SD Handlers & Therapy Dog Team - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,026
SD Handlers & Therapy Dog Team

TDI no longer allows people with disabilities to use their Assistance/Service Dogs to test as a new team.

This lastest info was given by Ursula A. Kempe, President of TDI, via emails and phone conversations over the last several days but not yet posted on their website.

For those of you who wish to do therapy work with your SD you will need to look into one of the other organizations.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
ILGHAUS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Master Member
 
guitarest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 871
Thats OK since they are not the end all in this decision. The AKC and even the Dept of Veterans Affairs makes their decision on a case by case basis....

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
guitarest is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,026
Quote:
Thats OK since they are not the end all in this decision.
If you mean that TDI is not the only choice in registering TD teams ...

One of the problems is that with some facilities they may be the only organization that is approved for visiting Therapy Dog teams. Many facilities only allow one organization to send teams.

They may also be the only organization evaluating in a large area. It is hard for a person who may not be able to drive to ask someone to transport them and their dog to a location a hundred of more miles away.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
ILGHAUS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Master Member
 
guitarest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
If you mean that TDI is not the only choice in registering TD teams ...
This is the overall problem with the entire system (With all service animals and therapy dogs). Its really specific yet loopholes everywhere. No certifications for SD's yet no means to say if this is a service animal or not. The ADA says only 3 tasks required to help disabled individual and its a service animal; assuming the individual also is actually disabled and has paperwork from doctor.

With respects to TD, the AKC is now offering not only a certification process but a searchable database free to the public. With the AKC also allowing all dogs from proper pedigrees to pound puppies they could be the real solution to the problem. IAADP has a good thought process going but no way to really instrument it because most have no idea who they are. So the AKC could really put a stop to all of those who have question if its safe to bring this TD into a patient facility; or even more important that dog thats barking with the Service dog vest on is it really a service dog or a pet. When I see these people with their pets, and many bark at Blitz I hold my head low because I know the real story behind their dogs. I have actually walked up to one woman and offered her all my "real paperwork" to have a real service animal and all she has to do is give me her knees so I can walk again with no pain....

Sorry venting........................................

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
guitarest is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Douglas, IL ( near St. Louis)
Posts: 3,278
The problem with the AKC program is you already have to be working (I believe 50 visits are required) to get your title. It is more of a reward for your work.
Andaka is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,026
Quote:
... The ADA says only 3 tasks required to help disabled individual and its a service animal; ...
Not on this thread's topic but an interesting topic nevertheless and deserves a thread of its own.

I did want to address this - the ADA (the 1990 Act itself passed by Congress and signed by President Bush) does not mention service animals on any level. The Dept. of Justice, the Federal Agency mandated to oversee Title II and Title III of the ADA, does not state the number of tasks needed by a Service Dog. The only guidance is in the wording where in several places they mention that a SD needs to be trained tasks to mitigate their handler's disability. *Tasks* (plural) tells us that there needs to be more than one.


Quote:
The problem with the AKC program is you already have to be working (I believe 50 visits are required) to get your title. It is more of a reward for your work.
This point by Andaka is a very good one.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
ILGHAUS is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Master Member
 
guitarest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 871
Did not know that about the AKC situation, hmmm more dang loop holes.

As for the 3 tasks I know this is correct because its what HUD is holding me accountable for with Blitz (he did pass their requirements). Long story short I have a huge HUD Complaint that's going on 2 years (in July) with a former apartment complex since they evicted me because of Blitz. During the time period he was supposed to be protected like myself under the ADA. The apartment could not say I wasn't disabled (100% DAV), also they could not say they were not notified and never received the "Request of Accommodation"; so the final thing I was asked for by HUD was what Blitz does for me. Then HUD told me it has to be a minimum of 3 special tasks; maybe its a HUD only thing? All I know is during the primarily investigation they complex was looking at only 3 violation of my ADA rights. After going through my paperwork from the VA, my personal email and other documents the complex slide under my door to the final act of wrongful eviction they are now looking at 10 different violations from the ADA, Fair Housing and my Civil Rights.

Jocko

King CKC GSD (he shall always be remembered)
Willie Collie Mix 7 yrs old
Sarge White GSD 7 yrs old
Blitz Von Vormund AKC DN28154--- 2 yr old
guitarest is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
Did not know that about the AKC situation, hmmm more dang loop holes.

As for the 3 tasks I know this is correct because its what HUD is holding me accountable for with Blitz (he did pass their requirements). Long story short I have a huge HUD Complaint that's going on 2 years (in July) with a former apartment complex since they evicted me because of Blitz. During the time period he was supposed to be protected like myself under the ADA. The apartment could not say I wasn't disabled (100% DAV), also they could not say they were not notified and never received the "Request of Accommodation"; so the final thing I was asked for by HUD was what Blitz does for me. Then HUD told me it has to be a minimum of 3 special tasks; maybe its a HUD only thing? All I know is during the primarily investigation they complex was looking at only 3 violation of my ADA rights. After going through my paperwork from the VA, my personal email and other documents the complex slide under my door to the final act of wrongful eviction they are now looking at 10 different violations from the ADA, Fair Housing and my Civil Rights.

Out of curiosity, what does objecting to your dog have to do with your CIVIL rights? I thought they had to do with age, race, gender, etc.

I didn't realize that one has civil rights based on your dog.
codmaster is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,026
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what does objecting to your dog have to do with your CIVIL rights? I thought they had to do with age, race, gender, etc.
ADA is a Civil Rights Law and complaints are filed as civil right violations.

The Dept. of Justice is only one agency overseeing part of the ADA with HUD being another.

***********************************

guitarest, since you are currently going through litigation proceedings you may want to be guarded on what you post in a public forum.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 05-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.
ILGHAUS is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
ADA is a Civil Rights Law and complaints are filed as civil right violations.

The Dept. of Justice is only one agency overseeing part of the ADA with HUD being another.

***********************************

guitarest, since you are currently going through litigation proceedings you may want to be guarded on what you post in a public forum.

I am not doubting you whatsoever - but what a crock! Civil Rights!!

Wonder if I might have more civil rights because I was born in RI? Smallest state in the Union! Heh! Heh!
codmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome