Anyone can have a service dog ad.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Anyone can have a service dog ad....

Per copyright law ... information for educational purpose with proper link or credit to copyright owner may be less than 10% or the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole of printed article unless permission is given by copyright owner to copy in full. ~ Mod
To learn more you can go to The Doctrine of Fair Use, Section 107 published by the U.S. Copyright Office.

I just saw this ad an the side of my facebook.... pretty much "take your dog anywhere! No more harrassment taking your dog in restaurants! Go everywhere with your dog!"... I had to click on it... They are pretty much soliciting anyone and everyone to sign up for their service, and be allowed to take your dog everywhere.. it says free, but I wasn't about to fill out the app... bet you pay somewhere, advertising isn't free... and this isn't legit....
This is the website: Service Dog Registration Of America:Non-Profit Organization

This is the FAQs 1. How do I register my Service Dog and get my ID Tags?top
Very simple. You simply fill out the short form here with some of your information and some of your dogs information and your dog will immediately be registered. You will then be taken to the next page where you can order your ID cards which will be sent to you via USPS and you will receive a tracking number.

How are they getting away with this What a slap in the face to real service animals

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.
- Edward Everett Hale

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 04-20-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Keeping within copyright law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:30 AM

I saw the same web site not too long ago. It seems to work on the honor system. Not cool
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

The "honor system" is the only legal system and unfortunately it is a loophole that is exploited by many. I do not know who they are but this is fallout from the way the law it. Don't get me wrong I am not supporting or defending them I do not know them so I cannot say for sure what their true intention is.

IMO mandatory realistic certification is the only way to close the door on the illegitimate incidents.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Banned

The way the law is written...anyone pretty much can walk into a store with a "service dog." There are very exact questions the store is allowed to ask you about the dog and if they ask the wrong question it could be considered discrimination according to the ADA and you can scream bloody murder. I know some people with disabilities and service dogs carry around an ADA handbook and will show a questioning employee their rights. At the end of the day, if you make a big enough squack and threaten legal action they'll probably leave you alone and let you do what ever you want (as long as you have a well behaved dog). If you are falsly claiming your dog as a service dog, and the dog does something bad, you'll be just as liable for injuries if your dog was a service dog.

SFGSSD is correct...the only way to "close" the loophole is mandatory certification. But that will never happen, mostly because it will be a huge obstacle for handler trained SDs and also for the huge variety of service dogs and disabilities there are. Plus...I really don't want my tax dollars going towards a service dog certification program...the current system works, while its abused by some, it probably helps a lot more than it gets abused.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Knighted Member

8. ...but it’s also a crime to impersonate a service dog so don’t do it.

Boy, was I was happy to read that - I was thinking this was some scam to register pets as Service Dogs. Phew!

post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Please see this recent thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-registry.html

Unfortunately there are many of these sites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Please see this recent thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-registry.html

Unfortunately there are many of these sites.
And unfortunately many people lie and break the law when it comes to Service Dogs. The humor in this is that the ones that are doing nothing wrong get blamed for the illegal activities of others.

post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
This is why I, a person with a legit service dog, will confront a person with a fake service dog. But I guess most people in my situation would do so.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
This is why I, a person with a legit service dog, will confront a person with a fake service dog. But I guess most people in my situation would do so.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know someone has a fake service dog?
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you know someone has a fake service dog?
That is the real problem. With the way the law is written even with the challenge questions it is tough to know for sure. This is why I feel certification should be manditory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page