What is an Assistance / Service Dog Candidate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

What is an Assistance / Service Dog Candidate?

In many of our threads there is the term Assistance Dog Candidate or Service Dog Candidate used.

Is this term a legal one? Not really, but it is being used more often in discussions by many including the organization project that I am involved with.

Just what is a Candidate? In the most simple of definitions it is either a pup that is too young or a dog at too low a training level to be called an Assistance or Service Dog In Training.

While an 8-10 week old puppy sporting a cape is adorable looking for the sake of a picture there is no training reason to do so. It is like putting a firefighters outfit on a young child. Mom and Dad love the picture but does that helmet and boots really tell everyone that the child is in the beginning stages of their firefighting career?

Now there are a few exceptions to the above - but those usually only come from a limited group. That group I would say 99.99% are Guide Dog Puppy Raisers who do their training differently and normally make use via agreements (thus the use of their puppy capes) with local businesses.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

This is from an ADAP site (ADAP is based on U.S. law for U.S. advocacy and education):

What is a Candidate?

Assistance/Service Dog Candidates
Approximate age – puppy through 12/14 months of age

Puppy and Beginning Obedience training should be completed during this time.
Solid housebreaking and basic manners in the home and to pet-friendly locations are part of candidate training.
The candidate should continue ongoing health checks and getting age appropriate vet work.
Any normal fear imprint stages will be during this time.
Evaluations on the suitability of the dog for working should continue.

A dog being trained as an Assistance/Service Dog is not a rehab project. If a dog shows people or dog aggression or shows shyness or fear when around people acting in a normal manner then the dog should not be elevated from the candidate level.

Until they are fully housebroken, walk nicely on a leash, and show good public manners they should only be going as pets to places where pets are welcomed. It is very important that the candidate not be allowed to form bad habits out in the community at this time.

A candidate should not be dressed in a SDIT cape, wear SDIT patches, nor claimed as a SDIT until ready to be passed up to the SDIT level. Any dog before going out into the public as a SDIT should be able to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluation.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
This is from an ADAP site (ADAP is based on U.S. law for U.S. advocacy and education):

What is a Candidate?

Assistance/Service Dog Candidates
Approximate age – puppy through 12/14 months of age

Puppy and Beginning Obedience training should be completed during this time.
Solid housebreaking and basic manners in the home and to pet-friendly locations are part of candidate training.
The candidate should continue ongoing health checks and getting age appropriate vet work.
Any normal fear imprint stages will be during this time.
Evaluations on the suitability of the dog for working should continue.

A dog being trained as an Assistance/Service Dog is not a rehab project. If a dog shows people or dog aggression or shows shyness or fear when around people acting in a normal manner then the dog should not be elevated from the candidate level.

Until they are fully housebroken, walk nicely on a leash, and show good public manners they should only be going as pets to places where pets are welcomed. It is very important that the candidate not be allowed to form bad habits out in the community at this time.

A candidate should not be dressed in a SDIT cape, wear SDIT patches, nor claimed as a SDIT until ready to be passed up to the SDIT level. Any dog before going out into the public as a SDIT should be able to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluation.
I wish some people in my area would read this.

Recently there has been a man and a woman in their 20's putting a service dog vest on a black Lab mix and taking it into grocery stores. The dog always looks scared and walks with it's tail between it's legs. It does not look like a good candidate for a SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

agree with the above .

usually dogs going in for Service Dog work will be taken in when a certifying agency contacts a provider / breeder with experience , who handpicks a pup that ticks all the boxes of requirements. That dog then may be either taken in by the organization who has experienced raisers who follow guidelines to raise and develop the dog , monitored on a regular basis so that time on an unsuitable candidate is not wasted , until the dog is ready to bring in to the training - certifying agency. There again it is tested . Training and response now becomes customized according to what the dog's purpose will be . Anywhere along the line the dog can be removed from consideration or training changed for another role.
It is at this time that the dog wears the "vest" or identification which allows the dog entry into public areas . The agency is responsible and has to answer to any complaints . (saw dog in training lift leg on grocery shelf)

You don't have the person needing the dog do his/her own training , for many reasons .
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pressure.html

Carmen

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

You don't have the person needing the dog do his/her own training , for many reasons . ...

I have to disagree with this part of your post as I know some very fine SDs that have been owner trained. But, that saying -- these owners have experience working and training working dogs or are under the guidance of experienced trainers.

I myself hope to get a new pup next year for my "list" which not only include activities in a non-profit organization, as a Certified Therapy Dog, K-9 Team for demos and presentations, and also to be used as an In-home Assistance Dog by myself. If I myself am up to the task I would also like to become involved in competition Obedience and Rally.

I have an experienced and knowledgeable working dog breeder picking the Candidate out for me as I feel that area is best done by a professional expert but the training will be done by myself with progress evaluations done by professional trainers.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

these owners have experience working and training working dogs or are under the guidance of experienced trainers.
Ilghaus that is a different kettle of fish.

Carmen

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM

I feel like there are a majority of people who feel they can train their own service dog, but really don't need to be. I am sure most people training their own dog do not know or realize the amount of assessment a dog needs to pass before being considered a service dog. I like the direction ILGHAUS is heading as far as getting help in picking a candidate for her and then training it from there with regular check-ins with trainers.

I was looking at the same approach recently to help my husband train his next SD. I found a neat program that the Arkansas Department of Corrections started about a year ago where inmates train shelter dogs for AKC CGC standards. I felt there professional trainers who work with the inmates would be able to get me 1/2 way through what I was needing to do for "my standards" of a working SD and I could document all training and public access work before stating his dog was fully trained. One of their professional trainers just recently received qualifications to train SD, so she and the inmates will fully train my husband's next SD.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM

We are training our own Autism Service Dog with the help from someone who work for and certifies dogs at BC/Alberta Guide Dogs does this still apply to me I feel offended sometimes on this forum so I no longer ask questions when it comes to SD training questions because everyone seems to judge me and say "I cant do it because I am not a professional" but I have help from a professional and he will be going for his CCGCT in the fall

It's not "impossible" to train your own service dog but people on this forum will make you feel like it is and make you feel horrible about even trying which is upsetting as I came here for help not to be discriminated against.

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 10:36 PM
x11
Banned

you answered yr own question, it makes a great pic.

cashing in on someone with a real disability is as low as stealing a hand bag form an old lady imo.

seems an emerging trend home school yr own SD for a disabiltity that isn't even diagnosed, disgusting for whoever that scenario applies to.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM

We are training him to be an Autism Service Dog for our daughter who has Autism and was recently diagnosed I am not sure if this comment was directed at me but Autism is not "fake" disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
you answered yr own question, it makes a great pic.

cashing in on someone with a real disability is as low as stealing a hand bag form an old lady imo.

seems an emerging trend home school yr own SD for a disabiltity that isn't even diagnosed, disgusting for whoever that scenario applies to.

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page