Therapy Dogs and Raw Feeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Therapy Dogs and Raw Feeding?

I believe it's Therapy Dogs International that states they do not allow raw fed dogs to be certified through their agency.

Does anyone know if any of the others - Therapy Dogs, Inc. , Love on a Leash, Delta, etc. - have them same 'requirements'?

I will be contacting them all to find out about what vaccinations are required and if they accept titers (except for Rabies) sO I can ask them about the food at the same time but I wanted some first hand info (from those with dogs certified with an orginization).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

I want to know how they know they are fed raw unless they are told? It really should not affect allowing a dog to do therapy work

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM

Delta (now Pet Partners) does NOT allow raw anymore.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 03-06-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

TDI:
Therapy Dogs International
Quote:
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION WITH TDI

ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP

You and your dog must pass the TDI EVALUATION FOR SUITABILITY TO BECOME A POTENTIAL THERAPY DOG/HANDLER TEAM. For more information on the Test Requirements, please view our Testing Requirements page.
HEALTH REQUIREMENTS

All TDI Therapy Dogs are required to meet the following health requirements before being registered:

1) Annual Check-up attested to by your Veterinarian within the past year.

2) Mandatory Rabies Vaccine (1, 2, OR 3 YEAR - MUST BE GIVEN BY A VETERINARIAN)

3) An initial series of core Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus Vaccinations.

4) A negative Fecal Exam must have been done within the past year.

5) A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past year if the dog is not on a continuous heartworm preventative medication. A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past two years if the dog is on a continuous heartworm preventative medication.
I don't know if it's changed but my vet and I had to fill out a form, he had to sign it. One question was would you like this dog to visit you kind of thing, if you were unwell. Cute. Would've been funny if he'd said no. I don't normally run fecals because my dogs are on year round HW meds. These things can be tax deductible depending...

It is not TDI with that policy, unless they've changed, but like TJ said, Delta.
https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...ssistance-dogs

Raw Protein Diet Policy - Pet Partners

llombardo, when you do therapy work, you are entering into an understanding/agreement with the company that holds your insurance, and the place/s that you visit, that you are following the guidelines set forth so while sure, you could feed raw and not tell, you are not keeping your word.

My dogs used to visit at a hospital and their infection control person and I met and she had a detailed contract in addition to everything else - including volunteer training, MMR titering for ME, pee test, TB test, that I had to go through, to help prevent disease from spreading, and to cover everyone's hinders in the event that someone got sick and their relative saw a cha-ching opportunity that the dog brought something in on them.

We had a great experience there and a lot of nice successes for the dogs, doing things that no one else could have done, for patients and staff. But it was not a place or activity where there was a lot of leeway, which was fine.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

I volunteered with the local humane society with their visitation program. The dogs had to pass both physical and temperament requirements then they were registered as a TD under the program

One of the requirements was no RAW fed dogs due to health concerns as 99% of the people we visited were elderly or ill and therefore had compromised immune systems. We had to sign and initial forms for insurance purposes requiring proof of current vaccinations as well. Though they didn't require heartworm

I'm not saying I agree with it but it was a requirement. I feed kibble so it wasn't a concern for me

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Therapy Dogs and Raw Feeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I believe it's Therapy Dogs International that states they do not allow raw fed dogs to be certified through their agency.

Thanks!
This is False, that is Delta (now Pet Partners). TDI DOES NOT have a restriction on a raw diet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Crowned Member

This is TDInc's policy on raw diets. Also I believe they allow vaccinations or titers.

Quote:
TDInc. statement regarding Raw Food Diet

Due to the volume of questions concerning the feeding of a raw diet, the TDInc. Board of Directors has prepared the following statement: Therapy Dogs Inc. does not restrict the choices that members make regarding what is fed to their canine team partners. Therapy Dogs Inc. does require that participating dogs be clean and well groomed, have trimmed/filed nails, clean teeth, be free of internal and external parasites, have an annual veterinary health exam, including proof of a negative fecal exam and current rabies vaccination. Dogs must also be in compliance with state and local laws regarding, but not limited to, vaccinations and licensing. We also recommend that our handlers follow the advice of their veterinarians in regard to the general health of their companions.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

I volunteer with the Saint John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program and visit an elderly care home with my long hair GSD every weekend. There was no dietary restrictions with us and my dogs are on a BARF diet. My dog did have to be evaluated and cleared by my vet, I had to be cleared by my doc, and we went through orientation and evaluation for temperament as well. But nothing on diet.

I don't quite understand the medical/scientific reasoning behind a dog on a raw diet being more likely to spread illness than one who's not on a raw diet? Anyone have any links to literature on that?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

TDInc. statement regarding Raw Food Diet
Due to the volume of questions concerning the feeding of a raw diet, the TDInc. Board of Directors has
prepared the following statement:
Therapy Dogs Inc. does not restrict the choices that members make regarding what is fed to their canine
team partners. Therapy Dogs Inc. does require that participating dogs be clean and well groomed, have
trimmed/filed nails, clean teeth, be free of internal and external parasites, have an annual veterinary health
exam, including proof of a negative fecal exam and current rabies vaccination. Dogs must also be in
compliance with state and local laws regarding, but not limited to, vaccinations and licensing. We also
recommend that our handlers follow the advice of their veterinarians regard to the general health of their
companions.

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page