Where to heel with a power chair???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Where to heel with a power chair????

I am about to introduce my GSD to a power chair. Where should I get her to walk? Beside, or slightly behind so she can avoid conflict with the chair. She is pretty well trained on loose leash walking and did fairly well with my manual chair, but the power chair will enable me to take her on longer and more interesting walks in and around our property and in the neighborhood. I just don't want her to get her toes run over and become afraid of the chair. I also have long 30 and 50 foot leads that I can use to allow some wandering on unstructured adventure walks. I have really bad COPD and get out of breath quickly and easily, so I am hoping to be able to extend our walks enough to really help tire her out and keep her well stimulated with different sights, sounds, and smells. Does this all sound about right? Suggestions?

Wheelchair Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
I do directly beside. In the same positioning to me as the dog would be walking (not sure if you walk at all.) In my experience heeling next to a power chair or scooter is much easier than heeling next to a manual, where slight positioning differences can affect with pushing your chair, such as leash getting in the way or bumping the dog or dogs harness with your hand during the push stroke. In the manual chair Tessa is directly beside me when heeling, and a little bit further forward if she's pulling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

wheel chairs, power chairs. there's pop-up directly about your thread about
mobility vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page