Is this place legit??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

I probably shouldn't have answered so simply, lol.

But currently there is no federally recognized certification or registry of any kind. It doesn't matter what a place claims, what they're offering (selling) is meaningless and they're in it for the money. Federal law does not require any certification or registration for service dogs. To implement such a thing is an incredibly huge undertaking with many problems that limits the current civil rights of individuals with disabilities. Solving that problem as well as financing such a thing has not yet been done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Is this place legit??
Their logo does look very official doesn't it? Even has flag stripes behind the dog. With *United States* in their name sure tends to sound impressive. They have a nice looking website with lots of information that can also be found on many other sites.

Registration is free with this business. The ID, patches, certificates, etc. are not.

Registration has no legal standing. They say this on their website.

Registration with this company requires no documentation just the word of the owner that dog is a Service Dog.

Quote:
Not affiliated with any government agency. Registrant data is based on assertions by dog owner. Registration is not required by the ADA.

I don't have the info handy right now (on this particular company) but many Internet certification and/or registration businesses are located outside of the U.S. even if they have a U.S. mail service. I looked that point up for a FL Representative who was looking into working on a new SD law.

Concern, just again today I heard a PWD complaining about when he tried to enter a place of business with his SD. He was told he needed to present his dog's registration papers. When told there was no such official items and it was not even legal to ask for such the response was "Well there was a team that was here last week and they had registration papers." The situation ended up with the local police being asked to respond. This is something that I have read and heard many many times.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Concern, just again today I heard a PWD complaining about when he tried to enter a place of business with his SD. He was told he needed to present his dog's registration papers. When told there was no such official items and it was not even legal to ask for such the response was "Well there was a team that was here last week and they had registration papers." The situation ended up with the local police being asked to respond. This is something that I have read and heard many many times.
I think thats one of the most dangerous and damaging parts of these companies. Currently, most businesses do not know service dog law. They're usually informed of it by those entering with a dog... Which may or may not be an actual service dog and the information spouted may or may not be actual law. So even if someone with an actual SD buys into one of these registration or certification things to present it for public access, they're making the process more difficult for the next team that follows! The business will expect paperwork, believe its ok to request it. As service dog handlers we're representing ALL service dog handlers and should be doing our part to make it easier, not harder, for the next team.

I advise people carry around a copy of the business brief to share instead. I also have the websites bookmarked on my smartphone for easy access in a dispute.

pre ADA reformation act business brief ADA Business Brief: Service Animals
revised definition and law Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yeah, I didn't think it was legit.

A co-owner of one of my Cresteds just had a friend "sign up" the Crested at this place. My friend now things that makes her dog a registered therapy dog and she can go places with it.

Don't worry - I will be sure to explain to her that it means basically nothing (as nicely as I possibly can).
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Don't forget to explain the difference between service dog and therapy dog to her!

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Elite Member

They have been around for a while as they were mentioned on old threads on SD boards.

Pretty website and a talent with photoshop makes for a convincing scam.

Really it's the fakers getting scammed though.. so.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

They are not "Official" just like other Service Dog registry websites are not "Official". What they are doing is within the Law, currently the LAW limits them to verify the legitimacy of the team. YES, people including "Undercover people" could get registered if they LIED. The LAW is broken by the LIARS not the USSDR.

I know the owner, he wishes he could do more than he does but the LAW limits what he can do. His website clearly states "Not affiliated with any government agency. Registrant data is based on assertions by dog owner. Registration is not required by the ADA."

Keep in mind that the USSDR is only attempting to make life easier for PWD to avoid constant access challenge. This is not Illegal or a "Scam" what IS Illegal and a Scam is people breaking the law (lying) to be registered and identified by them or anyone. What law is broken by them? What law is broken by impersonating a disabled to gain privileges for the disabled?

With that said, there are others that CLEARLY take advantage by offering FAKE certification that the DOG is trained along with a vest etc.. The USSDR is not one of them. So if you want to go on a witch hunt with this, go after Gold Star or others that offer CERTIFICATION with nothing to back it, NOT just registration that the USSDR offers that is clearly withing the law.
It appears that the USSDR only crime is that there website looks to nice for your liking.

Last edited by SFGSSD; 03-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Registration is free with this business. The ID, patches, certificates, etc. are not.

Registration has no legal standing. They say this on their website.

Registration with this company requires no documentation just the word of the owner that dog is a Service Dog.

Quote:
Not affiliated with any government agency. Registrant data is based on assertions by dog owner. Registration is not required by the ADA.
So why do it? For the money? I'm sure some people will fall into this , maybe honest people , not realizing that it's really not a benefit for them.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page