question about esa dogs and therapy dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

question about esa dogs and therapy dogs?

i was wondering if having adhd would qualify me to have a therapy dog or a emotional support dog in a apartment that doesn't allow dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM

THERAPY DOG

Per Delta Society:
Therapy animals and their handlers are trained to provide specific human populations with appropriate contact with animals. They are usually the personal pets of the handlers and accompany their handlers to the sites they visit, but therapy animals may also reside at a facility. Animals must meet specific criteria for health, grooming and behavior. While managed by their handlers, their work is not handler-focused and instead provides benefits to others.
http://www.deltasociety.org/Page.asp...ServiceTherapy

The owner/handler of a Therapy Dog does not have additional rights in Housing or Public Access over any other pet owner.

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG (ANIMAL)

Per Service Dog Central:
An Emotional Support Animal is a dog or other common domestic animal that provides theraputic support to a disabled or elderly owner through companionship, non-judgmental positive regard, affection, and a focus in life. If a doctor determines that a patient with a disabling mental illness would benefit from the companionship of an emotional support animal, the doctor write letters supporting a request by the patient to keep the ESA in "no pets" housing or to travel with the ESA in the cabin of an aircraft.
http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA

If your treating doctor or medical team deem that you have a disabling mental illness and enters such into your medical records then you may be able to have your dog live with you in no-pet housing. Only landlords in certain types of housing are required to accommodate you and allow your dog to live in the rental.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 11-21-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling typo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you I will try to ask my doctor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Crowned Member

To add to TJ's post, bear in mind that you can't simply walk up to your landlord with a letter from your doctor and your dog and say, "I just got an ESA and you must allow him." You have to request accommodation IN WRITING from your landlord, which usually includes a letter along with a statement from your doctor why you need the dog.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Master Member

If you really need an emotional support dog you should also be prepared to move to an apartment that will allow one if you are not in an apartment that is the type that will be able to allow an emotional support animal. Remember that the accomodation is based on need rather than want.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM

For awhile, I had an legal ESA as well. While the dog was not allowed in public places like a Service Dog, he did come in the Cabin with me, and when I moved to cheaper housing, he was welcomed there as well, even though he was over the weight limit.

Simon has since passed, but in order to get my ESA qualification, I had my medical doctor, as well as a Liscensed Psychiatrist write a letter of request on my behalf for both the airlines and housing. I still have the airline letter if you'd like me to type it up and pass it along to you for a sample of generally what a letter of request/diagnosis for an ESA will say.

With these two letters, I rarely encountered a problem. Both housing and the airlines accommodated myself and Simon just fine, so long as I was clear and open to my landlord/airlines about it, and Simon was well behaved/non destructive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page