Our Prospect ;) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Our Prospect ;)

We're training a 4 month old GSD in home , under supervision of a service dog trainer . We *hope* in 6 months or so he cuts the mustard to be SDIT. Our 5 year old son has autism. The pup has a lot of potential and she(trainer) likes what she sees so far , but they go through many stages. We are just keeping fingers crossed. There is a 2 year wait list for any local agencies..acquiring a certified ready to work dog from a private outfit is a "minimum" of 15K .

My 5 year old son is a eloping risk ..not a bolting risk. Big difference. I do not agree with using a large dog as an anchor for a child that bolts..if my son was a "dash with all your might risk" , I would tether him top me before I subjected a dog to that...but , GSDs can do a good job at alerting at a child who is wandering. And herding around them until I respond to their alert. My son is a slow sneak away.

I have 3 kids 6 , 5 , 2. Even with typical kids it is hard to go someplace with all 3 that age and watch them constantly. Add to that a boy who tries with all his might to silently slip away and explore the minute you are digging in a bag for a sippy for another kid..you get the idea.

We have a Mastiff that my son loves. He can be full on meltdown ( which , people who have kids with autism know a meltdown is different than a tantrum) and when Greta the Mastiff walks in on the commotion to see what is up he goes over and hugs her and calms down. He is never aggressive towards animals or his little brother. The Mastiff gives him a level of comfort that is sometimes achievable by me , but few others. She is the reason we started thinking service dog.

We are hoping if he makes candidate he will learn to alert if my son is sneaking away, circle our son while alerting , scent work , nudge him to redirect , and provide comfort and companionship. If he does not make candidate , well..we will have a well trained dog we love .

What else can you do when you don't have 2 years to wait or 30,000 bucks for a dog? You try your best with a well known experienced service dog trainer , follow all the instructions and lessons , and you keep an open mind and realize he may only make pet grade. You have to be willing to be happy with that , and we are.

I have had 4 German Shepherds in my 43 years..we home trained all 4 and did CGC with them. 3 of them I trained myself ( I was 14 when we got our 2nd GSD) My Jack Russel..she was the first dog that made me seek professional help lol . We trained with her for 2 years , did some fun agility . So , I have experience rearing pups and doing structured training with passing CGC in mind. We'll be working very closely with the trainer . We 'll be doing private lessons , Puppy Kindergarten , Intermediate , CGC..then we'll see if he makes it into SDIT.

Wish us luck , any advice/constructive criticism is welcome.

Right now we are doing basic obedience and it is going great. We are also doing hide and seek. My son hides with a treat and I go with the pup to "find him" . He loves it , my son loves it. Again , fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

just please please do extensive research on the service dog trainer.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Sounds like you have very realistic expectations and are headed in the right direction!

I have no experience in training or working with Service Dogs and the only advice I can think of is to socialize and expose your puppy to every blessed thing under the sun.

Do you mind me asking where you got the puppy from and how you came about choosing him? Other than that, just let your pup be a puppy, set him up for success to build his confidence, make him feel like he is the best pup in the whole world and cannot do wrong, and enjoy him.

PS: Puppy pictures are always great!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylaw203 View Post
just please please do extensive research on the service dog trainer.
Yes , indeed We did that before we considered acquiring or using one of our own dogs. No sense in trying unless a good experienced trainer was willing and available.She has a great reputation and is well known .

Castlemaid - He is a rescue GSD.The rescue has known me and my family and our history with GSDs since the 70's They knew we were researching SDs and their temperament evaluator felt he was sound . Not a guarantee of course , but a decent start. We did have a friend who is a top breeder of Cane Corsos offer us one of his 18 month olds who had already gone through evals and was ready to go into higher training. Being a responsible breeder he has a lifetime return policy and an 18 month old he had sold had to come back due to a divorce. He was perfect in every way , the only problem was a wet mouth. Can't have a dog that drools a little in a lot of environments like restaurants and such. My Mastiff Greta is a drool factory so it would not have bothered us..but as most in this section would know a service dog has to be very clean at all times.

Longer story short , my rescue friends kept their ear to the ground and thought our new pup was a good one

It is a gamble..we're taking it with the knowledge that we would welcome and love him even if he does not make candidate. My son already adores him .

So far so good though. Todaty we did 4 5 minute sessions and he learned stay and come!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Oh , and pictures I only have a few from the day we all went and initially evaluated him. I photographed a wedding , my camera is full with the shots. More soon though

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
What's his name?

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

nice looking pup. good luck in your training. i think it's going to be easy
for you to achieve your training goals.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you

His name is Alvin!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck with your training! You might want a different alert than circling if you are going to have him accompanying you out in public. A dog circling around and around someone while on a leash will end up tying up whoever he's circling.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Be sure to expose your pup to as many experiences as possible and try to make them positive. Fiona is my SD. I went the same route you are going. I have a trainer who is working with me. Be sure to keep up in training. My disability causes me to miss some training and Fiona likes to test me sometimes.

Try and think of everywhere your son might go in the next ten years and start exposing puppy to those situations.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page