Argos the Aspergers SDIT - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Argos the Aspergers SDIT

A few pictures of Argos wit our little one tracing him sit stay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Talking First outing as a working service dog GREAT JOB!

So we took the kids to toys r us yesterday inside the big mall and Argos did great for his first time and only being 13 weeks old . He patiently waited for them in a down stay while they picked out a boat to bring to the river.

A kid came running up to him and he just maintained his down stay I was so proud of him. Then we quickly went inside the mall to get ice cream for the kids and Argos did very well in there as well ignoring all the people pointing and talking about how cute he was.

As a reward for his good job we took him down to the dog park for a run in the river so he could play with the kids he will make a great SD im sure we look forward to bringing him with us Monday for a short appointment at the children's hospital.

It just boggles my mind how smart these dogs are I will make sure to take pictures and video of our next outing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, your Agros was born to be a service dog. Great job!

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

well that is the passive part , just being able to be normal in public ---- the "working" service part requires a great deal more , and training, and proofing .

Carmen

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes a great deal more of work but he did will for his first day out and in the house has redirected my daughters attention as she was spiraling into a meltdown because her clothes were too tight he did so by applying pressure to her leg making her forget about her clothes and focus on petting him which was an "ahhh" moment for us because her meltdowns can sometimes last a few hours.

I totally understand he is just in the "training" stage and will be there for at least another 1 - 2 years but it already has made such a difference in such a small amount of time I cannot express my gratitude for his presence in our house as a family member, friend and service animal he is a miracle worker and I hope to catch him in the action of calming her whenever it may happen so others can see what a difference he makes in her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
well that is the passive part , just being able to be normal in public ---- the "working" service part requires a great deal more , and training, and proofing .

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Master Member

Glad the training is going so well! My cousin's son is autistic and their service dog has helped him so much. It is amazing how well dogs can "read" a situation and fantastic that he is already reacting appropriately.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
I'm glad things went well, but at that age he isn't a service dog, and isn't yet a service dog in training. He would be considered a service dog candidate. I'm not familiar with the specific laws for your area, here service dog candidates don't go into public where pet dogs are not allowed.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight Lin I always love reading what you have to say as far as I know as long as he is well behaved and serving a purpose and has his vest on he is aloud to accompany her anywhere we go although he cannot be certified through the ADI so if I am asked to leave I would have to leave without a fuss because e is not trained through the organization but if that shall happen I am not too worried he will still be an awesome family dog and be able to help her at home at least so no matter what becomes of him service animal or just family companion he will be loved none the less and we will be proud of him either way

Thanks again Lin you are probably one of the few people I look up to on this Forum and I truly appreciate all you say and offer to the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
I'm glad things went well, but at that age he isn't a service dog, and isn't yet a service dog in training. He would be considered a service dog candidate. I'm not familiar with the specific laws for your area, here service dog candidates don't go into public where pet dogs are not allowed.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Knighted Member

I'm glad your dog is being well behaved. Many puppies would jump up to the the toy your daughter is holding above her head.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Elite Member

Love him!

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page