Two dog sightings. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Two dog sightings.

We went to Costco today and saw a young lab in training to be a service dog. The dog was accompanied by a pair of handlers, was in harness and had a vest with patches. It stayed in a heel and was attentive to the trainers. It was a pleasure to watch it work.

Next we went to our local market. In the produce section, I saw a leashed dog bumbling around next to a woman. The dog was not wearing any vest or patch.
I spoke to the butcher--who is terrified of dogs--and asked him about the dog. He grimaced and said that the dog has peed inside the store. The owner claims that it is an emotional support animal and she needs it for her anxiety. The dog does not perform any tasks.

My husband was livid so I tried to avoid the lady and her dog while we shopped. When we came to the check out, the clerk looked at me and asked me--I thought as a joke--if I'd brought my dog. I said. "NO! I would never bring my dogs into a grocery store. People who pass off pets as service dogs infuriate me." I turned around to check on a price and nearly stepped on the dog's paw. The woman and her dog were in the next checkout! The dog was wandering around at the end of its leash while the lady paid. She picked up the dog and left, she didn't notice that her dog nearly tripped me or that I almost smashed its paw.

Our check out clerk confirmed that the dog has peed in the store and that the owner claims that an emotional support dog is the same as a service
dog. I don't want to argue legalities. It seems very simple that a dog who is not housebroken should not be representing service or support animals in public food markets.

The difference between the Costco lab and the market poodle was very clear. The lab was focused and the handlers were engaged. The market poodle was on an outing and the owner was oblivious. The poodle may well be an emotional support animal but I don't want it sniffing the cheeses and piddling on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Crowned Member

Can the store ask that she put a diaper on the dog before entering? I'm not sure what the law is on denying them access.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

you can purchase, vest`s badges and even paper work off the net to be a "service dog", the feds need to crack down on this, I was at the local hospital with Max, in walked a gal with a little, i dont know what it was dog, lunging and barking at Max, the dog had a vest on, I ask the gal what the deal was, she said it was a "service dog" and "was there to make people happy"

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not have the same rights to public access.
Even a service dog not housebroken can be asked to leave.

People who abuse the rights of disabled people to have a service dog should be publicly humiliated. Just my humble opinion.

ADA Training Requirements
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not have the same rights to public access.
Even a service dog not housebroken can be asked to leave.

People who abuse the rights of disabled people to have a service dog should be publicly humiliated. Just my humble opinion.

ADA Training Requirements
^ This. Blehmannwa, you might want to mention that the next time you're at your local market.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I actually did tell the clerk that an emotional support animal is not the same as a service dog and he was going to talk to management about this distinction. People who take advantage of disability law and pass off poorly trained unhousebroken dogs really make me furious.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

agree with all except Nigel --

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 PM

I thought a service dog had to be clearly marked (vest, badge, collar, ect) as a service animal, otherwise it could be denied entrance as a pet?

I had a friend who fostered? trained? started? (can't remember) pups for a service company (I think she had them till 6 months or so and then they went to the official training center, something like that, its been a long time) and we'd take them out to as many places possible to socialize them. They ALWAYS had to wear a vest. The one time we forgot we weren't allowed in anywhere, even though it was a small town, all the shop owners knew us and knew what she did (most knew that particular pup as well since we'd already been there.) They said that they could get in trouble for allowing a "pet" in, since he wasn't marked as a service animal.

That was years ago so maybe things have changed?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 PM

I work in a grocery store and we have this same issue. Although the law is federal...the only thing our company permits us to do is to approach the customer and simply ask them "excuse me, is that a service dog". If they say yes...that's the end of it. No proof of any kind is required. If they say no, we are supposed to discretely find a store manager and let them know for them to handle. Nine times out of ten, the dog remains in the store.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

Staff may ask two questions:
(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and
(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

per... Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

No vest or harness is required. One may not ask for a task to be demonstrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page