Books on Training Assistance Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Books on Training Assistance Dogs

For those who OT their own dog or are doing additional training now did you make use of any particular book to help you?

If you read many books did you find a certain author who seemed more helpful?

What part did you find did you the most good? Parts on obedience, task training, or the laws?

How about books that were more generalized and not particular for a SD but seemed to be of greater help?

I thought it would be nice to share as some of us are often asked to recommend a book to help first time OTs or even those that have a hand in training several of their dogs.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

I prefer in-person as they can catch more that I might be doing wrong. I prefer to have more then one trainer too (separate), as I like to take something from each, pick and choose what works for my dogs and myself. There isn't one trainer I ever completely agree with, which is good really as keeping your mind in an 'always learning' frame I feel is a good thing.

That aside when I first started out in the SD world 15 years ago (omg, still takes my breath as often can't believe my first girl is 12) I looked into the Teamwork books. And later the Turid Rugaas books. I found most help just talking to other teams with experience.

With my fourth SD (whose still with his litter) I've been invited to hook up with a nearby program for even more intensive training and backing.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Training a working dog of any kind on your own for the first time is not recommended without professional help. This is especially true when the dog is going to be exposed to the general public and may unknowingly be a liability as well as a safety risk for people that may come into contact with you and/or your dog. No book is going to substitute professional working dog training experience. But they help.
If you are looking to train your own Service Dog I encourage you to seek professional working/service dog trainers help.

If you are looking for a book to "Help", I would recommend this book by IACP Professional colleague Tammie Rogers. Tammie is one of the best trainers I know.

T.E.A.C.H. Your Own Service Dog

Link to book:

http://www.amazon.com/T-E-C-H-Your-Own-Service/dp/125703085X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362249703&sr=1-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I haven't read it yet but I know several people who have and they highly recommended it. If anyone has read it please let us know if you think it deserves a thumbs up.

HEALING COMPANIONS, Jane Miller
Quote from website:
Jane Miller, LISW, IAABC-CDBC & AABP- CDBC, is a licensed psychotherapist/clinical social worker, with a particular interest in holistic modalities of healing. She currently focuses on educating others about the legal, ethical, and practical criteria of working with Psychiatric Service Dogs (PSDs).
http://www.healing-companions.com/

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I myself have never read this book ...
It was recommended by a trainer/advocate that I know.

"Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Aggression, Reactivity, and Fear in Dogs" by Grisha Stewart

The info in this book was recommended to be read while working with a professional with a SD who has been attacked by another dog.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

I have not trained a service dog. However I have been told that the book "Teamwork II" is helpful. I haven't read it (yet) myself. Apparently the first book is more basics. There is also a DVD.
I've also been told the Take a Bow Wow videos can be useful for training some things, and this book "A Dog Who's Always Welcome: Assistance and Therapy Dog Trainers Teach You How to Socialize and Train Your Companion Dog" was recommended as useful for some of the basic socialization/training stuff even though it is more geared towards pet owners.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM

I've probably got 4' of shelf space devoted to dog books, and a few feet more on behaviorism/behavioral approaches to teaching and learning. At one time or another I've found (almost) all of them useful.

Donaldson's Train Your Dog Like a Pro was useful in clarifying some questions about the latest thoughts on training: not too different from what I've always done, but it helped me fine-tune my approach. Most's Training Dogs and Humphrey and Warner's Working Dogs were helpful in learning to see the dog as more than a pet or hunting companion. Teamwork I and Teamwork II were particularly useful in helping me recognize ways in which my dog could assist me. Hoffman's Lend Me an Ear showed me ways my dog could serve to alert me to things I was missing, (and to recognize how much I was missing). I found the discussions of targeting in Book and Smith's Right on Target and Spector's Clicker Training for Obedience to be very useful.

For task analysis--both to clarify what help I needed, and to design and teach the dogs--I went back to Martin and Pear's Behavior Modification and Miller's Principals of Everyday Behavior Analysis. I also consulted Lindsay's Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training on a number of occasions.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 PM

I am currently on the "hunt" for books on this topic. I have already picked up and read the Teamwork 1 and 2 books. I found them both very handy. I have a pretty firm grasp on the law end of things, but a good book is never turned down.

I also have used some of the more popular websites for information about the laws as they are easier to update with the any changes.

SFGSSD recommended the TEACH book above, but I am a big fan of reading the reviews first and it doesn't have but 2 reviews (1-1 star and 1-2 star) so looks like that one is out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM

Teamwork 1 & 2
Working like dogs
T.E.A.C.H

The Guide to Training an Autism Assistance Dog
A Guide to Training Your Own Seizure alert dog
Training Your Own Psychiatric Service Dog

There are a few more that I cannot think of f the top of my head right now but these ones are great

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

Last edited by curedba; 05-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Hey Curedba

I am curious and I am not trying to start world war 3 by asking questions. My husband had a service dog for seizure response. We are currently in the process of a program training another one for him (seizure response among other disabilities). I find it scary to see a book indicating that a person can train their dog for seizure alerting.

Have you read the book "A Guide to Training Your Own Seizure alert dog"?
Do you mind explaining the "alerting game"?

I looked for it on Amazon and they have it as "currently unavailable".

I guess to me it seems like it could potentially help those that want to train their own dog to help with a disability and following the ADA's laws. But since no one knows what a service dog actually picks on to start alerting. It almost looks like it might be a useful book to carry with a person who doesn't necessarily have a seizure disorder to claim their dog "alerts".

I am not trying to start a war. I have just been there and done that and the book holds me as to wonder 1) do they really know something or 2) are they trying to suck people in and not delivering.

Thanks for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page