDRA).

This same horse was also registered with The United States Service Dog Registry (USSDR). The horse is Registry ID#: 1381293673. (Picture and info not shown at this time.)

USSDR Lookup

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 10-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Registry into an on-line SD registration does not make a SD. A successful SD comes from first picking a dog with the proper temperament, health and work ethic for the job and then a follow through of intense training and handling. Each step from Candidate to In-Training to working Service Dog must come with proper and honest evaluations.

The following series of events is an example of some of the concerns in the SD world. Each such final outcomes also can very well damage the status position of owner trained SDs.

Midland Woman Claims Business Asked Her To Leave Because of Service Dog 9/30/13
Matt Rist
CBS 7 News
[email protected]
September 30, 2013

"A Midland woman with disabilities says a shopping trip went terribly wrong when a store employee told her to leave because of her medically prescribed service dog. She feels she was a victim of discrimination. But the store says they threw her out because she was being confrontational."

There is a video included. Video shows an on-line registry patch on vest. Video also shows handler showing on-line registry ID.

CBS 7 - Your Eye on West Texas

A Service Dog, A Bite and a Denial 10/17/13
Matt Rist
CBS 7 News
[email protected]
October 17, 2013

"MIDLAND-CBS7 told you weeks ago about Misty Barton, who claimed she and her dog were wrongfully thrown out of a store.

Now the dog is under fire after he bit someone. Now CBS 7 is looking into just how well service dogs are trained."

Article picture shows an on-line registry patch on vest.

CBS 7 - Your Eye on West Texas

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 10-19-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Either this incidents are genuinely becoming more common , or the media is copping on to a good story line that they can expand on.

Like I have said in other posts , autism parents are hearing that there are no real requirements besides the child having a DX.. I know personally of a family who put a vest on their black lab who helps keep their son calm . Word gets around.

Sorry to hear this dog bit someone. It goes on national news , next thing you know people with genuinely trained SDs are scrutinized..then you can fully expect legislation to hit the scene.

I wonder why he bit the person he bit? 3 sides to every story. It does not say in the article why he bit , unless I missed it?

Alvin - GSD - born @ late February 2013
Bo - Boxer/Hound - born @ late June 2008
Greta - English Mastiff - born somewhere between 2003 and 2005 ,estimated.
ALL MY RESCUES!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM

How to 'Register' a Service Animal

1.) Get evaluated by a Medical Professional: Doctor or Psychiatrist

2.) If your DISABILITY falls perfectly in line with your City, County, State, & Countries standards of a Disabled Person as well as being recommended as a proper in-need candidate for a Service Animal, you will receive a letter head written statement from the medical professional. Not online registry. But a fully trained and highly qualified medical professional.

3.) Find a sound and wonderful dog. Find an amazing trainer (or in my case I'm doing it myself) and go get some local awards. (Canine Good Citizen, Public Access, etc.)

Without that letter, you can't even go into any public establishment legally, and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if the authorities find out that the 'certificate' was purchased online instead of at the Hospital directly.

Hopefully that helps I almost fell prey to the 'instant SD' online hype, but most people who cave into it are either not fully knowledgeable about the processes (it's very blurry) or don't care enough to legibly work, earn, and go through them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Knighted Member

Internet SD registries are nothing but a scam to take peoples money and make people think they have something they don't.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect on some of this. First, you must be legally disabled, not merely impaired. It's a matter of degree and the extent to which you are prevented from doing the ordinary things everyone must be able to do. Second, your dog must be individually trained to perform tasks that mitigate your disability. In other words, your dog has to be trained to do something you cannot do for yourself, but need to be able to do. For example, opening doors, picking up things from the ground, leading you to the door to get out if needed, and so on.

Certification or identification is not required in the US. However, a business does have a right to question a person entering their business with a dog. They may ask if the dog is required because of a disability and what the dog is trained to do. Further, if the dog behaves inappropriately and is considered disruptive to business because of this, or a threat to safety, then the dog may legally be removed. While a business cannot itself ask for proof, they can have you prosecuted for trespass if they think you are faking. In such a case, your defense would be to prove you are disabled and your dog is trained as a service dog.

To be more certain of your rights in your specific state, you would need to refer to the laws applicable in that state, and the laws in the counties and/or cities if applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageDogs View Post
How to 'Register' a Service Animal

1.) Get evaluated by a Medical Professional: Doctor or Psychiatrist

2.) If your DISABILITY falls perfectly in line with your City, County, State, & Countries standards of a Disabled Person as well as being recommended as a proper in-need candidate for a Service Animal, you will receive a letter head written statement from the medical professional. Not online registry. But a fully trained and highly qualified medical professional.

3.) Find a sound and wonderful dog. Find an amazing trainer (or in my case I'm doing it myself) and go get some local awards. (Canine Good Citizen, Public Access, etc.)

Without that letter, you can't even go into any public establishment legally, and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if the authorities find out that the 'certificate' was purchased online instead of at the Hospital directly.

Hopefully that helps I almost fell prey to the 'instant SD' online hype, but most people who cave into it are either not fully knowledgeable about the processes (it's very blurry) or don't care enough to legibly work, earn, and go through them.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWacky View Post
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect on some of this. First, you must be legally disabled, not merely impaired. It's a matter of degree and the extent to which you are prevented from doing the ordinary things everyone must be able to do. Second, your dog must be individually trained to perform tasks that mitigate your disability. In other words, your dog has to be trained to do something you cannot do for yourself, but need to be able to do. For example, opening doors, picking up things from the ground, leading you to the door to get out if needed, and so on.

Certification or identification is not required in the US. However, a business does have a right to question a person entering their business with a dog. They may ask if the dog is required because of a disability and what the dog is trained to do. Further, if the dog behaves inappropriately and is considered disruptive to business because of this, or a threat to safety, then the dog may legally be removed. While a business cannot itself ask for proof, they can have you prosecuted for trespass if they think you are faking. In such a case, your defense would be to prove you are disabled and your dog is trained as a service dog.

To be more certain of your rights in your specific state, you would need to refer to the laws applicable in that state, and the laws in the counties and/or cities if applicable.
Of course. I totally didn't realize you were the Americans for Disabilities Act Advisor I spoke to before getting my own SD.

Thank you for reading my post thoroughly before rephrasing it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageDogs View Post
Of course. I totally didn't realize you were the Americans for Disabilities Act Advisor I spoke to before getting my own SD.

Thank you for reading my post thoroughly before rephrasing it.
I have to say...a letter, even on letter head, isn't a proper legal document that the police or prosecutors would care about. IF they wanted to prosecute a person, they'd ask for the doctor, or another medical professional, to verify the disability based on past medical records. ADA would NEVER require someone to carry around extra paperwork or anything else that would make them different from people without disabilities. That's the whole point of the ADA...make sure that people with disabilities are treated equally under the law.

It's just as easy for me to write up a letter on fake letter head and give it a good ol' doctor's signature and carry that around. The point of OP's post is just that...people that don't know the true rules, do extra things that are completely unnecessary.

Truth is...unless your dog is disruptive or truly misbehaving and clearly not a service dog, the likelihood of anyone saying something is very small. On top of that, to actually call the police is even smaller, and if they knew any better its a bigger risk to call the police and harass a true team...than to just allow a possibly fake dog and handler to do what they're doing.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Off original discussion topic but important fact to clarify ...

In the U.S., to own a Service Dog a letter or other documentation from your doctor is not required by Federal Law. For Public Access Rights under the Dept. of Justice you do not need to have or carry documentation from your doctor.

Most Service Dog organizations will require documentation from your doctor as part of their application process.

Rental Housing - Type of housing impacts which law unit falls under but in general a landlord may require documentation of individual's disability.

Employment - Title I of the ADA, Federal Regulatory Agency is the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Employee request to use a Service Dog - Employer may require documentation of individual's disability .

Judicial System - Access dispute or other legal issue - A judge may ask for documentation of individual's disability.

Travel on U.S. Airline - Federal Regulatory Agency is the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
Under the Amended Air Carrier Access Act on flying with a Psychiatric Service Dog (PSD).

Quote from Department of Transportation Office of Aviation Enforcement:
... A carrier may only require that a passenger’s documentation confirm that a passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders- Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), in addition to three other items (i.e., the passenger needs the animal for air travel and/or activity at the passenger’s destination, the individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional and that passenger is under his/her care, the date and type of mental health professional’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued).

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 11-01-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page