Mother in laws dog hates new GS puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mother in laws dog hates new GS puppy

We got Argos about a week ago and my mother in law lives with us and has a small mutt dog "not sure what kind" who had a rough puppy experience growing up... He would often play with my sister in laws dog who was way... to rough with him and would grab him by the scruff to play and bite, shake etc... this ended up making my mother in laws dog very unstable and scared as soon as any dog, cat, person came near his neck.

So Argos is only 9 weeks old and puppies will be puppies he wants to play and well my mother in laws dog who lives with us never learned how to do that properly so evertime Argos goes to play with my mother in laws dog "Taz" he jumps and barks and bites at his neck to "play" but "Taz" freaks out turns around really fast growls and tries to bite Argos in the face and it doesn't look like he is just "playing" he looks serious and I am afraid Taz will hurt Argos by biting him in the face and the last thing I need is for Argos to be afraid of dogs or to end up needing stiches because Taz bit him.

So I have asked that my mother in law keep Taz away from Argos until Argos calms down a little out of puppy hood so he doesn't get hurt but my mother in law doesn't understand my concerns and says they will just "fight it out" but I don't want Argos to get hurt or be scared especially since he may be training to be a service dog for our daughter. So he cannot be scared of anything especially other dogs.

We take Argos to the dog park and pet store at least 2 - 3 times a week and are trying to make sure we socialize him properly with the well balanced dogs as much as possible as well as all kinds of people of course

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix or control this issue I am almost to the point of putting a muzzle on Taz so he can play with the pup without hurting him. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Whose house is it?

First, if it's your MIL's house, then you need to make sure Argos is not loose with Taz. If they are loose, do not let Argos "play" with Taz. He's a fearful dog.

If it's your house, tell your MIL the rules and that's that. He is a potential service dog for your daughter. There can't be any "fighting it out"

Get crates and rotate the dogs. Teach Argos to be gentle with Taz.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think separating them is a good idea, only because eventually they will have to be together or you will spending lots of time rotating them. The older dog will correct the puppy, when the puppy figures out he's being corrected he will back off. For now you should supervise them to make sure no one is getting hurt, take them for walks together, do some obedience together, etc. This way they are doing good things together. It can work. You don't want the GSD to eat the little dog when he gets older and bigger.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

It is our house and we have told her pretty much exactly what Jax08 said if he is going to be a service dog they cannot just "work it out" her dog Taz is just a pet and she doesn't quite understand that I do not want Argos who will be over 100+ pounds full grown to have any sort of aggression or fear she just tells us well "I guess I better just put Taz to sleep then" She gets very upset when we try to explain things to her often leaving her to slam doors around and cuss which is very stressful for us and for the dogs. All in all Taz is a good companion dog for her anyway but he is has way too much anxiety for me and is very neurotic/ scared/ fearful etc... I am trying to explain nicely to my MIL how things need to be handled but she doesn't quite understand. I think another part of it might be jealousy as she is legally blind and doesn't understand why my daughter who has a form of Autism needs a service dog if she doesn't need one and is legally blind. I will keep reading all your suggestions we have taken them to the dog park together they seem to be ok there because Taz then and goes and does his own thing "chases the ball" while Argos just sits there by my daughter waiting for other dogs and people to come up to him lol he hasn't quite figured the dog park out yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

I would have a serious talk with your spouse on what to do with the MIL. She sounds manipulative and is sabotaging the situation with your daughter. Blind or not, as long as she has all her marbles she should be respectful to you and thankful for your support. It is not all about her.
Muzzling her dog won't fix the issue. I would keep them separated so your dog won't develop bad habits towards Taz that will distract from his training and future job.
Wishing you all the strength you need.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curedba View Post
All in all Taz is a good companion dog for her anyway but he is has way too much anxiety for me and is very neurotic/ scared/ fearful etc...

Ok...from experience....you need to keep Argos away from Taz. When one is out, the other is either in a room or in a crate. Only supervised, on leash, interaction until Argos is old enough to understand that Taz does not like rough play.

We have one dog who is anxious/neurotic/scared/fearful...and one dog will learn from the other and will also learn to be reactive when they constantly have to defend themselves against the other. This is not a case of the older dog fairly correcting the puppy...it's a case of the older dog attacking the puppy.

I don't know how you explain this to your MIL. Good luck with that. My MIL isn't allowed in my house so I certainly can't give you advise on THAT relationship!

And be careful at dog parks...there are alot of horror stories of ill mannered dogs with not so sharp owners.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My MIL isn't allowed in my house so I certainly can't give you advise on THAT relationship!
Sounds like the best advice so far. You cannot let people walk all over you, ruining your and your family's inner peace, MIL or not. That stress has a negative influence on everybody, incl. the dogs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Welcome to the world of crate and rotate.

These animals shouldn't be interacting at all, and your mother in law needs to get it through her head

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Knighted Member

Sometimes it takes time for animals to get along. It would realy help if you kept the pup from annoying the older dog. Apache & Lakota never really bonded. For the longest time it was a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship. I think it was about a year before he actually played with her. On the other hand the dog I thought I was going to have a problem with became best buddies instantly.
Give it more time and keep the puppy from getting into trouble.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Knighted Member

I think the dog park and pet stores might be something to put off until your puppy's had all his shots. Those places can be dangerous for puppies, germ-wise and parasites too. I took my puppy to hardware stores at that age, those are good place to socialize. As far as your MIL, I feel sorry for the lady and it sounds like she feels sorry for herself too, saying she'll have to PTS her dog because it's too much trouble. Whoa. Can't you put up baby gates or something to keep them apart? Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page